Nousaine

Default Delco/Bose HU replacement

"Robert E. Watts" wrote:

"The Lizard" wrote in message
For an 86 Toronado, I believe the amplifier is on the back of each

speaker.

Yes, that's true.

Some, or most, of the older Delco/Bose units use "powered speakers", which
frequently fail.

Other cars, like the Lumina for example, use a trunk mounted amp, on the
bottom of the package shelf. Good for a ridiculous amount of wiring also,
running front to back. ( Later amplified Delco systems, like the Monsoon
for example, have an amp in the trunk. With an insane amount of wiring. :-)

In any event, like other posters have already stated, you really can't use
the Bose speakers for anything other than the Bose system.

bobwatts

This is not true at all. All Bose systems have amplifiers external to the head
unit (Bose doesn't make heads so all their systems use powered speakers.) which
are often included with the speaker/enclosure assembly and include all the EQ
for the speaker.

So any line level input from any head will work fine; but you're going to have
to make sure that you access the service manual to decide which pins are
audio-in at the speaker or amp assembly.

Interestingly you can also use the speaker level output from some heads but
often the useful range of the volume control may be limited (the head will be
putting out too much voltage at the top of the control rotation.)

I wasn't aware that Tornados were still available in the late 80s but you may
want to ensure that the speaker drivers haven't suffered from foam surround rot
; a common condition on 15-year old cars.

Good luck. Let us know how this works out.
Jeff

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Robert E. Watts" wrote:

"The Lizard" wrote in message
For an 86 Toronado, I believe the amplifier is on the back of each

speaker.

Yes, that's true.

Some, or most, of the older Delco/Bose units use "powered speakers",

which
frequently fail.

Other cars, like the Lumina for example, use a trunk mounted amp, on the
bottom of the package shelf. Good for a ridiculous amount of wiring also,
running front to back. ( Later amplified Delco systems, like the Monsoon
for example, have an amp in the trunk. With an insane amount of wiring.

:-)

In any event, like other posters have already stated, you really can't

use
the Bose speakers for anything other than the Bose system.

bobwatts

This is not true at all. All Bose systems have amplifiers

external to the head unit

No, not all are done this way. Look at a 93 Acura and
others, the Bose system is low level/EQ done at the head
unit. (it mounts to the bottom) No Bose amp at all.

(Bose doesn't make heads so all their systems use powered speakers.) which
are often included with the speaker/enclosure assembly and include all the

EQ
for the speaker.

So any line level input from any head will work fine; but you're going to

have
to make sure that you access the service manual to decide which pins are
audio-in at the speaker or amp assembly.

Except some Bose amps use floating ground audio input
and others do not.
Many factory manuals have at least one thing wrong in the schematic of "Bose
systems".

Interestingly you can also use the speaker level output from some heads

but
often the useful range of the volume control may be limited (the head will

be
putting out too much voltage at the top of the control rotation.)

Sort of, it may work, BUT a high to low level adaptor
should be used. (Isolated maybe) (adjustable yes)

I wasn't aware that Tornados were still available in the late 80s but you

may
want to ensure that the speaker drivers haven't suffered from foam

surround rot
; a common condition on 15-year old cars.

Not with Bose speakers that had a CLOTH surround
and I should add its pretty common on some newer
cars that have a foam surround, Bose and non-bose.

Good luck. Let us know how this works out.

Same
Jeff

Jeff

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Jeff" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Robert E. Watts"
wrote:

"The Lizard" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not familair with the '93 Acura but the '93 Camaro Z28 had a plug-in

unit
to the head that contained the EQ and the Power amplifier. It's still an
external power amplifier but thank you for the ijnput.

My comments were derived from speaking with the engineers at Delphi and

Bose
and personal examination of the Camaro and Corvettes. It's possible that

some
Bose systems may be different but outboard amplification and individual

speaker
EQ is the preferred topology.

(Bose doesn't make heads so all their systems use powered speakers.)

which
are often included with the speaker/enclosure assembly and include all

the
EQ
for the speaker.

So any line level input from any head will work fine; but you're going

have
to make sure that you access the service manual to decide which pins

are
audio-in at the speaker or amp assembly.

Except some Bose amps use floating ground audio input
and others do not.
Many factory manuals have at least one thing wrong in the schematic of

"Bose
systems".

Which is? I've use the factory manuals for a pair of Camaro's (93, 94 and

01)
3 Corvettes (94,95 and 01) and have yet to find an error.

Positive and negative of speaker will be reversed is the
most used "mistake".
I rarely need to get a GM car manual, we use the radio
S/Ms, but Bose is in many different vehicles and I see
the others too.

Interestingly you can also use the speaker level output from some heads

but
often the useful range of the volume control may be limited (the head

will
be
putting out too much voltage at the top of the control rotation.)

Sort of, it may work, BUT a high to low level adaptor
should be used. (Isolated maybe) (adjustable yes)

I wasn't aware that Tornados were still available in the late 80s but

you
may
want to ensure that the speaker drivers haven't suffered from foam

surround rot
; a common condition on 15-year old cars.

Not with Bose speakers that had a CLOTH surround
and I should add its pretty common on some newer
cars that have a foam surround, Bose and non-bose.

I've never seen a car Bose speaker with a cloth surround. Not that there
weren't some. Do you have a memory of one?

All were, before? some still are, I think, newer than
94 cant say for some as we usually are sent amp only
but then I go back to the early days when they started
doing OEM and only had the 41/2" triangular speaker.
So far most I have seen have a cloth surround pre-94.
The 61/2" set I have from a 94 camaro is foam and I
proably have some others from varrious cars that are
also foam and newer than 94. So I guess they changed
some around that time 93-94.
I saw one GM 61/2" Bose that was 4 ohm but the
guy that brought it in did not know what it came from, it was foam surround
also.

Good luck. Let us know how this works out.

Same
Jeff

Yes, please.

Jeff