troll5501 troll5501 is offline
Junior Member

Default Best Impedance for Dual Voice Coil Subs using PPI 2150AM

My current project is to replace my existing old subs, because the foam surrounds are deteriorating (yes, my system dates back to the early 90s). I'm currently using two 4-ohm subs with a PPI 2150AM amp rated at 150W x 2 @ 4-ohm load or 300W x 2 @ 2-ohm load.

I ordered a new pair of subs that are dual voice-coil (4-ohm per coil), so I can either wire each woofer as a 2-ohm load to the amp using 2-channel mode, or wire both woofers as a single 4-ohm load to the amp in bridged mode.

My concern is overheating of the amp. I don't want to stress the amp too much. Currently I have plenty of power for my listening needs and I'm not planning on entering any SPL contests.

So I'm wondering if I should have ordered the dual voice-coil 2-ohm woofers so I can wire each woofer as a 4-ohm load to the amp using 2-channel mode, and therefore allowing the amp to run cooler. On the other hand, the 2150AM is rated for a 2-ohm load (4-ohm bridged) so maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bryan
MZ

[...]

No, you're fine as it stands now. If you want the amp to run cooler, just
don't turn up the volume so much. In that case, you get the best of both
worlds - the amp will drive the subs with less power as if you had ordered
dual-2's, but you'll also get the increased headroom because the amp will
have the capability of delivering more power than that.

In other words, you made the right choice.