Boris Mohar

Default Guitar amp recommendation

I would like your expert recommendation for a tube type guitar amplifier
that I could build myself. I have built a number of HI-FI tube and solid
state amplifiers long time ago. I have also collected a number of circuits
for guitar amplifiers but not being able to play a guitar and also being
somewhat stunned when it comes to music does not help in decision process.
Requirements - 25 W, volume, tone, tremolo, fuzz, reverb. I do not need any
hand holing in how to build it so rest assured that I will not come back and
haunt you with inane questions. I am just looking for a recommendation from
a trusted source. This is a present for my daughter who has picked up a
guitar about two years ago and has not put it down since. She is very
determined to makes something of herself and I would like to reward that.
Thank you for any pointers.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Phil Allison

"Boris Mohar"

[...]

** Build one of these - delicious sound .

https://schematicheavencom.secure.po...b763_schem.pdf

The only problem is that a real one will likely cost you less - even
after a full overhaul.

.............. Phil

Boris Mohar

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:20:01 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

** Build one of these - delicious sound .

https://schematicheavencom.secure.po...b763_schem.pdf

The only problem is that a real one will likely cost you less - even
after a full overhaul.

True. What really burns my but is that number of yeas ago I bought a
Fender twin reverb on a garage sale for 25 bucks. It sat in my basement for
7 years. Year after I sold it she get passionate about guitar.

The schematic that you supplied will be on my short list. I am considering a
PCB layout. Where can I get the transformers, reverb coils and the LDR
modulator? Does anybody make octal PCB sockets?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Gregg

http://www.ax84.com/home.html

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
Ruud Broens

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message
:
[...]

you state: "Requirements - 25 W, volume, tone, tremolo, fuzz, reverb"

actually, you should, when specifying the needs, use term like

maximum SPL you 'need' , frequency range (is it an acoustic guitar w.
pickup?),
maximum size & weight, price range, construction considerations(easy or
complicated),
etc., etc. *Then* it is easier to 'get the picture' :-), to get ya
'tailor made solutions'.

Rudy

Boris Mohar

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 19:16:54 +0100, "Ruud Broens" wrote:

you state: "Requirements - 25 W, volume, tone, tremolo, fuzz, reverb"

actually, you should, when specifying the needs, use term like

maximum SPL you 'need' , frequency range (is it an acoustic guitar w.
pickup?),
maximum size & weight, price range, construction considerations(easy or
complicated),
etc., etc. *Then* it is easier to 'get the picture' :-), to get ya
'tailor made solutions'.

Rudy

The SPL is a function of the speaker and enclosure efficiency. All I want
is a schematic and BOM. This is for electric lead guitar. I should have
specified that. The gray area is in the performance aspects of the potential
beast. Since I could not play a note to save my life I have no idea how to
specify certain attributes such as "Breaks up really nicely" or a "terrific
sustain" I assume that the break up is desirable distortion and sustain is
some kind of interactive positive feedback loop between the player, guitar,
amplifier and speaker. I guess the SPL play the role here as well.
I am not really asking for a tailor made solution because the kid is growing
fast.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Ruud Broens

wrote:

[...]

*hehe, you're right :-). but weight, size considerations ? and if only
for practice,
25W into a typical guitar cabinet is wayyy to loud !!
Rudy

Bob

wrote:

** Build one of these - delicious sound .

https://schematicheavencom.secure.po...b763_schem.pdf

The only problem is that a real one will likely cost you less - even
after a full overhaul.

True. What really burns my but is that number of yeas ago I bought a
Fender twin reverb on a garage sale for 25 bucks. It sat in my basement for
7 years. Year after I sold it she get passionate about guitar.

The schematic that you supplied will be on my short list. I am considering a
PCB layout. Where can I get the transformers, reverb coils and the LDR
modulator? Does anybody make octal PCB sockets?

If you are in Montreal I can supply you with some parts... I have trannies and
tubes and reverb springs and all the parts for an amp of that type... if your
Email addy is correct I'll Email you... I collected a lot of parts to build a
few amps of that type (50 watt guitar) but only built one so far... I'm
specializing in 3 watt EL84 designs...

