Roger W. Norman

Default I can't believe...

that no one has questions about our compadres in New Orleans who obviously
have to be missing on the forum. During tornadoes in Nashville, through the
9/11 attacks, people here have been aware of what's happening to others
around the nation and have responded with concern. Yet I find nothing here
and we know for a fact that there are those who may need help and not a
single note of concern.

If anyone knows of any of our RAP contributors that needs a place to live
for the next four months or whatever (my true guess is 18 months), whilst
this nation works towards some solution to this problem, I volunteer my
home, even at the expense of my wife becoming incensed about the
possibility. I don't know how anyone would get here, since I live just
outside of DC, but I have no doubts that people who are in such dire
straights cannot go about setting their lives straight without the
deliberate help of others to offer these people a place to start to recover.
It is impossible for anyone to get a job and start to try to recover from
such a tragedy in a shelter such as the Astrodome. It is impossible for
anyone to qualm the fears of their children without stability in their
surroundings. It will be impossible for the nightmares to end without each
and every one of us doing what we can do.

This is one of those times where a CD compilation won't do the job. No
money, however much it could possibly be, will accomplish the goals
necessary. We have to come to a much more human offering, that being a life
to those that now have nothing with which to call a life. I have no clue as
to how my wife and I could accomplish more than an offering of space to live
as limited as that would be, some level of identity for them, and a severly
restricted food supply (we'd have to have less, but they would have more),
but today I heard a woman calling from the Convention Center in N.O. and it
was her second time calling CNN. The first time there were 8 bodies in the
refrigerators. 4 hours later there were 12.

How can we help? Certainly money doesn't do the job, for there are no
places for these people to live, no jobs to go to, no abilities for them to
gain medical attention, and nothing to say that people care. The only
option would be to offer our help in the only way we can. Give people a
place to live so they can try to recover.

I know my wife will kill me for offering, although I see the horror in her
eyes. Then again it means room for one more. I'll be glad to give up my
studio for 18 months if that's what it takes.

Can anyone imagine what toll it would take if New York had to be evacuated?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

SSJVCmag

On 9/2/05 2:42 PM, in article , "Roger W.
Norman" wrote:
AND BEARS REPEATING:

[...]

There has been such over on the AMPEX BACKROOM list, as there has been on
The movie production NG (to the amusing consternation of at least one member
who complained that the posts of a poster on the ground there were annoying
and irreleveant... He was shouted down nicely!)
This is hardly the primarily barlike, adult, human and civil forum it once
was and it doesn;t surprise me.

I know my wife will kill me for offering, although I see the horror in her
eyes. Then again it means room for one more. I'll be glad to give up my
studio for 18 months if that's what it takes.

Can anyone imagine what toll it would take if New York had to be evacuated?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/

Roger W. Norman

This is hardly the primarily barlike, adult, human and civil forum it once
was and it doesn;t surprise me.

It infuriates me. What mic should I use to grab the last gasp of life from
the stricken in New Orleans? Or the wail of a 3 year old that hasn't been
fed or given a drink of water in 5 days? Certainly the frequency
requirements suggest that a number of alternatives be considered. Or should
I suggest that the frequency of requirements for support on the American
homefront should have a number of alternatives be considered. Or perhaps
should we even be allowing a $250 Million dollar bridge project in Alaska to
an island of 50 people be part of the pork barrel Transportation bill since
ONE THIRD of that figure would have shored up the levees in and around New
Orleans so that it would have taken a Category 5+ hurricane to do what a
Category 3 (on the western side of the hurricane) did.

So why are there no alternatives considered in how to help these people
recover their lives if mic considerations are appropriate in just the
capturing of sound? Because, perhaps, this President and his official
honchos don't have a clue of what these people's lives were like in the
first place or don't really care? Or is it that the same type of mic is
always in front of their faces because they decide they want to say
something? The SNR of photo ops/news conferences to the dead/dying is
overwhelming. Regardless of whether anyone thinks me a whimp, I cry at
least a couple of times a day when I think of just how bad this is; the loss
of a city renowned for entertainment and what could have been saved had any
of the Administration paid attention to just the possibility of a disaster
waiting to happen on American soil, much less listened to the Army Corps of
Engineers.

I said this on my blog, but since a lot of you don't pay attention (which is
fine) then I'm going to say it now. In the past year the Army Corps of
Engineers stated that the levees have SUNK 4 feet. By my miniscule math
abilities that puts it over 1 foot for every one hundred days during the
last year. It's impossible to NOT notice such a decline in the one level of
protection that New Orleans had over holding the water at bay.

