Posted to rec.audio.pro
news.west.cox.net

Default Questions about old ribbon mic

I have a very old Webster Chicago ribbon mic (model 1222) I would say it is
a fairly unusual mic as I have done some fairly serious seaching around and
have never seen another like it or any info on it,

The mic seems to be balanced (three pins on the output) so I'm guessing it
may be a low impedance rather than high impedance mic but I'm not really
sure.

It is about seven inches from top to bottom , a little over one and a half
inches side to side, and almost an inch front to back. The ribbon itself
looks to be about two inches long and near a quarter inch wide.

I can get some sound out of it but the output is extemely low (15 to 20db
lower than my Beyer M260) and there is a loud hum as well. Again I'm
guessing but it seems that the ribbon in it might be over.

Would you say this mic is worth fixing or is it just a nice looking paper
weight? I don't necessarily think it would sound as good as an RCA 44 or a
77 I do wonder if it might be a bit higher quality than your average old
ribbon ribbon mic. I realize that Webster Chicago is known for wire
recorders and cheap dynamic mics that went with them but this model 1222
ribbon looks kind of nice

Anybody know anything about this mic or have any thoughts?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

news.west.cox.net wrote:

I can get some sound out of it but the output is extemely low (15 to 20db
lower than my Beyer M260) and there is a loud hum as well. Again I'm
guessing but it seems that the ribbon in it might be over.

Would you say this mic is worth fixing or is it just a nice looking paper
weight? I don't necessarily think it would sound as good as an RCA 44 or a
77 I do wonder if it might be a bit higher quality than your average old
ribbon ribbon mic. I realize that Webster Chicago is known for wire
recorders and cheap dynamic mics that went with them but this model 1222
ribbon looks kind of nice

Even if it's useless in the studio, some collector will buy it. I would
imagine that Clarence Kane or Mr. Sank could fix it if there is a problem
with the ribbon or transformer.

Anybody know anything about this mic or have any thoughts?

I have never seen one. I know Webcor as mostly a manufacturer of really
bad consumer gear in the thirties through the fifties. But Sank or Kane
might know.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
danger

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:45:51 -0800, "news.west.cox.net"
wrote:

I have a very old Webster Chicago ribbon mic (model 1222) I would say it is
a fairly unusual mic as I have done some fairly serious seaching around and
have never seen another like it or any info on it,

Webster did make some ribbons but the application was still for the
Wire recorder as far as I know send me a pic and I will take a look
(remove all the x's)