Posted to rec.audio.car
Dan Dan is offline

Default bizarre audio problem

I have a 1995 E36 (i.e. BMW 325) convertible with a completely stock, non-HK
stereo, i.e. cassette/radio in the dash and CD changer in the trunk. When I
turn it on (radio/cassette/CD - it doesn't matter which) it only plays from
the right side speakers until I turn it up to about 60% at which point the
left side speakers start to play. When this happens the volume drops from
the RH speakers, presumably because some power is now being to the LH
speakers.

The problem (apart from the fact that I'd like to have stereo even at low
volumes) is that because it is sending power to only one set of speakers,
they play much louder, so it is hard to get a required volume level.

Does anyone know what could be the problem and how I would fix it? I want to
keep the current (stock) head unit if possible.

Dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

Could be an intermittant connection in the amp section of the radio, or
could be a scratchy volume control. If you can get the head out and spray
some contact cleaner on the volume control, I would try that first.

Just a thought.............

Good Luck,

James

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lee[_14_] Lee[_14_] is offline

Usually this is due to a partially blown speaker; a burn in the coil or
whiskers resulting in a near break in the circuit which is only
overcome by applying enough current (turning the volume up). Swap the
speakers; take the known working speaker and place it in the position
of the failing speaker, if the problem goes away, you've confirmed that
it is the speaker.

--
Lee

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dan Dan is offline

Surely the fact that all the speakers on the left refuse to work at lower
volumes means that this is not the problem?

Dan

"Lee" wrote in message

Usually this is due to a partially blown speaker; a burn in the coil or
whiskers resulting in a near break in the circuit which is only
overcome by applying enough current (turning the volume up). Swap the
speakers; take the known working speaker and place it in the position
of the failing speaker, if the problem goes away, you've confirmed that
it is the speaker.

--
Lee

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lee[_15_] Lee[_15_] is offline

That is reasonable. You may want to test results while using the fader;
otherwise I'd start to suspect a failure within the unit itself
(probably the volume pot), or the unit's external amplifier if it has
one. There are many things that could result in these symptoms, but you
are right, I'd rule out the speakers considering you're using 4 channel
outputs AND both front and rear speakers share the problem.

Dan;2286498 Wrote:
Surely the fact that all the speakers on the left refuse to work at
lower volumes means that this is not the problem?

Usually this is due to a partially blown speaker; a burn
in the coil or whiskers ...

--
Lee
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over TWO million posts online!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dan Dan is offline

I have testeds it with the fader. It is definitely the whole side. Any idea
what might be the most likely cause? Should I assume amplifier (there in
external BMW) amp) or head unit?

And, BTW, what the hell happened to this formerly great newsgroup?

Dan

Dan;2286498 Wrote:
Surely the fact that all the speakers on the left refuse to work at
lower volumes means that this is not the problem?

Usually this is due to a partially blown speaker; a burn
in the coil or whiskers ...

--
Lee
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over TWO million posts online!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lee[_16_] Lee[_16_] is offline

Lee wrote in message

That is reasonable. You may want to test results while
using the fader; otherwise I'd start to suspect a failure
within the unit itself (probably the volume pot), or the
unit's external amplifier if it has one.

I wouldn't assume anything. If you have the ability to reverse the
inputs to the factory amplifier you can clarify if the problem is before
the amp or not. Reverse the inputs and if the problem changes sides,
it's coming from the source unit or its cables depending on where you
did the reversal; if it does not change sides, the problem is at the
point of reversal or after, meaning the amp or the wires after it.

Dan Wrote:
And, BTW, what the hell happened to this formerly great newsgroup?

Trolls and spam I'd think.

--
Lee
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over TWO million posts online!

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

As stated previously by two posts, a likely culprit is a scratchy volume
control, which can usually be fixed by contact spray on the control, if you
can get to it.

--James--

have testeds it with the fader. It is definitely the whole side. Any idea
what might be the most likely cause? Should I assume amplifier (there in
external BMW) amp) or head unit?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Dan Dan is offline

I sprayed tons of contact cleaner on the vopulme control and it did not
help. However when I wiggle the shaft of the volume control the left side
comes in and out. I am going to try swapping ina pot for a different unit.

Dan

"James" no wrote in message
As stated previously by two posts, a likely culprit is a scratchy volume
control, which can usually be fixed by contact spray on the control, if
you can get to it.

--James--

have testeds it with the fader. It is definitely the whole side. Any idea
what might be the most likely cause? Should I assume amplifier (there in
external BMW) amp) or head unit?

Posted to rec.audio.car
James James is offline

I am not sure how you sprayed the control, if you were able to actually
access the inside of the head unit or not.

On one occasion, I was able to take the radio out of the car, and hold it up
vertically so that the vol control shaft is vertical, and spray cleaner on
the shaft itself, and eventually it ran down into the pot and cleaned it !!
So, I was able to fix the pot without going into the inside of the radio.

But, it appears that at least, you have probably isolated your problem.

Good luck !!

James

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lee[_19_] Lee[_19_] is offline

Dan Wrote:
I sprayed tons of contact cleaner on the vopulme
control and it did not help. However when I wiggle
the shaft of the volume control the left side comes
in and out. I am going to try swapping ina pot for
a different unit.

You might try just re-soldering the one that's in there to start with -
sounds like it could be just a bad solder point.