An interesting aside is, here in the DC area, my wife just passed a gas
station with lines up to one mile long. So much for the ability to trust
this Administration and their ability to actually do the business of
government.

Rest gently, America. You won't get a chance soon.

--

"SSJVCmag" wrote in message
On 9/2/05 2:42 PM, in article , "Roger W.
Norman" wrote:
AND BEARS REPEATING:

[...]

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message...

that no one has questions about our compadres in New Orleans who obviously
have to be missing on the forum.

I sent mail to Richard Webb and Jeannie Perkins... got an answer from Jean,
she is fine - lost only the things that were at her work place and a car left
in remote parking for mass transit... house came through fine. Nothing yet
from 'El-Spider'. I don't know anyone else who was for sure there.

DM

Roger W. Norman

It's nice to know that at least one person is fine.

I urge everyone to figure out what can be done. If someone will sponsor a
family's trip to DC, I'll put them up. It won't be pretty and it won't be
fun. But it can be done and if just a few of us try, we can make a
difference. Any effort makes a difference but money isn't enough. But it's
obvious that nothing the governments do will ever actually help. They may
save some lives, but what lives will they be?

Apparently people all over the country are now responding, regardless of
whether it's to my particular call or not. The idea is that Americans have
to figure out this problem because our government can't. And if that's the
way it's got to be then so be it. Nobody gets off scott free on this one.
Either it costs you in gas, or the loss of seafood, or any number of other
possibilities, or you step up and do something about it thereby making what
you lost feel better because you helped. And even if it costs in food, gas
or other commodities, we have the ability to bring this nation back together
in common cause. Saving lives, saving families, and building on the
foundation of communal togetherness.

As I'm typing Condi Rice is again lying to the American public by making
statements not in evidence, like accepting help from outside sources. From
what I remember just a couple of days ago, Hugo Chavez of Venezula offered
help and was turned down by no communications from the USA at all. The US
has not accepted any help from any agency of any other government in the
world. In the true Cowboy style of this piece of **** President, we'll go
it alone, damned the consequences.

****, what happened to Ain't to Proud to Beg?

--

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in message

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message...

that no one has questions about our compadres in New Orleans who obvious

ly
have to be missing on the forum.

I sent mail to Richard Webb and Jeannie Perkins... got an answer from

Jean,
she is fine - lost only the things that were at her work place and a car

left
in remote parking for mass transit... house came through fine. Nothing

yet
from 'El-Spider'. I don't know anyone else who was for sure there.

DM

Animix

I urge everyone to figure out what can be done. If someone will sponsor a
family's trip to DC, I'll put them up.

There is a Red Cross Shelter in DC that is taking folks from New Orleans.
You might want to get in contact with them.

I've been able to reach a few friends of mine down there by e-mail and
luckily they survived this. One of them is now homeless and may be on his
way here now. I'm waiting to hear.

There is also a relief effort being organized here to take people in.
Transportation has been the real issue, but that's being solved.

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message...

that no one has questions about our compadres in New Orleans who

obvious
ly
have to be missing on the forum.

I sent mail to Richard Webb and Jeannie Perkins... got an answer from

Jean,
she is fine - lost only the things that were at her work place and a car

left
in remote parking for mass transit... house came through fine. Nothing

yet
from 'El-Spider'. I don't know anyone else who was for sure there.

DM

Roger W. Norman

I did. In fact, we should have 400 evacuees coming into the DC Armory
tomorrow or Tuesday, but they only want money or food. I can do either, but
that wasn't my point, as has been exhibited by the hijacking of my original
post. The idea was that we, as Americans, should be able to offer MORE,
like a real place to live, a real place to try to gain work to rebuild
lives, a real place to take a shower or put a child to bed, or give them
something they can hold on to.

However this Jona guy wanted to go off on me, it doesn't make any
difference. He actually took time away from my efforts in trying to help
individual people and families towards getting somewhere that they can do
something for themselves. Anyone that doesn't recognize the obstacles
placed into the path of people wanting to help themselves once the
government gets involved simply haven't paid attention. I'm absolutely
positive that the American people are better able to take care of other
Americans, physically, emotionally and psychologically, than the federal
government.

For those interested in the DC area with supporting families from the
devastation in the Gulf, I will be glad to act as a central point of contact
because I've already been working on developing contacts. I may or may not
be able to get through the red tape, but I can only try. Numbers mean more
than individuals that won't get anywhere within the agencies involved.

