Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Default Surround Discs

I was going to post this in the "SACD Recommendation" thread, but it has
been so long since I could post anything, I thought I might as well start a
new thread. Here is what it was:

All -

I just bought two very interesting discs from Amazon:

Corigliano, Circus Maximus - called "High-Definition Audio Disc." 24 bit
88.2 kHz Stereo and Surround recordings. PCM stereo 2.0, DTS HD Master Audio
5.1. When you put it in the Sony BDP-SX1000 portable Blu Ray player, the
Display readout says it is 96k, either 5.1 or 2 channel and the 2 channel is
24 bit. So my portable player can play these higher bitrate tracks, and I
imagine I could hear it via the HDMI jack, if my receiver had HDMI input,
which it does not. So the question is, does this thing also have a normal DD
5.1 track because of the Blu Ray standard.

Trondheim, Divertimenti. This package has two discs in it, a SACD which has
DSD stereo, DSD 5.1 surround, and also has standard CD on it, and the Blu
Ray disc which has:

LPCM 2.0 and 5.1 24 bit/192
DTS HD Master Audio 5.1 24bit/192
Dolby True HD 5.1 24bit/192
DD - Dolby Digital 5.1 48k normal track (!) so Bingo, I can definitely play
this one at home.

What a field day for experimentation!

I know that my humble Pioneer BD60 can't play all of those, but when I tried
the discs at home they played! In surround! This has to be because of a
compatible DD 5.1 track on every disc.

The music is terrific - what I heard of it so far. Haven't been able to
crank it up yet for domestic peace reasons. But do you folks believe that
you can hear a difference with the fancy higher bitrate tracks?

Gary Eickmeier