Danny Williams

Default Cambridge Audio A3i Intermittent Fault

Hi All

Having a really strange problem with my Cambridge Audio A3i.

When I power it on, more often than not, it appears that the power amp
isn't working. All the LEDs are illuminated - both on the front panel
and on the circuit board.

What I have noticed is that it sounds like there is a relay somewhere
inside. When the amp works, the relay clicks after a few seconds and
sounds comes out of the speakers. When the amp doesn't work, there is no
click from the relay and no sound.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem? If so, where should I start
looking?

I have an Electronic Engineering degree but am a bit rusty - I can still
read a circuit diagram though, so you can talk technical with me!

Thanks,

Danny

Nigel Cook

"Danny Williams" wrote in message
Hi All

Having a really strange problem with my Cambridge Audio A3i.

When I power it on, more often than not, it appears that the power amp
isn't working. All the LEDs are illuminated - both on the front panel
and on the circuit board.

What I have noticed is that it sounds like there is a relay somewhere
inside. When the amp works, the relay clicks after a few seconds and
sounds comes out of the speakers. When the amp doesn't work, there is no
click from the relay and no sound.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem? If so, where should I start
looking?

I have an Electronic Engineering degree but am a bit rusty - I can still
read a circuit diagram though, so you can talk technical with me!

Thanks,

Danny

Speaking genreically rather than Cambridge kit.
The relay probably protects speakers
from DC imbalance at switch on and maybe other
problems. It is a common problem that these
protection circuits falsely detect problems due to
component drift over time.

e-mail (removing .....) electronic hints and repair briefs , schematics/manuals list on
http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~diverse

Nigel,Diverse Devices,Southampton,England

Danny Williams

Hi Nigel

Thanks for your comments.

The amplifier appears to be behaving itself so far.

Any advice/guidance on what I could do to detect a possible problem with
the detection circuits (seems quite recursive to me!)?

Regards,

Danny