Posted to rec.audio.car
OPUS OPUS is offline

Default 1996 Nissan Quest - No Power to Radio

I wonder if anyone has been thru this - I have a 1996 Nissan Quest GXE
- lost the alternator belt and battery died. I changed the belt - jump
started the van and all was well - except no power whatsoever to the
radio. It did work before the belt broke. All else works - heater & A/
C blowers, lights, horn, wipers, etc...Looked under the dash - two
fuses for audio; a 7.5amp and a 20 - both are fine. As a matter of
fact, all fuses are good - under the hood and under the dash.

I pulled the radio - no fuse at the back of the unit. Just FYI, the
power antenna is dead as well.

Any help would be appreciated...this is an older van we just do not
want to get rid of as a backup...only 100k and in great shape...I just
do not want to invest in a new radio...

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

This is a weird one............... the alternator belt breaking and
battery dying should not stop your radio from working after they are
replaced..........

I would check those fuses one more time.......... they can easily fool you
if you do a visual inspection only......... I would take them out and test
them with an ohm meter, to make sure they are not "open"

my goal if i were in your shoes would be to be 1000% certain that the
fuses aren't bad......... don't rely on visual inspection.

I would also get the car manual out and see if any other accessory operates
off these same fuses...... probably not, but I would want to check that
anyhow, and see if any other related accessory is affected by this change.

Please keep us posted on this one.........

James

Posted to rec.audio.car
OPUS OPUS is offline

On Jan 18, 2:16*pm, "James" wrote:
This is a weird one............... * the alternator belt breaking and
battery dying should not stop your radio from working after they are
replaced..........

I would check those fuses one more time.......... they can easily fool you
if you do a visual inspection only......... I would take them out and test
them with an ohm meter, to make sure they are not "open"

my goal if i were in your shoes would be to be *1000% *certain that the
fuses aren't bad......... *don't rely on visual inspection.

I would also get the car manual out and see if any other accessory operates
off these same fuses...... probably not, but I would want to check that
anyhow, and see if any other related accessory is affected by this change..

Please keep us posted on this one.........

James

James,

Thanks...you are absolutely right...I should double check the
fuses...I think when this first started a few months back I swapped
out some fuses with something else and still nothing, but it certainly
would not hurt to pick up a few new fuses and pop them in regardless.

I got the Haynes manual, but no help and nothing across the internet
so far. I did download the radio schematics from a site and have
double checked and there are no other fuses then those I have
checked.

There is an amp in the left rear of the van behind the panel...I can
pop an access panel and see the back of it and there are no visible in-
line fuses anywhere.

I'll replace the fuses tomorrow just to double check but if you can
think of anything, please let me know....and thanks for your kind
reply.
Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Honestly, I did give this a lot of thought, and if it is NOT the fuses, then
it will be difficult for you to figure it out I think. But now that you
mention an external amp, ( and I don't have much experience at this), but
as I recall, when you use an external amp, I think that the switching of
that amp to "on" is what triggers the head unit to come on.......... so, my
next step after re-checking the primary fuses again would be to **pull**
that amp and look closely for a fuse there on the amp. It could be in a
spot that you cannot see just by removing the access panel. If you have a
bad amp fuse, I honestly believe that would prevent your radio from coming
on.............

By the way, where is MOSFET when we need him ????? Come on and chime in
!!

Check it out !!!

James

Posted to rec.audio.car
OPUS OPUS is offline

On Jan 18, 7:47*pm, "James" wrote:
[...]

I really appreciate you putting your thoughts into this. I have a
little more if/when you have time.

I have attached links to two schematics - the first is the radio/
antenna diagram...it showed the two fuses I checked - the 7.5a and 10a
- one coming from the ignition switch and one coming from the
battery.

http://s479.photobucket.com/albums/r...issanquest.jpg

Looking at the diagram attached below, radio only, it shows two fuses
coming off of the ignition switch - one going to the amp...and a THIRD
fuse coming off the battery - I just noticed this this morning...I
swear. But I I just came in from looking for the third fuse off the
battery but cannot see where it is. As I said before, I did pull the
radio the other day and could see no internal fuse nor an in-line fuse
anywhere.

http://s479.photobucket.com/albums/r...sanquestII.jpg

I am convinced now that it is a fuse problem. Looking at the above
diagram, could that fuse coming off the ignition to the amp be located
all the way back at the amp?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ender W Ender W is offline

"OPUS" wrote in message
On Jan 18, 7:47 pm, "James" wrote:
[...]

I would check for a fuse under the hood
Sometimes the radio is tied in the the domelight fuse
or other accessories

Posted to rec.audio.car
OPUS OPUS is offline

http://s479.photobucket.com/albums/r...action=view&cu....

Looking at the diagram attached below, radio only, it shows two fuses
coming off of the ignition switch - one going to the amp...and a THIRD
fuse coming off the battery - I just noticed this this morning...I
swear. But I I just came in from looking for the third fuse off the
battery but cannot see where it is. As I said before, I did pull the
radio the other day and could see no internal fuse nor an in-line fuse
anywhere.

http://s479.photobucket.com/albums/r...action=view&cu....

I am convinced now that it is a fuse problem. Looking at the above
diagram, could that fuse coming off the ignition to the amp be located
all the way back at the amp?

I would check for a fuse under the hood
Sometimes the radio is tied in the the domelight fuse
or other accessories

James - you first thought was your best...pulled all fuses and hit
them with the multimeter - sure enough, the 10a looked
good........but....but....wait for it....it was BAD!

I have radio but a little short on pride now. I thank you so much for
your insights into this and if nothing else, use me as an example to
others who think all the fuses look good.
Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Fantastic OPUS !! That is super !!

Glad I could help, and the other points added by others were also
thoughtful.

About the "fuse meter check" , I have learned this the hard way, which as
you know, is the best way..........

good Luck !!

James

Posted to rec.audio.car

"OPUS" wrote in message

On Jan 18, 7:47 pm, "James" wrote:

[...]

Ender - thanks...as you can see, problem solved. Hope I can return
your kindness for responding someday!!!

Best.