Ruud Broens

"Bob" wrote in message
:
: If you are in Montreal I can supply you with some parts... I have
: trannies and tubes and reverb springs and all the parts for an amp
: of that type... if your: Email addy is correct I'll Email you...
: I collected a lot of parts to build a few amps of that type
: (50 watt guitar) but only built one so far... I'm
: specializing in 3 watt EL84 designs...
:
....and a 3 watt overdriven sustained note or chord on an 98 dB/W/m
speaker *is* really loud :-)
Rudy

Phil Allison

"Ruud Broens"
:
...and a 3 watt overdriven sustained note or chord on an 98 dB/W/m
speaker *is* really loud :-)

** Relative to what ??

Any rock drummer would render the sound inaudible.

............. Phil

Bob

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 12:54:56 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Ruud Broens"
..
:
...and a 3 watt overdriven sustained note or chord on an 98 dB/W/m
speaker *is* really loud :-)

** Relative to what ??

Any rock drummer would render the sound inaudible.

............ Phil

Depends... on the drummer....

One of my amps was used a few weeks ago in a club north of here, as is, not
miked, driving a 12" Celestion in a Marshall cab. It was a 3 piece band, the
bass was through a 400 watt Traynor, and the drums were actually miked! The club
was real small, just a bar for maybe 100 people at most.

The sound was quite well balanced after I told them to turn the drums down a
bit... but the guitar was never inaudible.

Going by experience, I'd guess the band was developing around 100 to 110db. I'm
not sure of my amps power, but the EL84 is at 330v, and I suspect the speaker
has a sens of maybe 103db/watt/meter.

I had a video of the gig up on my site but took it down due to space
requirements, but I may put it up elsewhere...

Phil Allison

"Bob"
"Phil Allison
...and a 3 watt overdriven sustained note or chord on an 98 dB/W/m
speaker *is* really loud :-)

** Relative to what ??

Any rock drummer would render the sound inaudible.

Depends... on the drummer....

** That is why a said "rock drummer" !!

Not Jazz, Blues, Country etc .....

............. Phil

Fabio Berutti

I'd say that for home practicing and/or small gigs a good, old, trusty 5W
Fender Champ 5E1 is the best. It is as simple as it can be, therefore the
player concentrates on his playing skills instead of fiddling with knobs and
switches, and You can make it in a couple of days. Just put a good Alnico
cone in it.

See http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/schem/champ_5e1_schem.gif

Ciao

Fabio

"Boris Mohar" ha scritto nel messaggio

[...]

Bob

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:19:07 +1100, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Bob"
"Phil Allison
...and a 3 watt overdriven sustained note or chord on an 98 dB/W/m
speaker *is* really loud :-)

** Relative to what ??

Any rock drummer would render the sound inaudible.

Depends... on the drummer....

** That is why a said "rock drummer" !!

Not Jazz, Blues, Country etc .....

Ya I suppose!

Happy new year Phil!

Ruud Broens

"Bob" wrote in message
: On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:19:07 +1100, "Phil Allison"

: wrote:
:
:
: "Bob"
: "Phil Allison
: Any rock drummer would render the sound inaudible.
:
:
: Depends... on the drummer....
:
:
: ** That is why a said "rock drummer" !!
:
: Not Jazz, Blues, Country etc .....
:
:
:
: Ya I suppose!
:
: Happy new year Phil!
:
I suppose Phil has this takes one to know all condition.
he once knew a girl
Rudy

Boris Mohar

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 02:49:36 +0100, "Ruud Broens" wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
.. .
:
: If you are in Montreal I can supply you with some parts... I have
: trannies and tubes and reverb springs and all the parts for an amp
: of that type... if your: Email addy is correct I'll Email you...
: I collected a lot of parts to build a few amps of that type
: (50 watt guitar) but only built one so far... I'm
: specializing in 3 watt EL84 designs...
:
...and a 3 watt overdriven sustained note or chord on an 98 dB/W/m
speaker *is* really loud :-)
Rudy

Klipschorn becomes a weapon with 104dB/w/m

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
Bob

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 21:46:14 -0500, Boris Mohar wrote:

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 02:49:36 +0100, "Ruud Broens" wrote:

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..
:
: If you are in Montreal I can supply you with some parts... I have
: trannies and tubes and reverb springs and all the parts for an amp
: of that type... if your: Email addy is correct I'll Email you...
: I collected a lot of parts to build a few amps of that type
: (50 watt guitar) but only built one so far... I'm
: specializing in 3 watt EL84 designs...
:
...and a 3 watt overdriven sustained note or chord on an 98 dB/W/m
speaker *is* really loud :-)
Rudy

Klipschorn becomes a weapon with 104dB/w/m

I'm using a custom made system for my stereo at home, it's quite old, having
built it and re-built it since the 70s! It was based loosely on various Altek
designs, and each box is 10 cubic feet, a tuned reflex at 40hz. I still have
the original 'Tangerine' driver horns, but I've changed out the 15" woofers, and
added a tweeter crossed over at 10khz. These puppies are 103db/1w/1m.

