{ M@N }

Default Sony DVD-player DVP-NS905V

Hi,

I'm looking for info on Sony DVD-player DVP-NS905V which I'm thinking about
buying.
What are the positives and negatives with this player from an audio
perspective? One thing that I've
learned is that I cannot play DVD Audio. Should I view that as a serious
drawback? I'm not an expert in this field and do not want to but the "wrong"
player.
Thanks.
/Mag

Neil

"{ M@N }" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm looking for info on Sony DVD-player DVP-NS905V which I'm thinking about
buying.
What are the positives and negatives with this player from an audio
perspective?

Possible review sources (all dot coms):

ecoustics

epinions

audioreview

audiogon

circuitcity

amazon

soundandvisionmag

Also search newsgroups and web via Google.com.

Also:

consumerreports.org

One thing that I've
learned is that I cannot play DVD Audio. Should I view that as a serious
drawback?

Universal CD/SACD/DVD-Audio/DVD-Video players are coming. I think
Pioneer will have an affordable ($300 USD?) universal player this
year.

OTOH, how many SACDs and DVD-Audio discs do you own? I don't have any
and the sort of music I listen to isn't available on SACDs and
DVD-Audio discs. So I bought a Mintek 1600 DVD player for $50 which
suits my needs (namely, watching DVD movies).

BTW, as I understand it, DVD-Audio discs also contain the same music
on their normal DVD tracks, just not with the higher quality of
DVD-Audio. So if I had a DVD-Audio disc, I could play it in my Mintek,
I think.

I'm not an expert in this field and do not want to but the "wrong"
player.

The players are so cheap now that you could buy a cheap player now,
then upgrade later, if you feel the need.

Scattered around my home, I have some old CD players and that new,
cheap Mintek DVD player for watching movies. That's adequate for my
needs, given that I have no SACDs and/or DVD-Audio discs and don't
know of any I'd want to buy.

Thanks.
/Mag