Posted to rec.audio.car
Evan[_4_] Evan[_4_] is offline

Default can u make a sub box for a car out of sheet metal?

or does a box just have to be wood because the wood conveys the sound
better

--
Evan
Evan's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1096

Posted to rec.audio.car

I think you can.

--
«????»
«????»'s Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1097

Posted to rec.audio.car
Lynn B Lynn B is offline

No to the sheet metal. Use wood or ultra thick plexi-glass. The sound
will be alot better.

--
Lynn B
Lynn B's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1098

Posted to rec.audio.car
Malty21 Malty21 is offline

Teh acoustics would be horrible. I would look to cover a wood one made
of MDF with sheet metal if you wanted that look.

--
Malty21
Malty21's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1099

Posted to rec.audio.car
desol8tionangel desol8tionangel is offline

Yes you can!!! BUT- it will take proper tools,and you will need to
protect the contacts from hitting the metal. The box will work, but will
produce a hollow, tinny effect (not good) A way around this is to line
the metal with carpet or rubber,or even fiberglass insulation......

It sounds easier and simpler to use wood, but I think outside the box
too!!! You can make it work, and besides--how many ppl can claim they
have a meal sub enclosure???

ALSO--USE RUBBER WASHERS AT SCREWHOLES TO DAMPEN THE SHOCK BETWEEN
THE FRONT SIDE OF THE SPEAKER AND THE CONTACT POINTS ON THE METAL

Good luck to ya!!!

--
desol8tionangel
desol8tionangel's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1100

Posted to rec.audio.car
forefune forefune is offline

Make a flat pattern allowing at least one and one half the thickness if
the metal for the bends, preferably more.

When you get your pattern done it should allow one to bend

all sides so the the finished produce can be sealed at the corners.

You have to line the interior with foam and egg cartons.

Bass has to be in compression or the speaker blows out.

Also the bass energy need to be reflected of a vertical surface

that can handle the sound energy without vibrating to much.

there should be a 10 to 15 degree angle for reflection of the sound.

Use Gorrilla tape if you cannot afford to have housing welded.

--
forefune
forefune's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1101

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , Lynn B wrote:

No to the sheet metal. Use wood or ultra thick plexi-glass. The sound
will be alot better.

1/4 inch steel or aluminum would work. Will need some bracing and damping
like all boxes.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

You can make a sub box out of virtually any material as long as it meets
certain criteria. First, it must be airtight obviously. And second, it
MUST NOT flex or resonate. Sheet metal would certainly not be my first
choice for exactly that reason (like a bell, metal has a tendancy to
resonate). Think about it, if the walls of your subwoofer are flexing or
resonating in any way, this flexing requires energy that is wasted, energy
that SHOULD be reinforcing the sound energy.

If your sheet metal is thick enough I suppose that would work OK. Actually,
the VERY BEST material for building a subwoofer enclosure would be some type
of stone like marble or granite. This would ensure absolutely no resonance
of the enclosure, ergo no lost energy. However, because of the weight and
the difficulty of working with stone (attaching slabs together, ect.)
virtually no one builds their enclosures out of it except, perhaps, for some
esoteric home audio subwoofers. MDF is probably the most popular material
because it is extremelly rigid, yet easy to work with.

Anyway, that's my $.02,

MOSFET

"Evan" wrote in message

or does a box just have to be wood because the wood conveys the sound
better

--
Evan
Evan's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1096
View this thread: http://www.zerohurtz.com/showthread.php?t=69717

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

On a DIY show i saw somebody using SFDF super fine density. i would not
know what it is if I saw it.

There is a website of somebodys home theater where dual horns are under
the floor from cement formed walls.

Marble and granite do ring up out of the range of the woofer. It can become a
problem and needs to be damped in the upper registers.

If you lamanate, you can use all kinds of combinations of materials.
Plexaglass/aluminum is popular.

greg

"Evan" wrote in message

or does a box just have to be wood because the wood conveys the sound
better

--
Evan
Evan's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1096
View this thread: http://www.zerohurtz.com/showthread.php?t=69717

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

There is a website of somebodys home theater where dual horns are under
the floor from cement formed walls.

Marble and granite do ring up out of the range of the woofer. It can
become a
problem and needs to be damped in the upper registers.

If you lamanate, you can use all kinds of combinations of materials.
Plexaglass/aluminum is popular.

greg

True. Though I have never used plexiglass it makes excellent enclosures (as
long as the surfaces are curved for rigidity) as they are light (much
lighter than MDF) and VERY rigid (hence no flexing or resonating).

A common misconception is that different materials affect the sound quality
of the bass. This is not true. The point I was really tring to make was
that if the sound quality IS different between materials (given the same
internal airspace, and same size port if bass-reflex type), then there is a
PROBLEM with the subwoofer enclosure. In other words, MDF (or any type of
wood) enclosures don't "sound" any different than fiberglass enclosures,
stone enclosures, metal enclosures, ect. as long as they meet the two basic
requirements I mentioned before A) must be airtight and B) must not resonate
or flex.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy[_3_] Captain Howdy[_3_] is offline

How about saving your $.02 and repaying all those that your ripped off on
Ebay.

Anyway, that's my $.02 to get you started.

"Evan" wrote in message

or does a box just have to be wood because the wood conveys the sound
better

--
Evan
Evan's Profile: http://www.zerohurtz.com/member.php?userid=1096
View this thread: http://www.zerohurtz.com/showthread.php?t=69717

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Yes, you've mentioned that Nick Tanner character before. He definately
sounds like a scam artist and should be avoided at all costs.

Rick Spanner