Raf

Default Converting Car subs to Home speakers

If anyone can help me out it would be great.
I have no techinical know how of speakers but I want to use a box
containing two 13 inch 300 watt kenwood car subs in my home.

Can i just attach them to my shelf system? They seem to have the same
red and black wiring.
If anyone knows of any site that can give me step by step instructions
in plain english or can help me out it would be great

thanks

raf
Engineer

Raf wrote:

If anyone can help me out it would be great.
I have no techinical know how of speakers but I want to use a box
containing two 13 inch 300 watt kenwood car subs in my home.

Can i just attach them to my shelf system? They seem to have the same
red and black wiring.

No, see below.

If anyone knows of any site that can give me step by step instructions
in plain english or can help me out it would be great

thanks

raf

Leaving aside how good they are, you'll need a power
amplifier (I presume they are not powered subs.) The easiest
way might be to use a surplus a stereo receiver (minimum 20
+ 20 watts), one channel to each speaker, and drive it mono
by means of a Y splitter from the main amp analog sub
output.

If you don't have a sub output then you're going to have to
derive a mono, below 100 Hz (or so) sub signal from the main
amp's L + R outputs (REC output should do it.) This is a
bit more complicated but you can do it with auto sound line
level subwoofer filters - not too expensive. Actually, this
is similar to how I drive my pair of passive subs but I
start with a proper sub output (not L + R).

You'll also have to play with speaker location, phasing and
levels.

There are more details but I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Roger
--
Roger Jones, P.Eng.
Thornhill, Ontario,

"Friends don't let friends vote Liberal"
PAGreenP

The real issue is that the speakers are the wrong impedance. They are 4 Ohm
and your home audio setup is always 8 Ohm. If you take those speakers up to
8 Ohm's they dont sound very good at all.

"Engineer" wrote in message
Raf wrote:

[...]

GregS

In article , "PAGreenP" wrote:
The real issue is that the speakers are the wrong impedance. They are 4 Ohm
and your home audio setup is always 8 Ohm. If you take those speakers up to
8 Ohm's they dont sound very good at all.

A home system can be any impedance. There are tons of 4 ohm speakers.

greg