Posted to rec.audio.car
Steve[_20_] Steve[_20_] is offline

Default blown amp?

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up against the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it on the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter what I try.
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

look steve, this is a $400 amp 1 minute. pick of junk the next
hobby..thats why i buy extra amps when i see them cheap..
stop ya crying.
you can buy a good cerwin vega amp $85....
cheaper than fixin the burnt up piece of junk ya have.
oh n steve. youll get use to that happening around the 3rd time....lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

oh steve, you should correct ya post.. its you ''had'' a jvc
amp.......sorry.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Steve[_20_] Steve[_20_] is offline

I can see that whole words are a difficult concept for you so I'll try to
put it into terms you can understand.

A JVC KD-S890 is a head unit. Inside theres a part that makes the signals
stronger. There's scorch marks around it on the circuit board. (still with
me?)

Is the head unit junk or can this be repaired?

"bob wald" wrote in message
look steve, this is a $400 amp 1 minute. pick of junk the next
hobby..thats why i buy extra amps when i see them cheap..
stop ya crying.
you can buy a good cerwin vega amp $85....
cheaper than fixin the burnt up piece of junk ya have.
oh n steve. youll get use to that happening around the 3rd time....lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

lol..''was'' a head unit.... you seem not to want to face the facts.....

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

Steve wrote:
I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up
against the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks
around it on the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter
what I try.

Although your head unit can be repaired, I would recommend replacing it.

Park Ave Electronics has one for $109.78 he
http://www.parkaveelectronics.com/pr...S890&l=Froogle

You would be hard pressed to get anything repaired for less than that.
Hell, one of the electronics shops in town requires a $150 deposit
before they will even look at anything. If the repair is less, they
refund you the difference. There are VERY FEW instances where the
repair is less than $150!

If you were looking to upgrade, now may be a good time OR you can just
replace with the same head unit, then plug in and go!

-Chris
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , ChrisB wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

Wow prices are crazy. I need a new HU for my truck, its broke, but it needs a subwoofer
low pass out to drive the sub. I bought that crazy Pioneer HU for $450 in 93
and a $300 CD changer. The Hu gave me problems early on. I also spent $55 for the manual.
That was an $800 system plus amps.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

GregS wrote:
In article , ChrisB wrote:
Steve wrote:
[...]

Yeah, tell me about it! I replaced the Skipper 500 Head Unit in my 2006
Mustang GT with an Alpine CDA-9885 from Crutchfield for a whopping $250
and they included the IPOD cable and installation kit. When the head
unit in the 1997 Civic started giving me problems, I went to Crutchfield
again, and purchased another CDA-9885 for it at the same price with
everything included. Hell, in January 2000, I remember paying $600 for
a pre-amp only Alpine deck that couldn't do half of what these can do!

As of late, my new attitude is to say screw CD changers. An 80 Gigabyte
IPOD kicks ass, especially when you encode your music in Apple Lossless
format! Another plus is that I saw the light when I used to DJ and
ripped all my music at 320 kbps, so those MP3s sound pretty dang good too.

Oh well, I went off on a tangent, but yes, I am amazed at how prices
have come down myself!

-Chris
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

ohh please.. stop..i used a box of kleenex already...lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher Ott Christopher Ott is offline

I've never been inside that HU, but if you can post the markings on the IC,
I might be able to point you in the right direction for a replacement. A
digital photo would be helpful too. No guarantee's, but the amplifier IC is
usually pretty cheap and from what you describe, is likely to be the only
thing damaged.

Chris

"Steve" wrote in message

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up against
the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it on
the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter what
I try.

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

bob wald wrote:
ohh please.. stop..i used a box of kleenex already...lol

and some guy named Bob ended up with my Sherwood amps (sniff, sniff)...

On a serious note, I am amazed at what you get for the price these days
compared to the insane prices I managed to pay for equipment in the late
80s and early 90s. I guess technological advances and moving
manufacturing to countries with slave labor wages has its advantages...
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

i only buy new....now go cry some more.....