--

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message...

that no one has questions about our compadres in New Orleans who

obvious
ly
have to be missing on the forum.

I sent mail to Richard Webb and Jeannie Perkins... got an answer

from
Jean,
she is fine - lost only the things that were at her work place and a

car
left
in remote parking for mass transit... house came through fine.

Nothing
yet
from 'El-Spider'. I don't know anyone else who was for sure there.

DM

SSJVCmag

Just as a bright point, WPFW all weekend has been working as a
non-governmental touchpoint for organising local resources af housing (they
have a group with at least one building with available space and a call for
carpenters to work it into living space gratis) and other resources in DC

Arny Krueger

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in
message
I did. In fact, we should have 400 evacuees coming into
the DC Armory tomorrow or Tuesday, but they only want
money or food. I can do either, but that wasn't my
point, as has been exhibited by the hijacking of my
original post. The idea was that we, as Americans,
should be able to offer MORE, like a real place to live,
a real place to try to gain work to rebuild lives, a real
place to take a shower or put a child to bed, or give
them something they can hold on to.

Texas has absorbed about 250,000 evacuees. Even Detroit has
taken on 3,000 evacuees.

Roger W. Norman

Well, I can't believe I've gotten only a couple of responses, mostly from
people that know me, but I'm now going to try to get in touch with
authorities to get a family here to offer them shelter. New Orleans is
going to burn to the waterline. My wife and I are going to step forward,
and I hope that some of you will follow suit.

I'll keep you appraised.

[...]

Roger W. Norman

I've not found a responsible agency that would put me into touch with anyone
that could use moving out of New Orleans. I find this stupidity. The city
is going to burn to the ground or at least to the water line. And there's
no response, no matter how I try, to come up with a contact to bring any
family up from New Orleans, nor anyone that wants to take responsibility for
accepting the help my wife and I have chosen to give. This is outlandish.
The President simply used the entire situation as a photo op. I am offering
a possible solution.

I am daunted by the impossibility to actually give help. But I will try
again. I'm going to try by starting to contact Greyhound to move families
to people interested in giving people homes for the short term, but more
importantly, getting them to commit to moving the people away from where
they are the most affected by what is happening to their city. After that,
I will start calling other businesses to see whether it's possible to move
people. It's a holiday weekend and this morning my local TV news broadcast
was talking about people going to the beaches. I doubt this is the case.
Who, in their right minds, could walk away from this problem without wanting
to help?

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Well, you can't get there from here. There are no responsible agencies that
take calls, no places to call other than if you have relatives, and no way
to try to offer help on a personal basis.

Now I recognize that a lot is going on, but there should always be an avenue
of communications that allows the individual to help, even if it takes
deliving into the most basic layers of a website, but even with direct calls
to FEMA and other bodies, no one wants to allow for the possibility that the
average American can help. This is stupidity in it's purest form. After
some 2 hours of trying to work the phones, calling everyone I can get a hold
of, I have nothing. It's not possible for the average American to help.

I realize that the time frames of my posts don't support the 2 hours of
effort, but believe me, I've spent a lot more time than two hours. By the
time any of us can get to help these people they will be beyond help. At
that point it doesn't make any difference whether you and I are willing to
provide homes. It becomes a moot point. Seems the federal government
thinks they have it all under contoll. I can't even get in touch with the
Govenor of Louisiana nor any of her cohorts. Not saying that any of her
cohorts should be answering the calls, but at least they should be answering
the questions if it means even on family saved.

[...]

Roger W. Norman

Obviously you didn't understand the idea that cash was not a solution to a
problem. Perhaps you believe spending money on a problem you don't
understand should produce more reasonable results? Like if your recording
isn't good enough moving to 24/96 is the answer? Correct me if I'm wrong,
but cash doesn't get to the people, and everything I've said about getting a
job, the length of the problem, and working on how children perceive what's
happening didn't touch you.

I guess this proves that idiots are born every minute. I just didn't expect
to get one.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/

"Jona Vark" wrote in message
. ..

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
Well, you can't get there from here. There are no responsible agencies

that
take calls, no places to call other than if you have relatives, and no

way
to try to offer help on a personal basis.

TRY SENDING CASH.

:|

banjaxed

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 22:50:39 GMT, "Jona Vark" wrote:

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message
Well, you can't get there from here. There are no responsible agencies

that
take calls, no places to call other than if you have relatives, and no way
to try to offer help on a personal basis.

