Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Hey guys! Anyone still around?

Geez, what the hell happened to this group? I got a new job about four
months ago and have been very busy and have not had the time to surf the net
like I used to. But what the hell happened to this venerable institution?
Since 1995, RAC has always been one of my favorite groups to visit. It's
kind of sad to see it has been invaded and, more or less, destroyed.

Anyway, if any of the old timers happen to read this I hope all is well with
you.

I suppose with the quality of stock stereos improving on new cars AND the
fact that newer stock car stereos are often very integrated electronically
and physically (with the dash), it's not surprising to see that the
after-market world just isn't what it used to be, which gives us less to
talk about.

Anyway, as far as what's new with my system, there's quite a bit (I HAVE NOT
LOST THE BUG!!!!). As promised, I finally upgraded to a Class D amp to
drive my pair of 12" MTX MXS's (same as 7500 series, just silver instead of
black). I bought a new Alpine MRP-M850. Connected in parallel, each sub
gets 400 watts which seems to be just PERFECT (more than the previous amp
that was driving them, a Soundstream Ref. 700 that I sold). Everything they
say about Classs D is true. The increase in bass output is VERY noticeable
yet the amp stays cool and my voltage doesn't drop like a stone when I
really punch it.

Also, I replaced my head unit. The white touch strip on my Alpine 9853
started acting really screwy, like it had a mind of it's own. I took the
unit apart and cleaned the inside thoroughly (as I have often done in the
past with my Alpine's) but the problem persisted. It was like someone was
ALWAYS touching the strip and made operating the thing almost impossible,
and certainly annoying as hell. I suppose there's a lesson there. Never be
the first person to try a new technology. I noticed none of Alpine's
current line-up include the touch-strip. So although I COULD have ordered a
new faceplate, I decided I didn't want to just have the problem again in six
months so I bought a new '07 model Alpine, the Alpine 9885 which I have been
VERY happy with. Although I do not have Bass Engine Pro, I DO have bass and
treble controls again (yeh!) and it does have high and low pass x-overs (all
my amps have x-overs as well). Also, I use a 7 band Clarion EQ so I really
don't miss the features Bass Engine Pro possessed.

I have a Sansa 8 gig MP3 player and my next purchase will be the Alpine
KCA-620M which is a USB adaptor. It will tie my Sansa into my Alpine so
that the Sansa controls can be operated from the Alpine, it will also power
the Sansa because it is a USB2 input (and that's how the rechargeable
battery gets it's power), and the song titles will display on the Alpine's
bio-lite display. I'm looking forward to this because I ALREADY have my
Sansa tied into my Alpine the traditional way (with an 1/8" stereo plug from
the headphone jack to RCA right and left that goes into my Alpine via an
adaptor), and I find I use that (the Sansa MP3 player) more than ANY other
source (like burning discs or the radio). Alpine promises that this will
interface with ANY non-iPod MP3 player (for an iPod, there are other
adaptors you must buy).

Anyway, I love the new Alpine, and glad to be rid of that damn touch strip.
BTW, on this unit you can change the famous Alpine "crystals" to red, a
color I have never seen before (green isn't even an option on this unit, so
much for remembering the past).

Anyway, besides those changes, everything else is the same (all the speakers
for instance) and working perfectly. For a non-updated (it still shows my
Soundstream driving my subs for instance) look at my system at:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2359697

Anyway, it would be nice to hear from some of the old timers and if they are
still into car audio!!!!

Take care,

MOSFET aka Nick Tanner

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
Geez, what the hell happened to this group? I got a new job about four
months ago and have been very busy and have not had the time to surf

the net
like I used to. But what the hell happened to this venerable

institution?

It's your fault... it all withered up without you.

Since 1995, RAC has always been one of my favorite groups to visit.

It's
kind of sad to see it has been invaded and, more or less, destroyed.

If you're talking about the sporge flood, well... it's not exclusive to
r.a.c (although it seems the worst here of the groups I've seen it in).

Anyway, if any of the old timers happen to read this I hope all is

well with
you.

Well to keep it on-topic, my car is toast (blown head gasket, no time or
warm space to repair it in), so my "stereo" enjoyment is limited to the
factory system in my '03 MPV work van.

Also, I replaced my head unit. The white touch strip on my Alpine 9853
started acting really screwy, like it had a mind of it's own. I took

the
unit apart and cleaned the inside thoroughly (as I have often done in

the
past with my Alpine's) but the problem persisted. It was like

someone was
ALWAYS touching the strip and made operating the thing almost

impossible,
and certainly annoying as hell. I suppose there's a lesson there.

Never be
the first person to try a new technology.

I've been disappointed with "new technology" ever since everyone started
getting rid of real analog audio controls in favor of packing a dozen
functions into three buttons. My first experience owning such a deck
was an Alpine, and the buttons started going flaky within a few months,
causing no end of consternation. My ebay-obtained 7904 will be the
centerpiece of any future systems as long as it keeps working.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear from some of the old timers and if

they are
still into car audio!!!!

