Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] danno@netwiz.net is offline

Default aux battery isolation/installation

I would like to install a spare (deep cycle) battery in my fishing
truck and have it selectively isolated from the rest of the electrical
system. What I want is to be able to listen to the truck's sound
system while car camping/fishing whatever and not have to worry about
having a battery to get started in the morning should I leave the
thing on too long. I know that some of you guys recommend a second
(or more) battery for supplying additional power to amplifiers and
this would be similar in that I'd like it to recharge from the alt.
only I'd also like to be able to switch it out from the main bat so if
I pass out with the tunes on I won't be stuck out in middle of B.F.E.
with no one within fifty miles to give me a jump. Whatever our
suggestions the hardware is probably cheaper than rehab;-)

Any pointers to install guides, books or other suggestions woud be
greatly appreciated.

TIA
danno
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
A battery isolater can be used. This allows for both batteries to be
charged. They are available at many autoparts stores or your local RV
store. Here is a helpful site that has more information.

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm

Seconded. Your system can be connected to the secondary battery, and it then
won't drain the main battery at all. You can run it until it the secondary is
completely dead, and you main battery will still be fine.

This setup is widely used to power campers and camper-trailers in trucks, and to
run the "secondary" systems in an RV. Nothing stopping you from using an
identical setup to power your audio system instead of a fridge and reading lights.
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article tt7Mg.518163$iF6.508575@pd7tw2no, Matt Ion wrote:
wrote:
A battery isolater can be used. This allows for both batteries to be
charged. They are available at many autoparts stores or your local RV
store. Here is a helpful site that has more information.

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm

Seconded. Your system can be connected to the secondary battery, and it then
won't drain the main battery at all. You can run it until it the secondary is
completely dead, and you main battery will still be fine.

This setup is widely used to power campers and camper-trailers in trucks, and
run the "secondary" systems in an RV. Nothing stopping you from using an
identical setup to power your audio system instead of a fridge and reading
lights.

It nice to have a backup battery, but its best to run batteries in parallel.
It improves lifetime of service. It also improves the total time of discharge
since there is less draw from each battery. If a battery is discharged it life is
greatly diminished. Ideally, I would want a three battery system. The third being a very small
battery with enough current to start. If you run curves of battery discharge,
you will see the available power will be greater with lighter loads.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , (GregS) wrote:
[...]

I run two batteries on my boat. Trolling with about 35 amps, its last long enough
to work well. If I only used one battery, it would not work well. I also
look at the voltmeters while doing this. Never go below the 12 volts measured at the battery.
They also sell battery cutoff devices that remove the load if it gets too
low.

greg