Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline

Default motorcycle battery powered amp

Hello Group, This may be a little off topic but hard to find a forum
on this subject... I want to power my guitar amp with a Motorcycle
battery, i have seen the gypsies here in Paris using this system to
power their amps but for the life of me can't get any solid info on
how to do this. I have a roland Street Cube amp that runs on 6 AA
batteries, i tried using recharable batteries but they don't have 1/10
the power i get from alcaline, it's expensive to buy alcaline
batteries so i would like to rig up a 12V moto battery, if anyone
knows how to do this i would appreciate it very much if you could
shine a light on this for me thanks,,,
Posted to rec.audio.pro
George's Pro Sound Company George's Pro Sound Company is offline

"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message
Hello Group, This may be a little off topic but hard to find a forum
on this subject... I want to power my guitar amp with a Motorcycle
battery, i have seen the gypsies here in Paris using this system to
power their amps but for the life of me can't get any solid info on
how to do this. I have a roland Street Cube amp that runs on 6 AA
batteries, i tried using recharable batteries but they don't have 1/10
the power i get from alcaline, it's expensive to buy alcaline
batteries so i would like to rig up a 12V moto battery, if anyone
knows how to do this i would appreciate it very much if you could
shine a light on this for me thanks,,,

assuming you can run off a ac supply
go to auto or camping store and get a inverter
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Jack Jarmush wrote:
Hello Group, This may be a little off topic but hard to find a forum
on this subject... I want to power my guitar amp with a Motorcycle
battery, i have seen the gypsies here in Paris using this system to
power their amps but for the life of me can't get any solid info on
how to do this. I have a roland Street Cube amp that runs on 6 AA
batteries, i tried using recharable batteries but they don't have 1/10
the power i get from alcaline, it's expensive to buy alcaline
batteries so i would like to rig up a 12V moto battery, if anyone
knows how to do this i would appreciate it very much if you could
shine a light on this for me thanks,,,

If it takes 6 AA batteries, it wants 9V, not 12V. Does it have a
connector on the back for a 9V wall wart? If so, you're golden.... get
a big 9V stack of D or larger NiCds and plug it into the power jack.
Otherwise you're going to have to add a connector on the back so you
can plug external power in.... just run it parallel to the battery
leads and don't use it with batteries in.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Walter Harley Walter Harley is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

If it takes 6 AA batteries, it wants 9V, not 12V. Does it have a
connector on the back for a 9V wall wart?

It does, according to the online specs. Since cheap 9V wall warts aren't
regulated I suspect it doesn't care very much whether it gets 12V.

But 8 NiMH batteries in series (1.2V * 8 = about right) will probably do
better than a motorcycle battery anyway, and they'll survive repeated
charging and discharging better.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 20, 3:08*am, "Soundhaspriority" wrote:
"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message

Hello Group, This may be a little off topic but hard to find a forum
on this subject... I want to power my guitar amp with a Motorcycle
battery, i have seen the gypsies here in Paris using this system to
power their amps but for the life of me can't get any solid info on
how to do this. I have a roland Street Cube amp that runs on 6 AA
batteries, i tried using recharable batteries but they don't have 1/10
the power i get from alcaline, it's expensive to buy alcaline
batteries so i would like to rig up a 12V moto battery, if anyone
knows how to do this i would appreciate it very much if you could
shine a light on this for me thanks,,,

6AA = 9 V.

Rather than use a motorcycle battery, I suggest this:http://www.bixnet.com/unpodvbapa.html

Believe it or not, it actually has around the same capacity as a motorcycle
battery, but weighs much less.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

thanks for the tip Bob, that battery is for a laptop and says it will
run a laptop for 3-6 hours, do you think it would run my amp with
guitar and and a vocal mic for 3-6 hours ?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jack Jarmush Jack Jarmush is offline

On Dec 20, 8:17 am, "Walter Harley"
wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

If it takes 6 AA batteries, it wants 9V, not 12V. Does it have a
connector on the back for a 9V wall wart?

It does, according to the online specs. Since cheap 9V wall warts aren't
regulated I suspect it doesn't care very much whether it gets 12V.

But 8 NiMH batteries in series (1.2V * 8 = about right) will probably do
better than a motorcycle battery anyway, and they'll survive repeated
charging and discharging better.

