Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kele Kele is offline

Default Having a Breakdown

I fear my Adcom GTP-600 surround preamp ( http://oi38.tinypic.com/sfuxap.jp=
) has a problem (mine is cleaner than the one pictured). It=92s about
15 years old, I like it allot and can=92t afford to replace it with same
level of performance.

Here's what happened and what I know... there was a single semi-loud
pop sound; I was not in the room at the time but heard it. Upon
arriving, noticed the overall volume level had diminished. After
fiddling, I found that just the two surround modes: Adcom's Cinema and
Dolby Surround are bad. The other modes: Stadium, Concert Hall, Club,
five channel, and 2ch stereo seem ok.

When switched to either of the Dolby modes, as I turn up the Master
volume (to about 9:00 position) the main speaker's woofers extended
outward about an inch and stays there=85 and that is with no source
playing. I can move the volume higher and the woofer extends
further. When extended, the woofers move in and out slightly and
slowly. It=92s ugly.

For now, everything other than Dolby modes sound good and appear
normal. I don=92t go to Dolby modes at all and continue to use preamp
daily=85 it=92s rarely turned off.

Wondering if the Dolby section is like a chip that can be swapped out
=96 If I could get the part, a DIY job? I=92ve only found scary
electronic repair options locally, but could get some soldering done
if necessary. Adcom says contact Auth Service Center in Jersey.
Jersey=92s response to my email was simply, =93call us=94. I=92m not in th=
continental US, Jersey is far. I haven=92t cracked the un-vented case
ever; have no idea of internal. Before I do, I=92m trying to get
advice.

Bummed,

Kele

Eight Belles' breakdown: a predictable tragedy BretLudwig Audio Opinions 2 May 20th 08 03:07 AM
Beauty and the Breakdown - BS Studios [email protected] Pro Audio 2 December 4th 05 04:42 PM
Fast breakdown Carey Carlan Pro Audio 80 July 8th 05 08:14 AM
Fast breakdown Carey Carlan Pro Audio 0 November 18th 04 02:46 PM