TRY SENDING CASH.

:|

I'm not all that comfortable with just sending cash. I also feel
compelled to find a way to go down there and help out in some
constructive way. I'm way up here in canada and I'd be willing to
shelter people if need be.

Bob Cain

Roger W. Norman wrote:
I've not found a responsible agency that would put me into touch with anyone
that could use moving out of New Orleans.

Check with craigslist. I just heard on CNN that they are
stepping up to bat in trying to connect folks.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

Roger W. Norman wrote:
Well, I can't believe I've gotten only a couple of responses, mostly from
people that know me, but I'm now going to try to get in touch with
authorities to get a family here to offer them shelter.

Right on, Roger. Doing that will make you a giant in my eyes.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Peter Larsen

"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

that no one has questions about our compadres in New Orleans ...

I have had many and I was and I stil am deeply concerned about the
gravety, and took the silence here as an indication of how severe the
situation is, and still was perplexed by that silence and had expected
someone to post something. However it was somewhat obvious that people
with no mains power and flooded and or erased cities would not be likely
to to post about it presently.

Roger W. Norman

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Roger W. Norman

I was more looking towards finding if anyone was missing that might be
within our group of a group of our group. I didn't really expect people
from New Orleans to respond.

I'll give more information about the other efforts, although I posted just a
minute ago about what I've found out about my own area here just outside of
Washington, DC. Seems that some 400 evacuees will be heading this way in
the next day or two.

--

"Peter Larsen" wrote in message
"Roger W. Norman" wrote:

that no one has questions about our compadres in New Orleans ...

I have had many and I was and I stil am deeply concerned about the
gravety, and took the silence here as an indication of how severe the
situation is, and still was perplexed by that silence and had expected
someone to post something. However it was somewhat obvious that people
with no mains power and flooded and or erased cities would not be likely
to to post about it presently.

Roger W. Norman

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Bob Cain

Roger W. Norman wrote:

If anyone knows of any of our RAP contributors that needs a place to live
for the next four months or whatever (my true guess is 18 months), whilst
this nation works towards some solution to this problem, I volunteer my
home, even at the expense of my wife becoming incensed about the
possibility.

Not to in any way detract from your kind offer, Roger, but
what is needed right now is people everywhere being able and
willing to do this without regard to common interest or
commonality of any kind. The states which border this
catastrophe are simply not going to be able to do the job.
From the numbers of refugees that I've heard, people all
over this country are going to have to open their homes, or
even make their garages habitable and available, to solve
the problem. How people _with_ can be matched with people
_without_ is a problem that puzzles me, though.

This is the first time in a long time that I've regreted my
minimization of requirements (and income) to the least space
and facility I can reasonably get by with.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob Cain

Bob Cain wrote:

Roger W. Norman wrote:

If anyone knows of any of our RAP contributors that needs a place to live
for the next four months or whatever (my true guess is 18 months), whilst
this nation works towards some solution to this problem, I volunteer my
home, even at the expense of my wife becoming incensed about the
possibility.

Not to in any way detract from your kind offer, Roger, but what is
needed right now is people everywhere being able and willing to do this
without regard to common interest or commonality of any kind.

Oops. You were way ahead of me.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Roger W. Norman

Not a problem. Well, still might be a problem with my wife. Loss of her
father this year, a couple of my family, a stroke in my family, and more
dependence on all of us has kind of put things over the top. But I've
always found that humanity isn't the level of what you can't do, but what
you can do and no one knows what they can do until they try it. If there is
anything that requires trying harder, this must be it. If not, then we'll
be better prepared for the next time. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you
stronger. Perhaps we've come to the time where the stronger help the weaker
and we all get stronger.

But not if we put up with what I've been coming up with from the agencies
involved. Offering a person a place to live under these circumstances is
harder than trying to find a hen's tooth to extract. I've spent hours with
only regulations being regurgitated to me, and truthfully, if there were
regulations, why wasn't there action? And doesn't anyone have the authority
to say the regulations aren't working and step outside of the box?

Those of us that are Americans should be able to offer our homes to
Americans in need without question. Period. And local regulations
shouldn't stop us from housing more than what the normal circumstance
regulations require.

Time to do the right thing.