This is interesting, i was using 6 NiMH AA rechargeable batteries but
the power was substandard, are you saying if i use 8 batteries and buy
some kind of battery pack it would increase the power substantially or
should i try using C or D size batteries (as Scott Dorsey suggested)
or perhaps 16 AA batteries. I need good power to run my acoustic
guitar and a vocal mic with some effects for 6 hours.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

If it takes 6 AA batteries, it wants 9V, not 12V. Does it have a
connector on the back for a 9V wall wart?

It does, according to the online specs. Since cheap 9V wall warts aren't
regulated I suspect it doesn't care very much whether it gets 12V.

But 8 NiMH batteries in series (1.2V * 8 = about right) will probably do
better than a motorcycle battery anyway, and they'll survive repeated
charging and discharging better.

This is interesting, i was using 6 NiMH AA rechargeable batteries but
the power was substandard, are you saying if i use 8 batteries and buy
some kind of battery pack it would increase the power substantially or
should i try using C or D size batteries (as Scott Dorsey suggested)
or perhaps 16 AA batteries. I need good power to run my acoustic
guitar and a vocal mic with some effects for 6 hours.

6 disposable alkaline batteries of whatever size start off giving
nominally 9 (6 x 1.5) volts dropping to about 7 volts at the end of
their useful life, but 6 NiMh rechargeable batteries , whatever size
they are, only give between 8 and 9 volts (6 x 1.4 (ish)) when they're
fresh, quickly dropping to just over 7 which they keep up until they're
mearly flat. In this case, your amplifier thinks the batteries are flat
when you start playing. To replace 6 alkaline cells, you need 8
rechargeables, near enough. 10 bigger cells in a holder and a power
supply like the one you'd use in a car will give you more life.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

thanks for the tip Bob, that battery is for a laptop and says it will
run a laptop for 3-6 hours, do you think it would run my amp with
guitar and and a vocal mic for 3-6 hours ?

1. Get a well-known brand of alkaline batteries.

2. Find out how long you can use the amp with those batteries (and that
means normal playing time, not just idling on the shelf).

3. Get the capacity rating in amp-hours from the manufacturer's data
sheet, which you can find on the web. Energizer Industrial AA cells
are rated for 2.77 Ah, but other brands will be different.

4. Draw up the ratio. If your battery pack has twice the amp-hour rating,
it will run your rig for twice as long, more or less (There is an issue
that alkalines will drop off more suddenly in voltage as they discharge
but the ratio will get you in the ballpark.)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

This is interesting, i was using 6 NiMH AA rechargeable batteries but
the power was substandard, are you saying if i use 8 batteries and buy
some kind of battery pack it would increase the power substantially or
should i try using C or D size batteries (as Scott Dorsey suggested)
or perhaps 16 AA batteries. I need good power to run my acoustic
guitar and a vocal mic with some effects for 6 hours.

If you use a C battery or a D battery, it will run for substantially
longer than an AA battery.

You have the ADDITIONAL problem that NiCd and NiMH batteries are 1.2V
cells, and not 1.5V cells like alkalines are. So six alkalines give you 9V,
while six NiCds only give you 7.2V. If you want 9V you need to add a
couple more cells.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

The spec poop sheet says: "Best of all, it can run for up to 15 hours on
just six AA alkaline batteries." That's a couple of days playing on the
street. I just bought a 48 pack of AA Energizer alkaline batteries at
Home Depot for $16.49. If it will actually give you 15 hours playing
time on a set of batteries, it's just a few cents more than a dollar a
day to keep it fed. I'll bet you spend more than that on coffee.

The spec sheet also says the current draw is 235 ma. How they get 2x2.5
watts out of that I don't know (maybe it's the current drain of the AC
adapter on the AC side - it's not clear). Probably by the same math as
the 100 watts/channel PC speakers I saw that were powered by a 5 watt
wall wart.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Dec 19, 6:20 pm, Jack Jarmush wrote:
Hello Group, This may be a little off topic but hard to find a forum
on this subject... I want to power my guitar amp with a Motorcycle
battery, i have seen the gypsies here in Paris using this system to
power their amps but for the life of me can't get any solid info on
how to do this. I have a roland Street Cube amp that runs on 6 AA
batteries, i tried using recharable batteries but they don't have 1/10
the power i get from alcaline, it's expensive to buy alcaline
batteries so i would like to rig up a 12V moto battery, if anyone
knows how to do this i would appreciate it very much if you could
shine a light on this for me thanks,,,

A motorcycle battery as used in my bike is 28 amps/12 Volts. It is AGM
so there isn't any maintenance as far as adding water. You could use a
smaller battery as well.

