Posted to rec.audio.car
Mack[_2_] Mack[_2_] is offline

Default 8 ohm 6 x 9's?

I need to replace the factory installed speakers in
a 99 Dodge van. One is blown, and I'm damn sure not
going to try and match it. The thing is labeled "Oxford"
and also has a Chrysler emblem on it. So, there's no
telling who REALLY made it, or what the specs are.
While looking online for a replacement pair, I see that
nearly all 6 x 9 speakers are spec'd at 4 ohms. Some
are listed as 2 ohm (WTF?). I would prefer an 8 ohm
driver. Does anyone know of a decent 8 ohm 6 x 9
that's reasonably priced? I'm not looking for high end
esoteric stuff, nor 'bottom feeder' quality.
I'd put my upper spending limit at $100/pr.

TIA

--
Mack from Mass

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Mack wrote:
I need to replace the factory installed speakers in
a 99 Dodge van. One is blown, and I'm damn sure not
going to try and match it. The thing is labeled "Oxford"
and also has a Chrysler emblem on it. So, there's no
telling who REALLY made it, or what the specs are.
While looking online for a replacement pair, I see that
nearly all 6 x 9 speakers are spec'd at 4 ohms. Some
are listed as 2 ohm (WTF?). I would prefer an 8 ohm
driver. Does anyone know of a decent 8 ohm 6 x 9
that's reasonably priced? I'm not looking for high end
esoteric stuff, nor 'bottom feeder' quality.
I'd put my upper spending limit at $100/pr.

TIA

If you just want a woofer, this will work and is 8 ohms:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-837

Other than that, you will be hard pressed to find coax speakers that are
not 4 ohms for the automotive environment.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Mack[_2_] Mack[_2_] is offline

"ChrisB" wrote:

If you just want a woofer, this will work and is 8 ohms:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-837

Thanks. Don't need a woofer. Already have a dual VC 12" in a vented box.
That item lists a freq range of 35-350. I need full range.

Other than that, you will be hard pressed to find coax speakers that are
not 4 ohms for the automotive environment.

Apparently. I emailed PartsExpress and they carry none.
The closest I could find were for marine use. At about $200/pr,
I'm not interested.

It seems odd that car audio uses mainly 4 ohm. Most
professional applications are based on 8 ohm drivers. In fact,
many high end compression drivers are 16 ohm.
I guess the car audio market is more concerned with loudness,
more than sound quality.

--
Mack from Mass

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Mack wrote:
"ChrisB" wrote:

If you just want a woofer, this will work and is 8 ohms:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-837

Thanks. Don't need a woofer. Already have a dual VC 12" in a vented box.
That item lists a freq range of 35-350. I need full range.

Other than that, you will be hard pressed to find coax speakers that are
not 4 ohms for the automotive environment.

Apparently. I emailed PartsExpress and they carry none.
The closest I could find were for marine use. At about $200/pr,
I'm not interested.

It seems odd that car audio uses mainly 4 ohm. Most
professional applications are based on 8 ohm drivers. In fact,
many high end compression drivers are 16 ohm.
I guess the car audio market is more concerned with loudness,
more than sound quality.

I am amazed at how much has changed since the late 80s early 90s with
regards to 12 volt electronics. In the good old days, you had highly
efficient subwoofers with single voice coils. Now everything is DVC and
the efficiency with 1 watt @ 1 meter is in the 80 DB range.

DC Gold makes some highly efficient 8 ohm 6x9s but they will cost more
than double your initial budget:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DC-GOLD-N69C-BLA... 286.m20.l1116