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

bob wald wrote:
i only buy new....now go cry some more.....

I actually purchased a Rockford Fosgate Power 1000 25 to Life amp today
on closeout for less than 1/3 of the retail price! I will let you know
how I like it as soon as I figure out what sub I am going to put in my
2006 Mustang GT.

Do you have any thoughts on the new Hifonics Zeus series amps? I am
thinking about getting one for my 1997 Civic EX. Again, I need to
figure out what sub I want to put in it.
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

rf.....lol isnt rf power hogs????

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

bob wald wrote:
rf.....lol isnt rf power hogs????

Yeah, but this price was too good to pass up! In 1990, I paid MORE for
a Punch 150 than I paid for this brand new Power 1000 25 to Life amp!

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

always wanted to try the hifonics amps..but again...just wasnt in the
cards..i bought boss instead......lol
hifonics looked kinda too big.
i bought acouple boss ''riots'' amps...
loved the see thur windows....lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
ChrisB ChrisB is offline

bob wald wrote:
always wanted to try the hifonics amps..but again...just wasnt in the
cards..i bought boss instead......lol
hifonics looked kinda too big.
i bought acouple boss ''riots'' amps...
loved the see thur windows....lol

I am going to get one within the next 3 months or so. They seem to be a
pretty good value for the price you pay.
Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

yeah n a 5-6 warrenty! or use to have it...

Posted to rec.audio.car
Barry & Nikki Barry & Nikki is offline

I have not come in contact with any "cheap" internal amplifier chips.
Especially if you go through a parts supplier. I use to repair stuff on a
regular basis and now and again to this day. The IC's that Pioneer stereos
use are always pricey at $50 or more. I've come across a few "close out"
deals on some older chips but most of the mosfets used in today's stuff seem
to be considered gold when it comes to prices that are charged for them. Add
in a repair shops inflated labor costs and you might as well just purchase a
new unit.

With that said if you need one I have a few 100 "older" head-units available
or if you want to attempt the repair yourself I may be able to scrounge
up an IC for ya if you let me know the labeling on it. I don't want to go
dig up my service manual that is in storage to find the info. As for doing
it yourself a lot of today's stereos have 3-layers of circuit board traces
and most of the time you damage the inner layer when removing the IC if you
don't have the proper tools or a LOT of luck.

"Steve" wrote in message

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up

against
the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it on
the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter

what
I try.

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Huh? I just repaired a top of the line 300W Sony ES home power amp with
a STK class A driver IC that cost all of $5.98 on Ebay. You telling me
the ouput IC in a $179 Pioneer HU is going to cost 10X what this bigger
driver IC in an expensive home amp sells for? Give me a part number!

JD

Barry & Nikki wrote:

[...]

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up

against

the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it on
the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter

what

I try.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Barry & Nikki Barry & Nikki is offline

I said if you go through a parts supplier. I don't consider Greedbay a parts
supplier. I have gotten deals on Greedbay however like the one that you
mention. Greedbay though is a HUGE market for knock-off/fake IC's that are a
heck of a lot less stable and unreliable than name brand.Yes I am saying
your $179 Pioneer HU can cost you quite a bit to replace a blown chip. I bet
that IC you purchased would be at least in the $30 or up range.

Luckily I have not had to replace any as of late but I know about two year
ago Pacific Coast Parts wanted $59 for a PAL004A. Luckily I did find it's
alternative on Greedbay. Just because a part is larger than another does not
determine it to be more expensive. If you want to look up a part look up the
PAL007A on Greedbay; its even $27 then scroll down and look what one seller
wants and pleads to get for his/her PAL005A. WOW someone must be desperate
if they want to pay that price. Heck I have a few I'd sell someone for 1/2
that

Barry & Nikki wrote:

[...]

"Steve" wrote in message
.. .

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up

against

the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it

on
the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter

what

I try.

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

Actually, you first said you had not come in contact with any cheap
amplifier chips, followed by the comment about parts suppliers.

