Revolvr

Default Cleaning out a can cap?

Season's greetings RATs!

I am designing a replacement power supply for a couple of Dyna Mk IVs.

Is it feasible to clean out the contents of the original can cap? Or will I
end up with a gooey toxic mess? I was thinking I could clean out the
contents of the original can cap and possibly insert 2 electrolytics. This
would leave me more room to work with under the chassis for the rest of the
power supply.

Tia,

-- Rev

Steve O'Neill

Hi:

Yes, you can clean out the contents of an old electrolytic and re-stuff with
new mfg caps; I've done it myself. Antique radio restorers do it all the
time.

The contents of old caps aren't particularly toxic but you don't want to eat
the stuff either. IIRC most electrolytics consist of two Al foil electrodes
separated by absorbent paper saturated with a borax/water solution or
something like that. OTOH, cleaning out one of these will be messy so set
up your workspace accordingly.

One aspect of re-stuffing I've never seen addressed to my satisfaction is
the fact that cooling may be compromised being that the new caps are
somewhat insulated within the old can. At the risk of overkill, I increase
my comfort level by using 105C rated caps.

--
Steve

Chris Morriss

In message yTkGb.37754$m83.4747@fed1read01, Revolvr
writes
Season's greetings RATs!

I am designing a replacement power supply for a couple of Dyna Mk IVs.

Is it feasible to clean out the contents of the original can cap? Or will I
end up with a gooey toxic mess? I was thinking I could clean out the
contents of the original can cap and possibly insert 2 electrolytics. This
would leave me more room to work with under the chassis for the rest of the
power supply.

Tia,

-- Rev

Yes, just carefully bend back the aluminium rim sealing up the old cap
and take the tag plate out. With luck you might be able to pull the
internals out connected to the tags. The liquid inside isn't too
harmful, but don't get it in cuts on your hands.

I put new 105C parts in to replace, and then fill it up with molten
candle wax, before re-sealing the end cap.

--
Chris Morriss
Chuck

The last one I cleaned out had the guts held inside the can with a bit of
tar. I applied a bit of hot air with the heat gun and the guts slid out
easily.
I cut the can just above the base, to preserve the base and connecton lugs,
then put it back together with a thin aluminum sleeve inside the cut,
expoxied, and the joint covered with sme neat 3m adhesive aluminum tape.
--Chuck