Ray

Default Help: Yamaha EMX Powered Mixers - can you run with no speaker load on the MONO buss?

Hey all.

If you are familiar with the Yamaha EMX series powered mixers, maybe you can
help me out with the following question:

I own a Yamaha EMX-2000. I'm wondering if I can set the "power mode" on this
mixer to "MONI 1 (monitors) + MONO (mains) " (200 watts + 200 watts) BUT
only have a speaker load for the monitor (MONI 1) output. Would I potentialy
damage the amp(s) if the 200 watts being sent to the mains (MONO) output has
no speakers connected?

I ask this because I'd like to use the faders on this mixer to send a line
level signal from the mains stereo bus (ST1) to a hard-disk recorder, while
at the same time sending a diferent signal from the MONI 1 buss to the
monitors.

TIA,

ray

Pooh Bear

Ray wrote:

Hey all.

If you are familiar with the Yamaha EMX series powered mixers, maybe you can
help me out with the following question:

I own a Yamaha EMX-2000. I'm wondering if I can set the "power mode" on this
mixer to "MONI 1 (monitors) + MONO (mains) " (200 watts + 200 watts) BUT
only have a speaker load for the monitor (MONI 1) output. Would I potentialy
damage the amp(s) if the 200 watts being sent to the mains (MONO) output has
no speakers connected?

I ask this because I'd like to use the faders on this mixer to send a line
level signal from the mains stereo bus (ST1) to a hard-disk recorder, while
at the same time sending a diferent signal from the MONI 1 buss to the
monitors.

All modern ( transformerless output stage ) semiconductor based amplifiers have
had no trouble driving no load since their invention.

So you'll be fine.

Graham

Richard Freeman

"Ray" wrote in message
Hey all.

If you are familiar with the Yamaha EMX series powered mixers, maybe you

can
help me out with the following question:

I own a Yamaha EMX-2000. I'm wondering if I can set the "power mode" on

this
mixer to "MONI 1 (monitors) + MONO (mains) " (200 watts + 200 watts) BUT
only have a speaker load for the monitor (MONI 1) output.

Yes

Would I potentialy
damage the amp(s) if the 200 watts being sent to the mains (MONO) output

has
no speakers connected?

No

I ask this because I'd like to use the faders on this mixer to send a line
level signal from the mains stereo bus (ST1) to a hard-disk recorder,

while
at the same time sending a diferent signal from the MONI 1 buss to the
monitors.

I am sure there are many better Desks out there for recording from however I
guess if you already have the desk .......

Regards
Richard Freeman

Ray

Thanks for the replies, everybody.

yes, (obviously) there are better mixing desks out there for recording. But
I since I already own the Yamaha powered mixer, and since I'm only recording
live demos of my band, this setup should work pretty well for me for the
short term.

Thanks again,

ray