It's the "Heck I have a few I'd sell someone for 1/2 that" thought
process that makes it possible to find a lot of those parts on Ebay for
a lot less than full retail.

I gather from your inability to write "Ebay" that you find their
services not only of no value but somehow criminal... I don't think
anyone is ever going to mistake them for a philanthropic organization
(particularly if they keep whittling away at the sellers' position &
increasing fees, in favor of increasing the number of unqualified &
unrealistic buyers), but nobody does a better job of allowing you to
easily turn your junk into someone else's junk for fun & profit, or to
fill your house with someone else's junk at a reasonable cost. For all
of its flaws it has transformed the used electronics business (just to
cite one segment) and impacts the buying habits of millions. Am I to
assume you think that should be done without charging anything? You said
yourself you were lucky to find the alternative part you needed instead
of paying PCP $59, does that make Ebay greedy or you cheap? Seems pretyt
hypocritical, no?

As for knock-offs, that's a good point... but the guys making big money
in fake semi's are mostly doing it selling them to greedy or desperate
factories in Asia that are being squeezed to maintain their costs so we
can enjoy $59 power amps over here. Buying knock-offs can mean they can
continue to make their profits in the process. Or you have places that
don't pay enough attention to their incoming parts inspection, have
buyers on the take, etc. etc.

Pretty tough to pay for a largescale knock-off operation selling
onesy-twoesy on Ebay...

Buying from authorized part houses like PCP or Andrews etc. isn't a
guarantee that you'll avoid knock-offs, a lot of fully legit companies
have been stung in the past. It does however guarantee you'll be paying
full retail though, unless you establish a business account with them.

JD

news:s9adnYjYZJ2UGvfVnZ2dnUVZ_tLinZ2d@giganews. com...

"Steve" wrote in message

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up

against

the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it

on

the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter

what

I try.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Anthony[_4_] Anthony[_4_] is offline

Hi Steve,

Determining whether or not it is worth repairing really depends on how much
damage was done to the circuit board. If the copper traces are still intact
and there is just a bit of residue from the point of failure there's a good
chance you will be able to repair the unit inexpensively by tracing the
fault and then replacing all affected parts.

If the copper traces on the circuit board scorched away then there must have
been such a catastrophic failure that you probably would not trust the unit
even if it was able to be repaired.

The fact that a fuse did not blow probably suggests that either the
amplifier in the head unit consisted of a single IC, and it quickly failed
to an open circuit condition, or some form of circuit protection activated
if the amplifier IC failed short.

- Anthony

"bob wald" wrote in message
look steve, this is a $400 amp 1 minute. pick of junk the next
hobby..thats why i buy extra amps when i see them cheap..
stop ya crying.
you can buy a good cerwin vega amp $85....
cheaper than fixin the burnt up piece of junk ya have.
oh n steve. youll get use to that happening around the 3rd time....lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
Anthony[_4_] Anthony[_4_] is offline

This is a very good point. If you are going to attempt the repair yourself,
and are not experienced with soldering, try to find a friend who is. Use
low-temp irons, take your time, and use quality equipment. I refuse to use
anything other than my trusty Metcal when doing repairs.

Metcal gun + air compressor + patience = a good, solid repair!

- Anthony

om...

"Steve" wrote in message

I have a JVC KD-S890. I take it that the component presed right up

against
the heat sink is the amp. I'm guessing that the scorch marks around it
on
the PCB means the amp is fried. Is this the case?
The unitturns on and plays a CD fine, but no sound comes out no matter

what
I try.

Any use for blown tweeters? Colin B. Tech 7 March 13th 05 10:45 PM
blown tweeters Troll Tech 13 December 24th 04 03:07 PM
Blown Sub Marcus Car Audio 13 July 13th 04 11:17 PM
How do i tell if sub is blown??? [email protected] Car Audio 1 March 1st 04 06:09 AM
Blown JBL Jeffrey Landgraf Pro Audio 2 September 16th 03 09:31 AM