Johnston West

Default Joss Stone ........."The Soul Sessions"

Did anyone hear the story on NPR about this 16 year old singer, who's
releasing a soul album with veteran R & B session players from the
Miami area...... The productions sounded fantastic. The most authentic
stuff I've heard in years. If this is the start of a new 'thang', I'm
jazzed! ......... Does anyone know anything about how and where these
sessions were done?

Here's the link to the story......
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1420309

"Joss Stone is 16, blond and British, but critics say she sings like a
southern soul veteran. For her first CD, The Soul Sessions, she
recorded with American R&B players in Miami. Jim Fusilli offers a
review."
Ricky W. Hunt

"Johnston West" wrote in message
om...
Did anyone hear the story on NPR about this 16 year old singer, who's
releasing a soul album with veteran R & B session players from the
Miami area...... The productions sounded fantastic. The most authentic
stuff I've heard in years. If this is the start of a new 'thang', I'm
jazzed!

It'll be the new thing for a few days and then they'll start putting out
canned, over-produced versions of it (with more "video friendly stars"
without any real talent in the genre) and everybody will hate it and we'll
be right back where we were are it. You cannot fake authentic soul in any
music. Country music is really bad about this. It turns into pop. A real
country singer ala Randy Travis comes along. Everybody loves it and gets
greedy. Then they try to "package" it and sell you other sound alike singers
and you're right back in the crapper.

Roger W. Norman

Yeah, this is the ****, Johnston. Again, thanks. Gives me hope for the
future of music. Watch the video. I'm going to see if I can put a
pre-release purchase in now with Amazon. We need a hell of a lot more music
like this.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Johnston West" wrote in message
om...
Did anyone hear the story on NPR about this 16 year old singer, who's
releasing a soul album with veteran R & B session players from the
Miami area...... The productions sounded fantastic. The most authentic
stuff I've heard in years. If this is the start of a new 'thang', I'm
jazzed! ......... Does anyone know anything about how and where these
sessions were done?

Here's the link to the story......
http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1420309

"Joss Stone is 16, blond and British, but critics say she sings like a
southern soul veteran. For her first CD, The Soul Sessions, she
recorded with American R&B players in Miami. Jim Fusilli offers a
review."

Johnston West

"Roger W. Norman" wrote in message ...
Yeah, this is the ****, Johnston. Again, thanks. Gives me hope for the
future of music. Watch the video. I'm going to see if I can put a
pre-release purchase in now with Amazon. We need a hell of a lot more music
like this.

Thanks for the Video Link Roger! ........Gives a lot of insight into
these fine sessions. Joss Stone sounds great, though her phrasing is
still a bit "modern" for my tastes on these soulful tracks, but not
bad for 16? Time will tell.... But she's standing next to the right
people, like the "Clean-Up Woman" herself, Betty Wright.

But what really knocks me out are these rhythm tracks. Some of the
best Classic R & B stuff I've heard in many years. These players are
legends and though I haven't heard the CD, the recordings really seem
to have an authentic flavor, (though still maybe a little bit too
crispy?)

Can't wait to get a copy of this, and I hope this record get's lots of
recognition...... And I hope the youngsters catch on to this very hip
sound. This late '60s and '70s Southern Soul Sound is the best dance
music Ever, in my humble opinon.

J_West
Garry Smith

[...]

Jeeeesus! She's from my country and I've never heard of her. This gave
me the chills like I've not had in a long time. I WANT THIS RECORD!!!!
I think we owe it to ourselves and the world to tell as many groups and
individuals about this girl as possible. Demonstrate the power of the
internet 'cos sure as **** smells, she's not going to get the same level of
promotion as some bimbo (of either sex) from Pop Idol.