Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

Default Sub wiring ----------------------------*

How should I wire my sub box?

I've got two 12" Mmats in a ported box. Currently they are wired in
series as they were being powered by a two-channel amp running in
bridged mono. Sadly, that amp is no longer working.
I'm gonna use a 4-channel amp now (Rockford DSM4080) bridged. I
assume this is the right way to go.
Should I rewire the subs for 2 seperate stereo(?) channels; one for
each of the two bridged channels from the amp?
Or are there other options?

SQ over SPL, BTW.
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Ericfg wrote:
How should I wire my sub box?

I've got two 12" Mmats in a ported box. Currently they are wired in
series as they were being powered by a two-channel amp running in
bridged mono. Sadly, that amp is no longer working.
I'm gonna use a 4-channel amp now (Rockford DSM4080) bridged. I
assume this is the right way to go.
Should I rewire the subs for 2 seperate stereo(?) channels; one for
each of the two bridged channels from the amp?
Or are there other options?

SQ over SPL, BTW.

If you are going to use a 4 channel amp, bridged, Stereo is the only way
you will be able to wire your subs. Bridge channels 1 & 2 then run them
to subwoofer 1. Bridge channels 3 and 4 then run them to subwoofer 2.
Whatever you do, make sure you DO NOT go below the recommended final
load for the amp, which I believe is 4 ohms when bridging. If you go
below 4 ohms, expect this amp to quit working too!

Sadly, I don't think you will be pushing enough power to your subwoofers
by bridging the 4080.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

If you are going to use a 4 channel amp, bridged, Stereo is the only way
you will be able to wire your subs. *Bridge channels 1 & 2 then run them
to subwoofer 1. *Bridge channels 3 and 4 then run them to subwoofer 2.
Whatever you do, make sure you DO NOT go below the recommended final
load for the amp, which I believe is 4 ohms when bridging. *If you go
below 4 ohms, expect this amp to quit working too!

Sadly, I don't think you will be pushing enough power to your subwoofers
by bridging the 4080.

Really? Shoot. Maybe I should trade down? Money is of course a HUGE
issue these days. So 2 10"s in a box might be better?
I wish I had the dough to repair that Art Series A600.....that was a
sweet amp. Gave years of glorious sound.
I am gonna try your ecommendation first though. My only concern was
running in stereo. Ideally I'd want an identical (mono) signal
running to my two subs, right?
Thanks for your help Chris!

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Ericfg wrote:
[...]

I was running subwoofers in stereo off of my amp not too long ago. The
only time it could cause problems is if you have both your subwoofers in
a shared chamber AND they encounter stereo bass. Stereo sub bass
frequencies are rare in this day and age.

OTOH, if you listen to One of These Days by Pink Floyd, you may notice
the stereo bass

Then again, I automatically assumed Dreadnauts when you said MMATS. IF
you have the P2 350 watt subwoofers, you may be able to get away with
using your 4080 bridged to them! Worse case, try it out and see what
happens. It won't cost you anything except time!

Lastly, I am seriously considering getting a MMATS D1600.2 to power two
8" Digital Designs 1508 subs! I currently have a DD1010 powered by a 25
to Life Punch 150 and no one ever believes me when I tell them that I
have a single 10" subwoofer!

Hope that helps you out and doesn't confuse you more!

- Chris

PS If you decide to get your amp fixed, I suggest looking into dB-r
electronics: http://www.db-r.com/

Chris has reasonable repair rates and does great work. Before you ask,
I am not him, we just happen to have the same first name (lol).

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

I was running subwoofers in stereo off of my amp not too long ago. *The
only time it could cause problems is if you have both your subwoofers in
a shared chamber AND they encounter stereo bass. *Stereo sub bass
frequencies are rare in this day and age.

OTOH, if you listen to One of These Days by Pink Floyd, you may notice
the stereo bass

The subs are in a shared box. And I do occasionally listen to that
type of music.

Then again, I automatically assumed Dreadnauts when you said MMATS.

Old Mmats Wavedrive(?). SVC

PS *If you decide to get your amp fixed, I suggest looking into dB-r
electronics: *http://www.db-r.com/

Thanks for the link on this guy!

So i did wire the 4080 up. Following the amp's manual. That thing is
loud! Way loud! Maybe too loud? I have the gain turned almost all
the way down. This is how I wired it.
The Rear output Left+ goes to the speaker Left-
The Rear output Right- goes to the speaker Right+
The Front output Left+ goes to the speaker Left+
The front output Right- goes to the speaker Right-
2 channel input BTW, not 4.

