Sub_Lover

Default Subwoofer for a Small Enclosure

Now my wife wants a new system and we have limited trunk space. I'm
looking for a great sounding sub for a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

NO way. YOu gotta have 6x9" speaker box

Kevin McMurtrie

In article .com,
"Sub_Lover" wrote:

Now my wife wants a new system and we have limited trunk space. I'm
looking for a great sounding sub for a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Forget it. A good pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck will pump out a
lot more bass and sound much better doing it.

I have 2 Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ subs each with .6 cubic ft behind
them, and they sound beautiful. (In a civic, and I still have pleny of
trunk space.) Just make sure you put enough power to it. For a small
system one would be fine, honestly, for my needs 2 was overkill. The
acoustic accuracy of these subs is truly inredible, and they are
EXTREMELY versitle (genius pole peice inserts). They are a bit pricey,
but you can price match @ www.sounddomain.com thats where I got mine.
You can probably get one for about $250. They can be put in sealed
enclusures as small as .4 cubic ft.

Sean Scott

"Sub_Lover" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now my wife wants a new system and we have limited trunk space. I'm
looking for a great sounding sub for a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

This is the only thing I can think of that sounds perfect for you.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lnIzNr7...earch=basslink

That is actually a great suggestion. That way you won't have to worray
about a complex installation. Crutchfield is another great place to buy
electronics, although they can be more pricey than others, they have
the best customer service ever.

George

IDQ12V.2s sound great and don't need much space at all. I think 1 cubic
foot is the maximum recommended sealed volume.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:45:21 -0800, Sub_Lover wrote:

Now my wife wants a new system and we have limited trunk space. I'm
looking for a great sounding sub for a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

MZ

Now my wife wants a new system and we have limited trunk space. I'm
looking for a great sounding sub for a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Forget it. A good pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck will pump out a
lot more bass and sound much better doing it.

What are you talking about??

MZ

My JL 12w3 is in a 1cuft sealed box and sounds great.

"Sub_Lover" wrote in message
oups.com...
Now my wife wants a new system and we have limited trunk space. I'm
looking for a great sounding sub for a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Kevin McMurtrie

"MZ" wrote:

Now my wife wants a new system and we have limited trunk space. I'm
looking for a great sounding sub for a 1 cu. ft. sealed box. Any
suggestions are appreciated.

Forget it. A good pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck will pump out a
lot more bass and sound much better doing it.

What are you talking about??

Good 6x9 speakers can handle bass down to 30 Hz at decent power levels.
Why bother with a buzzy little sub box?

MZ

What are you talking about??

Good 6x9 speakers can handle bass down to 30 Hz at decent power levels.
Why bother with a buzzy little sub box?

1 cu ft is "buzzy" and "little"?

Kevin McMurtrie

"MZ" wrote:

What are you talking about??

Good 6x9 speakers can handle bass down to 30 Hz at decent power levels.
Why bother with a buzzy little sub box?

1 cu ft is "buzzy" and "little"?

Well, my home sub has a 12 cubic foot enclosure and is efficient down to
10Hz. I don't like little subs that resonate at 50 to 80 Hz. I'd
rather have a good pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck that can go
down to 30Hz smoothly. (Of course a sub sealed over a 4 cubic foot
spare tire well would be sweet.)
Cyrus

Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
"MZ" wrote:

What are you talking about??

Good 6x9 speakers can handle bass down to 30 Hz at decent power levels.
Why bother with a buzzy little sub box?

1 cu ft is "buzzy" and "little"?

Well, my home sub has a 12 cubic foot enclosure and is efficient down to
10Hz. I don't like little subs that resonate at 50 to 80 Hz. I'd
rather have a good pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck that can go
down to 30Hz smoothly. (Of course a sub sealed over a 4 cubic foot
spare tire well would be sweet.)

There is a thing called 'cabin gain' which plagues all car audio
installations. One is basically putting a small box into a larger box,
things will happen.

6x9's are hardly useful to me, being that I'd like considerably more
cone area. Along with more xmax, a lower fs and more power handling.. oh
and the lack of a 'tweeter' stuffed into it for 'value'. Yes there are
6x9's out there without tweeters, but at or near the price of a very
decent budget minded sub. As with anything, to each his own and YMMV
blahblah.

btw- a 12 ft3 enclosure in a home is hardly a method of efficiency.

hth,

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

MZ

Well, my home sub has a 12 cubic foot enclosure and is efficient down to
10Hz. I don't like little subs that resonate at 50 to 80 Hz. I'd
rather have a good pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck that can go
down to 30Hz smoothly. (Of course a sub sealed over a 4 cubic foot
spare tire well would be sweet.)

I think you need to give 1 footers another chance. I've used nothing but a
single 12" sub (different brands) in a 1cu ft box for the past 7 or 8 years,
and they provide more bass than I even want.

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 13:58:45 -0500, "MZ"
wrote:

Well, my home sub has a 12 cubic foot enclosure and is efficient down to
10Hz. I don't like little subs that resonate at 50 to 80 Hz. I'd
rather have a good pair of 6x9 speakers in the rear deck that can go
down to 30Hz smoothly. (Of course a sub sealed over a 4 cubic foot
spare tire well would be sweet.)

I think you need to give 1 footers another chance. I've used nothing but a
single 12" sub (different brands) in a 1cu ft box for the past 7 or 8 years,
and they provide more bass than I even want.

To me, it sounds like he's describing an undersized vented box (poor
low-frequency extension, resonance at 50-80 Hz, etcetera). And, one
cubic foot is smaller than than the ported-box recommendations for
most subwoofers.

I agree with you - I've had a variety of 12" subs in sealed enclosures
around 1-2 cubic feet, and I've never had any lack of bass or
resonance issues.

--
Scott Gardner

"Some people have one of those days. I have one of those lives."

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:17:30 -0500, "MZ"
wrote:

To me, it sounds like he's describing an undersized vented box (poor
low-frequency extension, resonance at 50-80 Hz, etcetera). And, one
cubic foot is smaller than than the ported-box recommendations for
most subwoofers.

He said sealed.

Yes, the original poster said that he wanted a sealed box. I was just
commenting that the faults that Kevin seems to find with sub boxes
(buzziness, poor low-frequency extension, and resonance at 50-80 Hz)
are all indicative of an undersized ported box, not a sealed box.
Perhaps if he heard an adequately-sized sealed box, he might change
his opinion.

--
Scott Gardner

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." (Pablo Picasso)