Posted to rec.audio.car
roxbury roxbury is offline

Default iriver needs small volume adjustment.

My car stereo has an aux input on the front. Im trying to use my
iriver through but find that even with my iriver on full volume it
isn't quite enough to match the volume of the radio and cd when i
switch between them. Is there some kind of small inline amp that can
amplify my iriver just a tad more?

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

roxbury wrote:
My car stereo has an aux input on the front. Im trying to use my
iriver through but find that even with my iriver on full volume it
isn't quite enough to match the volume of the radio and cd when i
switch between them. Is there some kind of small inline amp that can
amplify my iriver just a tad more?

I'll say "probably not"... such a thing would be a real specialty item, and if
you did find one, it would likely be more expensive than it's really worth for
your application.

Maybe see if the software you use to load your iriver can easily boost or
'normalize' the MP3s to a higher volume?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Actually, despite what Matt says, it sounds to me like what you need is just
a headphone amplifier. I'm guessing that you are using your headphone
output as the source for your AUX inputs so a headphone amp would be
PERFECT. They come in all sizes and price ranges from $20 on up. You would
simply insert it between your iRiver and AUX input and adjust the gains to
match the other sources of your system. Here are a few to get you started
in your search:
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--2375

Good luck,

MOSFET

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
roxbury wrote:
My car stereo has an aux input on the front. Im trying to use my
iriver through but find that even with my iriver on full volume it
isn't quite enough to match the volume of the radio and cd when i
switch between them. Is there some kind of small inline amp that can
amplify my iriver just a tad more?

I'll say "probably not"... such a thing would be a real specialty item,

and if
you did find one, it would likely be more expensive than it's really worth

for
your application.

Maybe see if the software you use to load your iriver can easily boost or
'normalize' the MP3s to a higher volume?

Posted to rec.audio.car
eezip eezip is offline

I've seen many decks that have a volume adjustment based on the source.
Perhaps you can boost the AUX volume or, conversely, lower the radio or
CD volume to equalize them. Check your manual.

MOSFET's suggestion of a headphone amp would probably work fine, but
then you'd have a headphone amp hanging out of the miniplug input on
the front of your deck. However, since they all look to be for home
use, not car, it's not going to be all that easy to make it work. The
Behringer AMP 800, for instance, requires 9Vdc power.

A hardware mod could possibly be done to raise the AUX input's volume,
but that risky. I don't know of anything that sounds like exactly what
I'd want to recommend to you, but a quick Google search for "portable
headphone amplifiers" turn up 'this page' (http://www.boostaroo.com/)
which has some small headphone that are/can be battery powered. A small
homebrewed circuit could easily be made and run off the car's battery -
if you're interested I'll whip up a schematic. Of course you'll have to
actually build and enclose that solution - I wish I know of something
easier. Good luck man.

--
eezip
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

MOSFET wrote:
Actually, despite what Matt says, it sounds to me like what you need is just
a headphone amplifier. I'm guessing that you are using your headphone
output as the source for your AUX inputs so a headphone amp would be
PERFECT. They come in all sizes and price ranges from $20 on up. You would
simply insert it between your iRiver and AUX input and adjust the gains to
match the other sources of your system. Here are a few to get you started
in your search:
http://www.zzounds.com/cat--2375

Interesting. I've never seen a headphone amp for a "personal" audio system.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

MOSFET's suggestion of a headphone amp would probably work fine, but
then you'd have a headphone amp hanging out of the miniplug input on
the front of your deck. However, since they all look to be for home
use, not car, it's not going to be all that easy to make it work. The
Behringer AMP 800, for instance, requires 9Vdc power.

There are MANY that are battery operated or 12 volt operated. I just pasted
the first page that came up on Google. Headphone amps are incredibly
ubiquitous and as I said come in all shapes and colors. Simply do a Google
search for battery operated headphone amps and you will see.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Interesting. I've never seen a headphone amp for a "personal" audio
system.

You're kidding, right? With the popularity of the iPod they are EVERYWHERE.
Do you get Audio Advisor catalog? Here are some mo

http://www.jr.com/JRSectionView.proc....y=0&search=GO

MOSFET

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Automatic volume adjustment in cars Per Stromgren Tech 5 October 9th 04 06:17 AM
Doppler Distortion - Fact or Fiction Bob Cain Pro Audio 266 August 17th 04 06:50 AM
Passive Volume Control (Passive Preamp) Info james mitchell High End Audio 0 July 19th 03 06:04 AM