Mike

Default Surround Sound for $2,000 ??

I have been all over town looking for a surround sound system for
approximately $2,000. Would anyone here like to give me any pointers
and or direction to head in? I have found the people here are just
not all that knowing and would hope someone on this group could help
me out.

Thanks in advance.

Harry Lavo

"Mike" wrote in message
I have been all over town looking for a surround sound system for
approximately $2,000. Would anyone here like to give me any pointers
and or direction to head in? I have found the people here are just
not all that knowing and would hope someone on this group could help
me out.

Thanks in advance.

I'll take a crack.

Buy a low end SONY DVD/SACD player (single or multiple play, take your
choice)
Buy the low end NAD A/V receiver
Reserve $100 for Radio Shack interconnects and 12 gauge speaker cables
Spend all the remainder on PSB spekers...probably four Atoms, a center, and
a subwoofer.

You'll have a balanced, musical system that will allow you to buy high-res
disks as well as cd's. The system will also comport itself well on
DVD-video films.

Uptown Audio

Alphas?
I'd second that but also would consider Samsung DVD and Tannoy
speakers to be greater values.
- Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

From: "Harry Lavo"

Spend all the remainder on PSB spekers...probably four Atoms

Atoms are made by that *other* Canadian speaker company. Which did

you mean?

Bruce Abrams

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote in message
I have been all over town looking for a surround sound system for
approximately $2,000. Would anyone here like to give me any pointers
and or direction to head in? I have found the people here are just
not all that knowing and would hope someone on this group could help
me out.

Thanks in advance.

I'll take a crack.

Buy a low end SONY DVD/SACD player (single or multiple play, take your
choice)
Buy the low end NAD A/V receiver
Reserve $100 for Radio Shack interconnects and 12 gauge speaker cables
Spend all the remainder on PSB spekers...probably four Atoms, a center,

and
a subwoofer.

I think you mean Paradigm Atoms. For my money, though, I just purchased a
pair of the Titans, finding them to be a better speaker all around at
virtually the same price.

Harry Lavo

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. What I meant to say and botched, was, start with the Atom system.
Then if their is money left over, move up the line to buy the best you can
afford. Somehow in my rush to hit the send button I forgot this little
detail. :-(
Rich Peet

I assume you mean playback and not record.
Dolby gets in the way in keeping recording under $2,000.
Playback is easy in high-end for under $2,000.

You need to decide which formats you are willing to support. The industry
has been really screwed up in recent years and that is not going to be
sorted out for a couple years more. Without DVD-A or SACD you can get a
good DVD player under $100 new. Now you have to decide what those other two
are worth to you. My guess is sacd will die and right now you can live
without either. Putting my neck on the line I say in the end "there can be
only one" and it won't be DVD-V and a new format is yet to come without
royalty gouging.

Match your best pair of stereo speakers with another pair of them and just
buy a center of similar quality of sound and this means you are aiming at
5.1 as a main target. Sub can be added anytime later and because of the
current edit techniques are fairly weak it does not have to be done right
away. Get ready to warn the wife that more dynamic range is used in
surround right now than pop and that you are not blasting the house.

For an amp go and listen. There is a huge difference in quality and it has
nothing to do with name or price. No clear endorsement by me but I do feel
it is the hardest choice. Make sure that "bypass" back to stereo is easily
accessed. You will figure out when you need that, and you will.

Rich