Sal

Default Which amp to buy.

Hi I a looking for a subwoofer amp to power my 2 10" pioneer subs
TS-W255C, which can handle 350w RMS 700W peak.
Here are the amplifiers I am looking for in the same price range from
ebay.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

ALPINE MRP-M350 MONO CHANNEL CAR AUDIO AMPLIFIER
RMS Power at 2 Ohms 350 W x 1
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 200 W x 1

Tsunami GXA1000D Mono Class D Digital Power Amplifier
1000 Watts RMS (.1 % THD @ 1 Ohms/CH)

Kenwood KAC-8151D
RMS Power Output at 1 Ohm, at 14.4V (100Hz, 0.5% THD): 500 Watts x 1
RMS Power Output at 2 Ohms, at 14.4V (100Hz, 0.5% THD): 400 Watts x 1
RMS Power Output at 4 Ohms, at 14.4V (20Hz - 200Hz, 0.5% THD): 200
Watts x 1
Class D Operation

Audiobahn A8000T Mono Amp
Class A/B MOSFET Power Supply
1x400 Watts RMS
1x1600 Watts Max Power
2Ω Stable Mono
1-Ohm Stable

Kenwood KAC8101D Class D Mono Car Power Amplifier
Power Output (at 2 Ohms, 14.4V with 100Hz, 0.5% THD) is 400 Watts x 1
Channel (Mono)
Power Output (at 4 Ohms, 14.4V, 20Hz - 200Hz, 0.5% THD) is 200 Watts x
1 Channel (Mono

Kicker KX400.1
400w x 1 @ 2ohms
200w x 1 @ 4ohms

MA Audio M1889I
RMS Power (4 ohms): 400 x 1 chan.
RMS Power (2 ohms): 800 x 1 chan.

MTX THUNDER 311D
155 watts x 1 at 4 ohms
310 watts x 1 at 2 ohms
Adaptive Class D Technology

THUNDER 3401 MONO BLOCK D-CLASS POWER AMPLIFIER
200W RMS x 1 INTO @ 4 OHM
400W x 1 INTO @ 2 OHM

Phoenix Gold R5.0:1 MonoBlock Amp
- 500w x 1 @ 2ohms
- 250w x 1 @ 4ohms

PIONEER GM-7100M 800 Watts Mono Amplifier
# 250 Watts x 1, at 4 ohms
# 360 Watts x 1, at 2 ohms

Id get the highest powered Kicker Phoenix Gold you can afford.

I had the Alpine M-350, Nice amp. Can't say anything bad about it.
Small size, great performance, reasonable price, and good sound
quality. Phoenix gold is always good, but you may want to take a look
at the JBL BP600.1. They have been discontinued, so finding a great
price is easy. They run 300RMS@4ohms and 600RMS@2ohms, and it sounds
great. It may be a little tough to find, but it will be at a blowout
price, and I perfer it over the alpine. And as for Kicker amps, they
kinda suck. The power ratings they publish are mostly peak, and the RMS
ratings blow, and as for quality ... well, I wouldn't suggest it.

I think he meant to say "Id get the highest powered Phoenix Gold you
can afford.". Which isn't a bad suggestion either.

Steve

I think the specs on some of the brands you are considering are overstated.
For example, I have seen a JL Audio 250/1 kick the pants off of a Kenwood
mono block rated at 800 watts into 4 ohms.

You cannot rely solely on specs. A reputable dealer should be able to help
you. There are several decent brands available (not just JL Audio) and I am
sure you can find one that will work for you. You need to consider the way
you will have your subs installed (series vs parallel) and also the type &
size of enclosure you will be using. These will also have an impact on the
amp you may want to choose.

Regards,
Steve

Thanks for your replies I finally went with the Sony XM-D500X. They
were liquidating the old models at a nearby store to make room for the
new models. Therefore that's why I picked the Sony. So far I can say I
am really happy with the results. At first I was worried about the Sony
reputation of blowing outputs but apperently since 2004 these problems
are gone.
Once again thanks for your help in making my decision.