Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default noise over a comm system

I want to compute the amount of noise over a comm system by analyzing
an input WAV and output WAV. What is the best way to do this?

I tried subtracting one from the other, but it didn't go very well.
For instance, even if they're just 1 millisecond mis-aligned, you don't
get anything like noise when subtracting.

Is there a way to take the absolute value of a WAV in most audio
editors?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Richard Crowley

mike7411wrote ...
I want to compute the amount of noise over a comm system by analyzing
an input WAV and output WAV. What is the best way to do this?

I tried subtracting one from the other, but it didn't go very well.
For instance, even if they're just 1 millisecond mis-aligned, you
don't
get anything like noise when subtracting.

Appears you need to put more effort into calibrating your
system before you can depend on simple subtraction to
reveal the noise/distortion.

Is there a way to take the absolute value of a WAV in most audio
editors?

Maybe you need to define what you mean by "absolute value
of a WAV"?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Phil Allison

wrote in message
oups.com...

I want to compute the amount of noise over a comm system by analyzing
an input WAV and output WAV.

** Does your "comm system" send the WAV as data or an analogue signal ?

BTW

Please click on "Options" before replying and then include some context and
the other poster's names.

........ Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com...

I want to compute the amount of noise over a comm system by analyzing
an input WAV and output WAV. What is the best way to do this?

Generate a test file and analyze it with this softwa

RMA 5.5

http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa55.exe

I tried subtracting one from the other, but it didn't go very well.

I think you were told the reasons why in another thread.

For instance, even if they're just 1 millisecond mis-aligned, you don't
get anything like noise when subtracting.

Actually you get some noise, but you get a lot of other irrelevant stuff as
well.

Is there a way to take the absolute value of a WAV in most audio
editors?

If they have a statistics function, yes. You can also usually estimate it
from the screen.