I used to use a 40 watt stereo amp that I built in the 70s, based on a Tiger
design from SWTPC, and I almost never played it loud enough to register on a
level meter... I had to build a custom LED meter to read levels below 1 watt.

Now I power it with a 200 watt amp, and when people brag to me about their Bose
systems, I treat them to some 'concert' level sound..... Led Zeppelin concert,
that is!!

Ruud Broens

wrote:
:
: On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 02:49:36 +0100, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:
:
:
: "Bob" wrote in message
: . ..
: :
[...]

you guys like it loud, eh :-)
have a look at RAO for a real monster in the
"Woofers: Does size matter ?" thread
Rudy

Boris Mohar

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 05:11:36 +0100, "Ruud Broens" wrote:

.. .
wrote:
:
: On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 02:49:36 +0100, "Ruud Broens"
wrote:
:
:
: "Bob" wrote in message
: . ..
: :
[...]

There is a website out there that describes a construction of two full
bandwidth I think it had only one fold. Not very portable because they were
part of the basement. Does anybody have a link?

Regards,

Boris Mohar

Got Knock? - see:
Viatrack Printed Circuit Designs (among other things) http://www.viatrack.ca
RdM

Boris Mohar in
rec.audio.tubesbo2lt0l440lur5qd8t4uvnl1blqgs9midg @4ax.com:

: There is a website out there that describes a construction of two full
: bandwidth I think it had only one fold. Not very portable because they were
: part of the basement. Does anybody have a link?

http://www.royaldevice.com
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

Ruud Broens

"RdM" wrote in message
: Boris Mohar in
: rec.audio.tubesbo2lt0l440lur5qd8t4uvnl1blqgs9midg @4ax.com:
:
: : There is a website out there that describes a construction of two
full
: : bandwidth I think it had only one fold. Not very portable because
they were
: : part of the basement. Does anybody have a link?
:
: http://www.royaldevice.com
: http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
: http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

eehhrrrwooww, quite , i'd settle for that :-) 'mazin'
Rudy

Boris Mohar

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:17:28 +1300, RdM wrote:

Boris Mohar in
rec.audio.tubesbo2lt0l440lur5qd8t4uvnl1blqgs9mid :

: There is a website out there that describes a construction of two full
: bandwidth I think it had only one fold. Not very portable because they were
: part of the basement. Does anybody have a link?

http://www.royaldevice.com
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

That is the one. Thank you.
--

Boris Mohar

ptaylor

Boris Mohar wrote:
On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:17:28 +1300, RdM wrote:

Boris Mohar in
rec.audio.tubesbo2lt0l440lur5qd8t4uvnl1blqgs9mi :

: There is a website out there that describes a construction of two full
: bandwidth I think it had only one fold. Not very portable because they were
: part of the basement. Does anybody have a link?

http://www.royaldevice.com
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm

That is the one. Thank you.

Decware Has (had? can't seem to find it..) a Virtual Tour of thier
place..About page 24-25 it gets interesting,with a giant concrete horn
in the basement.
RdM

ptaylor still appears puzzled in
:

: Boris Mohar wrote:
: On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:17:28 +1300, RdM wrote:
:
:
: Boris Mohar in
: rec.audio.tubesbo2lt0l440lur5qd8t4uvnl1blqgs9mi :
:
: : There is a website out there that describes a construction of two full
: : bandwidth I think it had only one fold. Not very portable because they were
: : part of the basement. Does anybody have a link?
:
: http://www.royaldevice.com
: http://www.royaldevice.com/custom3.htm
: http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm
:
:
:
: That is the one. Thank you.

You're welcome:-)

It gets mentioned every so often - the name popped up from memory.
http://tinyurl.com/7xmg4 on a whim ... interesting to read old comments.

It automagically popped into the new beta format when I changed my first
search results location bar from google.co.nz to google.com, out of
consideration for majority US users, though ... they must be promoting it.
I'm not sure I like the extensive personalisation of it once one signs up.

: Decware Has (had? can't seem to find it..) a Virtual Tour of thier
: place..About page 24-25 it gets interesting,with a giant concrete horn
: in the basement.

The last link of the three I gave seems to fit that description ...
Takes a while to load on a slow connection. Worth the wait.
--
Regards,
RdM