Is this series or parallel? What kind of impedence are we looking at?
There's no way in heck this Rockford can out-perform the old PPI
A600. What's the deal? I don't want to blow this up by doing
something stupid.

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Ericfg wrote:
[...]

Do not run your amp like that!

Rear output Left + should go to Left +
Rear output Right - should go to Left -

Front output Left + should go to Right +
Front output Right - should go to Right -

What you did was create some sort of bizarre strapping of the channels
and you might toast your amplifier!
Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

Do not run your amp like that!

But I copied it directly from the Rockford manual!?!?!

I might add, if I didn't mention it above, that the RF amp has a phase
shift switch and according to the manual I've engaged it in this case.

Rear output Left + should go to Left +
Rear output Right - should go to Left -

Front output Left + should go to Right +
Front output Right - should go to Right -

What you did was create some sort of bizarre strapping of the channels
and you might toast your amplifier!-

Somebody at the CA forums seems to think I have an 8 ohm load with
that wiring but I don't get it; the sound level is way higher that the
previous amp.
I think I should get some splitter cables for my RCA inputs, run four
channels and wire the speakers in normal stereo.
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Ericfg wrote:
Do not run your amp like that!

But I copied it directly from the Rockford manual!?!?!

I might add, if I didn't mention it above, that the RF amp has a phase
shift switch and according to the manual I've engaged it in this case.

Rear output Left + should go to Left +
Rear output Right - should go to Left -

Front output Left + should go to Right +
Front output Right - should go to Right -

What you did was create some sort of bizarre strapping of the channels
and you might toast your amplifier!-

Somebody at the CA forums seems to think I have an 8 ohm load with
that wiring but I don't get it; the sound level is way higher that the
previous amp.
I think I should get some splitter cables for my RCA inputs, run four
channels and wire the speakers in normal stereo.

Just double check your wiring to make sure you have your amp properly
bridged. There is no way you can make that particular 4 channel
amplifier a mono amp, unless I am thinking about the wrong RF.

OR, do you have dual voice coil subwoofers? I thought you said SVC earlier.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

Just double check your wiring to make sure you have your amp properly
bridged. *There is no way you can make that particular 4 channel
amplifier a mono amp, unless I am thinking about the wrong RF.

OR, do you have dual voice coil subwoofers? *I thought you said SVC earlier.- Hide quoted text -

I have checked it a couple times. It works, and works really loudly.
This Rockford (Punch 4080DSM) is an old RF, from before they turned to
crapola. I bought it in early 98 and it was used at the time.
Yes, SVC.

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Ericfg wrote:
Just double check your wiring to make sure you have your amp properly
bridged. There is no way you can make that particular 4 channel
amplifier a mono amp, unless I am thinking about the wrong RF.

OR, do you have dual voice coil subwoofers? I thought you said SVC earlier.- Hide quoted text -

I have checked it a couple times. It works, and works really loudly.
This Rockford (Punch 4080DSM) is an old RF, from before they turned to
crapola. I bought it in early 98 and it was used at the time.
Yes, SVC.

So you either have a severely under rated amp or your output voltage on
your HU is too much for the amp to handle, thus that is why it is so loud.

As long as it isn't distoring and everything is wired properly, I say
roll with it.

-Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
Ericfg Ericfg is offline

So you either have a severely under rated amp...

It's certainly good quality. But it was running the four door
speakers in the current system until the dedicated sub amp blew. Then
I moved this to be the sub amp and put in a 4 channel PPI to run the
door speakers. Maybe I have the gain too low on the new door speaker
amp? (I never thought of that until just now) When I installed that
amp I preset the gains to just under half way.

or your output voltage on your HU is too much for the amp to handle,

The HU actually goes to an EQ/Xover and from there to the amps. And
all that's been in place for a while before all this happened.

As long as it isn't distoring and everything is wired properly, I say
roll with it.

Right on bro! ! ! !
Thanks so much for your help with this Chris.

Help with wiring spongehead Car Audio 13 February 20th 06 11:03 AM
Amp Wiring Chris Car Audio 2 January 2nd 06 02:07 AM
Wiring an amp Chris Car Audio 6 August 20th 05 06:52 PM
Amp/sub wiring help jus711 Car Audio 7 April 14th 04 01:59 AM
wiring Graham Car Audio 4 September 22nd 03 06:02 PM