AJ

Default PPI Amp & Kicker CompVR10 Impedance Question:

Hello,

I have a PPI PC650 6-channel amp which includes sub outs: Left +,- and
Right +,-. Specs list these outputs "Load Impedance (bridged) 4-8
Ohms" with Continuous Output Power "200 WRMS x 3 @ 4-Ohm bridged".

I just purchased 2 Kicker CompVR10's with dual 4-Ohm voice coils.

I see there are two ways to wire each of the dual voice coil 4-Ohm
subs that would be 1 Ohm (if wired in parallel) and 4 Ohm (if wired in
series).

Does anyone know if this PPI amp is 1 Ohm stable? It would appear not
by the specs above but the stereo salesman told me to wire the sub
dual voice coils in parallel.

Thank you
cujo613

I think the sub is only 2 ohms mono stable

--
cujo613

Paul Vina

First, you sub can only be wired at 1 or 8 ohms. Second, no, your amp will
not do 1 ohm bridged. You can either run your sub in stereo (1 coil to each
sub channel) or at 8 ohms mono, neither of which is ideal. I would add a
second dual 4 ohm sub or exchange it for a dual 2 ohm sub.

Paul Vina

"AJ" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I have a PPI PC650 6-channel amp which includes sub outs: Left +,- and
Right +,-. Specs list these outputs "Load Impedance (bridged) 4-8
Ohms" with Continuous Output Power "200 WRMS x 3 @ 4-Ohm bridged".

I just purchased 2 Kicker CompVR10's with dual 4-Ohm voice coils.

I see there are two ways to wire each of the dual voice coil 4-Ohm
subs that would be 1 Ohm (if wired in parallel) and 4 Ohm (if wired in
series).

Does anyone know if this PPI amp is 1 Ohm stable? It would appear not
by the specs above but the stereo salesman told me to wire the sub
dual voice coils in parallel.

Thank you

Kurt

Are you wanting to wire the subs together or individually? If your amp
is 2 ohm stable unbridged then you can wire the voice coils in parallel
for each sub. If you want to wire the subs together then you can wire
them 'like Wiring Option #2' (http://tinyurl.com/tekf) to get a 4 ohm
load.

BTW:a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub can only be wired for 2 or 8 ohms
unless wired with another sub.

--
Kurt

AJ

Kurt wrote in message ...
Are you wanting to wire the subs together or individually? If your amp
is 2 ohm stable unbridged then you can wire the voice coils in parallel
for each sub. If you want to wire the subs together then you can wire
them 'like Wiring Option #2' (http://tinyurl.com/tekf) to get a 4 ohm
load.

BTW:a dual 4 ohm voice coil sub can only be wired for 2 or 8 ohms
unless wired with another sub.

You are right. The dual 4 ohm voice coils subs will be either 2 ohm
(in parallel) or 4 ohm (in series). My PPI PC650 amp bridged is rated
for 4-8 ohm, but unbridged rates for 2-8 ohm, so I am OK running each
sub wired parallel (2 ohm) to each side of the sub outs on the amp.
Thanks for your help!

Paul Vina

You are right. The dual 4 ohm voice coils subs will be either 2 ohm
(in parallel) or 4 ohm (in series

No, in series it's 8 ohms, not 4 ohms. It'll be 2 ohms in parallel.

Paul Vina