--

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Bob Cain wrote:

Roger W. Norman wrote:

If anyone knows of any of our RAP contributors that needs a place to

live
for the next four months or whatever (my true guess is 18 months),

whilst
this nation works towards some solution to this problem, I volunteer my
home, even at the expense of my wife becoming incensed about the
possibility.

Not to in any way detract from your kind offer, Roger, but what is
needed right now is people everywhere being able and willing to do this
without regard to common interest or commonality of any kind.

Oops. You were way ahead of me.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein

Arny Krueger

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in
message

Can anyone imagine what toll it would take if New York
had to be evacuated?

In fact 500,000 or more were evacuated from Manhattan on
9/11. On a normal workday there are 2.2 million commuters in
New York.

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in
message

Can anyone imagine what toll it would take if New York
had to be evacuated?

In fact 500,000 or more were evacuated from Manhattan on
9/11. On a normal workday there are 2.2 million commuters in
New York.

But they had a city to return to, didn't they?

David Morgan \(MAMS\)

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message ...
"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in
message news:uI0Te.12739$IT4.10269@trnddc04

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in
message

Can anyone imagine what toll it would take if New York
had to be evacuated?

In fact 500,000 or more were evacuated from Manhattan on
9/11. On a normal workday there are 2.2 million
commuters in New York.

But they had a city to return to, didn't they?

Different problem.

They really never got them out. The bridges were closed before the
evac was complete, no? Then, they were only a mile or so from food
and water and no "aftermath" on the environment. Basically, you are
trying to compare the disaster of a two-block radius, to the destruction
of an entire coast line and the loss of an entire major city. There is no
comparison. New York (albeit horrible) on 9/11 can't hold a candle to
the impact on society that is occuring here.

Arny Krueger

"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in
message news:kf1Te.13148$B34.7161@trnddc09
"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"David Morgan (MAMS)" wrote in
message news:uI0Te.12739$IT4.10269@trnddc04

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Roger W. Norman" wrote in
message

Can anyone imagine what toll it would take if New York
had to be evacuated?

In fact 500,000 or more were evacuated from Manhattan
on 9/11. On a normal workday there are 2.2 million
commuters in New York.

But they had a city to return to, didn't they?

Different problem.

Namely resettlement.

They really never got them out.

Really?

The bridges were closed before the evac was complete, no?

No that I know of. Outbound traffice was OK.

Then, they were only a mile or so from food
and water and no "aftermath" on the environment.

If you're in the WTC area, or down by Wall Street, its
probably a couple of mile walk to the other end of the
nearest bridge.

Basically, you are
trying to compare the disaster of a two-block radius, to
the destruction
of an entire coast line and the loss of an entire major
city.

I've walked the WTC disaster area, and its a lot more than a
two block radius. The WTC itself is about 4 blocks by 4
blocks. If you take the disaster area to include the
buildings that had their exteriors cleaned, the disaster
area is about 10 blocks by 10 blocks. The actual area that
was cleared was far larger than that.

There is no comparison.

Agreed, but I'm addressing a specific claim that evacuating
NY would have a toll in lives that would be somehow
comparable or greater.

New York (albeit horrible) on 9/11 can't hold a candle to
the impact on society that is occuring here.

Agreed! I was only addressing the evacuation, not the issues
related to resettlement or reconstruction.

Guitarboy

In article kf1Te.13148$B34.7161@trnddc09, MAMS\
wrote:

[...]

there was an environmental aftermath. many people couldn't come back to
their apartments as they were covered in all sorts of toxic dust. The
EPA was not honest about it's assesment of the air quality (what else
is new in this administration). Of course there was a city with food
water power and phones only a mile or so away but there was a feeling
that another attack was imminent. Different yet just as scary.
hank alrich

David Morgan (MAMS) wrote:

"Arny Krueger" wrote...
"Roger W. Norman" wrote

Can anyone imagine what toll it would take if New York
had to be evacuated?

In fact 500,000 or more were evacuated from Manhattan on
9/11. On a normal workday there are 2.2 million commuters in
New York.

But they had a city to return to, didn't they?

You mean like a city with power and water and highways, right? That sort
of little stuff Arny's taking for granted.

Arny, this line is making you look a lot like a guy who'd give SR advice
and not know what is FOH. Think about it. "I'm a comfortable white guy
with plenty of camping gear so I don't see why those folks had
problems." Unh hunh...

-
ha

Roger W. Norman

Yep. In order to camp on a lake first you MUST have a catamaran. And even
then you can't start a campfire. Well, you could once.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio
http://blogs.salon.com/0004478/