Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
vinyl believer

Default Vinyl is Still the Best Listening Medium?

I've done a lot of pro audio recording in the last 20 years but haven't
listened to LPs much at all during that time. But in the last year I've
been collecting some vinyl and bought a turntable. I was pretty amazed
at how much more presence Albums have compared to CDs. Sure CDs may
have more highs and lows but they really seem to be missing a lot of
information in comparison.

And my wife really noticed the difference (the old reliable "Girlfriend
Test"). I put on an old Stones record (her favorite) and she really
loved the sound. We then put on some cuts from the Stones' "40 Licks"
CD and there was no comparison for listening pleasure...... "Can you
really hear the difference?" I asked. After some thought she replied
"Well I can Feel the difference".

And you know she's right. We don't just hear sound. We always feel
sound to. And records are the only playback medium that actually
physically create a sound (a needle on vinyl that is then amplified.)
All other mediums are reproductions of sound and are not actually
physically re-creating a sound. (And of course speakers create sound in
all mediums.)

Anyway, we now play records most of the time and our listening pleasure
has increased greatly. (Of course it helps that we happen to be OLD and
like classic stuff.).... But records are a great bargin and more people
should consider it as a listening medium. You can go to the used record
store and get a nice collection for under $100 bucks!

In defense of digital let me state that the problem seems in most part
the resolution of CDs, 16bit/44khz. I record a lot at 24/96 and it's
worlds better than CD. But vinyl still has a presence that's hard to
beat.

VB