Get a car adapter for a 9 volt output and tie it into the bike
battery. (Radio Shack in US) It will run your amp for days.

To charge it, get a battery tender type of charger (Schumacher, about
$20 in the US) . these charge at a very low rate of about 1.75 amps
and have a trickle mode when the battery is charged. Using any more
than a 2 amp charger will damage the battery.

A flooded lead acid battery will be a lot less money, but you have the
danger of acid spills, and the proximity of the battery may damage
other stuff such as the electronics and clothes.

Yuasa , Panasonic and others make both AGM and Gel cells that will
work just fine.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message
Hello Group, This may be a little off topic but hard to find a forum
on this subject... I want to power my guitar amp with a Motorcycle
battery, i have seen the gypsies here in Paris using this system to
power their amps but for the life of me can't get any solid info on
how to do this. I have a roland Street Cube amp that runs on 6 AA
batteries, i tried using recharable batteries but they don't have 1/10
the power i get from alcaline, it's expensive to buy alcaline
batteries so i would like to rig up a 12V moto battery, if anyone
knows how to do this i would appreciate it very much if you could
shine a light on this for me thanks,,,

Typical Lead Acid batteries do not like being deeply discharged and
recharged, they will not last very long at all under these conditions. They
are designed for systems that constantly keep them fully charged. You'd be
far better off going for Nicads etc, which are more suited for this kind of
application.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

'Typical' lead acid batteries are as you describe, but lead acid gel
cells are available that will tolerate such use. That was my first
thought when I read the OP; but dry rechargeables are probably a better
bet...as most other respondents have indicated. If I were the OP, I
think I'd spring for some high capacity NimHs and be done with it.
Charging them up each night shouldn't be an issue, although the initial
outlay for cells and charger would be substantial.

jak
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 21, 5:01*am, jakdedert wrote:
Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

jak- Hide quoted text -

How would i use 8 or 12 recharchable AA batteries when there is only
space for 6, how do i rig that up ? i can't seem to find anything on
the net when i search, is there such a thing as empty battery packs i
can buy or will i have to make one myself or have one made?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

battery holders are easily available in most any config.
george

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Gareth Magennis wrote:
"Jack Jarmush" wrote in message

I still think a product like this would be your best bet
and you simply plug you ac wall wart into it

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H774C8?...0&linkCode=asn

george

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

How would i use 8 or 12 recharchable AA batteries when there is only
space for 6, how do i rig that up ?

I believe that the suggestion was to make an external battery pack that
you could connect to the wall wart input - assuming that the external
power supply is DC and not AC going to a bridge rectifier to make a
bipolar DC supply. Here's one from Digi-Key that holds four D Cells:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=BH24DL-ND

And four AA cells:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=BH24DL-ND

It would be up to you to wire them together to get the appropriate
voltage, and mount them somehow. Perhaps you could attach them to the
back of the amplifier cabinet. Simply substituting D cells for the stock
AA cells would give you considerably more playing time, and you could
use rechargeable cells if you think that would be more economical.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron Capik Ron Capik is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article ,
Jack Jarmush wrote:
[...]

I'm surprised nobody has suggested a DC to DC switching
regulator. For example, check out the LT3493-3 - 1.2A, 750kHz
Step-Down Switching Regulator:

http://www.linear.com/pc/productDeta...C1 064,P30532

The thing has about 80% efficiency. Don't believe you'd get
anywhere near that with an inverter and wall wart.

[OK, not the kind of thing one finds at Radio Shack]

Later...

Ron Capik

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

How would i use 8 or 12 recharchable AA batteries when there is only
space for 6, how do i rig that up ? i can't seem to find anything on
the net when i search, is there such a thing as empty battery packs i
can buy or will i have to make one myself or have one made?

