Posted to rec.audio.car
puttster puttster is offline

Default looking for low end for my 3.5's

I have some 3.5's for my kickpanels and I'm wondering what I need to do to
round out the spectrum. I have a 50rms x 4 amp on order and my car is a
1960's full size ford, with several 6x9 (and some other) holes under the
rear shelf cover and one that looks to be 6x9 in the dash.

The trunk is huge as you might imagine though with the spare tire I only
have about a 11"h x 18"w space for a subwoofer right behind the back seat -
which by the way is pretty solidly backed, so I wonder if much woofer sound
would penetrate it.

Basically I think I am going to be okay with the mid and high end but I am
looking for something to round out the system. Hopefully I can get some
ideas here!

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I don't know the specific car you have (you didn't mention it) but if you
need exact specifications you can always go to Crutchfield's to find out
EXACTLY what will fit your car at:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-f0ixKFw...*ctzfubflFYgzy

In general, you want to have most of the sound coming from in front of you
(like at a concert). We get away with putting subwoofers in the rear
because bass is much more difficult for our brains to localize AND with the
help of a good time-alignment system, that MANY HU's (head units) today
have, you can delay the front speakers a tiny amount so that all speakers
(front and back) hit your ears at the same time.

So with that in mind, I would focus in building up your "front stage" by
adding midbass speakers and tweeters (if those 3.5" do not already have
tweeters) up front. Any speakers in the rear (besides the subwoofers)
should be for rear-fill only meaning that they should just barely be heard
and give the sound simply a fuller texture. My rear-fill does not have
tweeters (as higher frequencies are much easier to locate), I run them both
in mono (I sum both the left and right channels) and they help raise my
front soundstage. Yet you only notice them IF I TURN THEM OFF.

Again, remember that if you go to a concert, you don't turn your back to the
performers. A car audio system should be the same way: sound should seem to
come from the front.

There is TONS of helpful advice regarding building a system on our FAQ:
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

MOSFET

Hustle & FLow David Grant Pro Audio 25 August 13th 05 02:40 PM
Air flow over Amp [email protected] Car Audio 9 March 20th 05 03:17 AM
Signal flow question: stomp boxes on vocals Jacob Weber Pro Audio 8 September 9th 03 02:24 AM
Direct box "flow through" LeBaron & Alrich Pro Audio 23 September 5th 03 04:56 AM