Well, here ya go!
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
MOSFET wrote:
Geez, what the hell happened to this group? I got a new job about four
months ago and have been very busy and have not had the time to surf

the net
like I used to. But what the hell happened to this venerable

institution?

It's your fault... it all withered up without you.

That was my strong hunch, but I didn't want to come off sounding arrogant,
Matt you ignorant neophite.

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Looks very solid. As an EE, I always appreciate seeing quality circuit
breakers, properly installed and neat wiring to go along with it. A cap on
each amp is a nice bonus, and the various ECM's and other electronics
probably appreciate the cap under the hood. You should add some photos of
the other speakers too.

Do you like your Subaru? My wife and I test drove an Outback XT (5 speed
with the turbo), and that thing was pretty ballsy. I was expecting a little
wussmobile, and it could have easily outrun my 280zx. You're in WA right?
Pretty much the same weather we have in OR. AWD would be nice to have...

Chris

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Actually, I USED to love my Subaru quite a bit. With it's all-wheel-drive
it seemed to NEVER slip no matter how much ice, mud, or snow I might
encounter. That is really a plus and as my house is kind of at the bottom
of a muddy drivewa and I have no doubt it has helped ensure I am never late
to work.

That being said, when gas prices sky-rocketed 4-6 years ago, my feelings
began to change. The all-wheel-drive gets TERRIBLE (like 10-15 MPG) gas
milage and as my work is 30 miles away. I found myself putting in about $20
PER DAY just to get to work and back. That may not seem like a lot, but let
me tell you, IT ADDS UP!!!!

Anyway, that would be my ONLY complaint. It has been one of the most
reliable cars I have ever owned and for that reason alone (well, and the
fact that taking out the stereo and putting it in a new car would be a
nightmare) I have no immidiate plans to trade it in for something else, at
least until winter is over.

But I would certainly recommend the Subaru Forrester (or the Outback) if you
are looking for a car that is reliable, roomy, and can handle ANY driving
conditions. Perhaps Subaru has worked out how to get better gas mileage out
of their all-wheel-drive system. I imagine so.

MOSFET

"Christopher "Torroid" Ott" spamtrap at ottelectronics dot com wrote in
message ...
"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:

But I would certainly recommend the Subaru Forrester (or the Outback) if you
are looking for a car that is reliable, roomy, and can handle ANY driving
conditions. Perhaps Subaru has worked out how to get better gas mileage out
of their all-wheel-drive system. I imagine so.

Even Subaru's FWD cars have amazing traction. I used to have a FWD '82
GL sedan, and lemme tell you, it ate snow for breakfast. Fresh 6" fall
didn't slow it down a whit. Even the guy with the Jeep in the next
house had more trouble getting out of our back alley. The low COG in
their boxer engines really aids handling, and the damn things are nearly
indestructible: when we last had the GL, it threw a rod in the #2
cylinder, but it just kept running, albeit very noisily. Any other car
probably would have ended up with the rod protruding through a gaping
hole in the block, but not the Subaru. A friend bought the car from us
and drove it home, where he repaired it and drove it for several more years.

Oh, and if you like driving a manual shift, Subaru's Hill-Holder brake
system is just unbeatable.
Posted to rec.audio.car
Christopher \Torroid\ Ott Christopher \Torroid\ Ott is offline

The newer ones do get better mileage. And the Subaru AWD system is arguably
the best on any production vehicle (I've read reviews which even put it
ahead of the Audi Quattro.) The horizontally opposed "wet" engine is pretty
cool too.

We have it narrowed down to either a 2008 Ford Edge AWD or a 2008 Subaru
Outback XT. The Ford seems to be coming in first right now. It simply feels
like a more solid and comfortable car. The Subaru has the feeling of a
delicate Japanese car even though it is probably more nimble and capable on
wet roads and other extreme conditions. Still trying to get some data on how
the Edge AWD system handles snow and ice. We don't get much here, but when
we do we can't even get out of the driveway.

Winter's only got a few more months now, probably will hold off for
awhile...

Chris

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

"MOSFET" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Christopher "Torroid" Ott wrote:

We have it narrowed down to either a 2008 Ford Edge AWD or a 2008 Subaru
Outback XT. The Ford seems to be coming in first right now. It simply feels
like a more solid and comfortable car. The Subaru has the feeling of a
delicate Japanese car even though it is probably more nimble and capable on
wet roads and other extreme conditions. Still trying to get some data on how
the Edge AWD system handles snow and ice. We don't get much here, but when
we do we can't even get out of the driveway.

Winter's only got a few more months now, probably will hold off for
awhile...

Just remember what FORD stands for...

Fix Or Repair Daily
Flip Over Read Directions
****ed On Race Day

and backward, it's:
Driver Returns On Foot

Hi Guys! [email protected] Pro Audio 21 February 15th 05 06:12 PM
thanks guys... Tubetwang Vacuum Tubes 4 January 1st 05 03:51 AM
hey 845 guys, try this Adam Stouffer Vacuum Tubes 0 August 8th 04 02:02 AM
Please guys! Sander deWaal Audio Opinions 19 August 7th 04 05:39 PM
You guys SSadler Pro Audio 0 July 14th 04 12:59 AM