Go to a battery supplier like "Batteries Plus" or "Battery Outlet" and
ask them to make you an 8-cell pack and sell you a charger for it.
They will spotweld the cells together and tape them up. You will probably
have to solder the connector on to their leads to fit your amp.

You could also buy a generic battery holder at Radio Shack and solder the
leads on it, then use removable NiCd cells.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 21, 6:59 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Jack Jarmush wrote:

How would i use 8 or 12 recharchable AA batteries when there is only
space for 6, how do i rig that up ? i can't seem to find anything on
the net when i search, is there such a thing as empty battery packs i
can buy or will i have to make one myself or have one made?

Go to a battery supplier like "Batteries Plus" or "Battery Outlet" and
ask them to make you an 8-cell pack and sell you a charger for it.
They will spotweld the cells together and tape them up. You will probably
have to solder the connector on to their leads to fit your amp.

You could also buy a generic battery holder at Radio Shack and solder the
leads on it, then use removable NiCd cells.

Is there a specific reason to use NiCd as opposed to NiMH ? have 8 GP
NiMH rechargeable cells.

I emailed Bixnet.com the makers of external laptop batteries asking
what they thought about their battery supplying power for the Roland
Cube Street and they replied quickly and if it is real it seems like a
good solution, what do you think ? here is the Bixnet response:

Dear Rob:

The PM66 battery will have more than enough power to power your guitar
amplifier. Its maximum power output can reach 18W, your amplifier
seems only needs about 2W. So battery can power your amplifier about
25 ~ 30 hours at full charge.

If the battery polarity matches your amplifier and one of the round
shape connector fits your amplifier, then the battery will work for
you.

If in case the battery does not work for you, you can return within 30
days for refund. However, shipping charge is not refundable.

Thanks
Customer Service

Boxen.com /BiX Computers
9651 Irvine Center Drive
Irvine, CA 92618, USA
Tel. 949-727-4151
Fax. 949-727-4156
E-Mail:
Web site:

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

How would i use 8 or 12 recharchable AA batteries when there is only
space for 6, how do i rig that up ? i can't seem to find anything on
the net when i search, is there such a thing as empty battery packs i
can buy or will i have to make one myself or have one made?

Go to a battery supplier like "Batteries Plus" or "Battery Outlet" and
ask them to make you an 8-cell pack and sell you a charger for it.
They will spotweld the cells together and tape them up. *You will probably
have to solder the connector on to their leads to fit your amp.

You could also buy a generic battery holder at Radio Shack and solder the
leads on it, then use removable NiCd cells.
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

[...]

Web site: - Hide quoted text -

here is the link to the Bixnet battery soundhaspriority suggested
earlier in this thread:

http://www.bixnet.com/unpodvbapa.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:
Is there a specific reason to use NiCd as opposed to NiMH ? have 8 GP
NiMH rechargeable cells.

Not really. They are cheaper and more rugged usually, but have less
current-time for a given size.

If you already have 8 cells lying around, go to Radio Shack and buy
the plug that fits your amp, and an 8-cell D battery holder. You
may have to get two 4-cell holders and wire them in series. Go to the
local 5-and-10 and buy a dop kit. Put the battery holders in the dop
kit, wire a cord from the plug to the battery holders, maybe stick
a facecloth in there to keep them from moving around.

I emailed Bixnet.com the makers of external laptop batteries asking
what they thought about their battery supplying power for the Roland
Cube Street and they replied quickly and if it is real it seems like a
good solution, what do you think ? here is the Bixnet response:

Dear Rob:

The PM66 battery will have more than enough power to power your guitar
amplifier. Its maximum power output can reach 18W, your amplifier
seems only needs about 2W. So battery can power your amplifier about
25 ~ 30 hours at full charge.

That sounds reasonable, but it will cost more than the $10 that a couple
battery holders, a connector, and a dop kit will cost.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

[...]

http://www.bixnet.com/unpodvbapa.html- Hide quoted text -

One more problem is that the Bixnet PM66 battery is positive polarity
and the Roland Cube Street is negative polarity, is there a solution
for this ?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 21, 10:06*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Jack Jarmush wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot for info scott, is there a reason to get D size battery
holders as opposed to AA ?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:
[...]

Jack,
The advantage of the lithium pack is if you're going to play alot. Any
rechargable solution will beat alkalines in the long run. You should do the
calc. There are also cost issues between different types of batteries:

1. NiMH go about 200 cycles.
2. NiCD last longer, but have low energy storage compared to NiMH
3. Lead acid solutions have the least number of cycles, the highest weight
(by far!), and used to be cheaper, although this has changed.
4. Lithium batteries have the highest energy density, the lightest weight,
the highest number of cycles, and the highest initial cost.

If you decide to go with lithium, there is something to keep in mind.
Lithiums have what is known as a "calendar life", which means they
deteriorate on the shelf. In your use, I predict you could get far more than
the advertised 500 cycles, upwards of 1500 cycles out of the Bix pack,
provided it is not used in direct sunlight. Shield it with your amp box and
keep it off a hot sidewalk. But if it sits on the shelf under conditions of
high charge state and high temperature, it will lose a lot of capacity in a
few years, though it would certainly be usable.

When you are not playing daily, store your lithium pack in the refrigerator
or freezer in a ziplock bag. Allow it to warm up a bit before you take it
out of the bag. If it's not going to be used for a while, keep it at
somewhat less than maximum charge. The optimal for long term storage is 40%
charge. All my lithium batteries are stored in a freezer at 13F when not in
use. Freezing the batteries arrests the "calendar counter."

If you prefer to operate in the devil-may-care mode, I'd go with Scott's
solution, with large alkalines. But I would stay away from the investment in
larger-than-AA NiMH cells, as these are expensive, and actually more
delicate than the lithium solution.

Bob Morein (310) 237-6511 - Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the concise information on batteries, a great help and
just the info i can use. Lithium does seem like a good solution but
the problem is the Roland Cube Street amp is negative polarity and the
PM66 lithium battery is positive polarity.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

Thanks a lot for info scott, is there a reason to get D size battery
holders as opposed to AA ?

Because, as I pointed out in the first reply in this thread, D sized
batteries have a lot more current capacity than AA cells. Figure
to get about five times the running time with D cells rather than AAs.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack Jarmush wrote:

Thank you for the concise information on batteries, a great help and
just the info i can use. Lithium does seem like a good solution but
the problem is the Roland Cube Street amp is negative polarity and the
PM66 lithium battery is positive polarity.

So cut the damn connector off and put another one on. You could have
built a dozen of these things in the time you've spent here.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 21, 11:02*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Jack Jarmush wrote:

Thank you for the concise information on batteries, a great help and
just the info i can use. Lithium does seem like a good solution but
the problem is the Roland Cube Street amp is negative polarity and the
PM66 lithium battery is positive polarity.

So cut the damn connector off and put another one on. *You could have
built a dozen of these things in the time you've spent here.
"C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

ha ha ok sorry for the daft questions, i got it now...

I will try the cheapest solution first to use the 8 AA NiMH i already
have wih a battery holder and see if that works and if it doesn't i
will get the Lithium. I'm not sure the 8 AA's will work because 6 of
them only sounded good for a few minutes as opossed to alcaline which
sound good for around 6-8 hours so i don't know how just 2 more
batteries will improve the sound but i'll try it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Misifus[_2_] Misifus[_2_] is offline

Jack Jarmush wrote:
[...]

I'm sure if you look carefully, that the battery will have both positive
and negative terminals.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafiii
home: http://www.rafandsioux.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech,aus.hi-fi,rec.music.classical

The crossposting and the sadly mean comments are a tipoff that this
post is from the Buzzard News imposter, a pathetic fixture here
in rec.audio.pro and likely other places.

Everyone, please starve a troll.

Thanks,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Misifus[_2_] Misifus[_2_] is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Misifus" wrote in message
Jack Jarmush wrote:

[snip]
One more problem is that the Bixnet PM66 battery is positive polarity
and the Roland Cube Street is negative polarity, is there a solution
for this ?

I'm sure if you look carefully, that the battery will have both positive
and negative terminals.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafiii
home: http://www.rafandsioux.com

It does not (I have one here), but it is easy to make an adapter.

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I see what you mean, however, it is available with either a positive or
negative polarity.

-Raf