Posted to rec.audio.pro
RSS

Default Microphone for recording vocals and acoustic guitar, $200 or less?

Hi-

I've read a bunch on this, and there's obviously a million opinions, and
I know that you really need to try it to know if you like it. But I
want to ask a question in a way that maybe you'll steer me.

I've just started up my home studio. Presently my microphones are an
Audix OM-5 and a Shure SM-58, both of which were purchased for live
performance. I'm recording through an M-Audio Delta 1010LT. For
preamps, I've got the ones built into the 1010LT and I've also got an
ART Tube MP. I want the microphone for recording mainly vocals, but
also some acoustic guitar. It's remotely possible that I might mic one
of my amps someday, though at the moment, I've been very pleased using
the POD XL for guitars.

I've read good things about the Studio Projects B1 and C1... and people
here speak well of the AT 2020.

Here's the question:

If I'm going to buy one or two microphones for some variety, what would
be good options in the $100-$200 price range that would offer quality
AND a fair difference in tonal quality between the two?

To give you an idea of the type of sounds I like, Aimee Mann would fall
at one end of the spectrum of recorded vocal tones (very smooth, clear
tones), and The Eels would fall at another end (a bit forward and
present, but also very defined low end, sometimes even a bit overdriven
sounding). I realize there's a lot more going into the recording of
those voices than just the microphone, but maybe that gives you a
ballpark... my voice is high tenor.

Thanks.
Bob
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar

the audio techinca kit that includes a 2020 plus a small diaphragm
whose number i cannot recall has been getting some good comments around
here. And it's cheap. Lose the tube mp.

Nate

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RSS

Nate Najar wrote:
the audio techinca kit that includes a 2020 plus a small diaphragm
whose number i cannot recall has been getting some good comments around
here. And it's cheap. Lose the tube mp.

Nate

Thanks for the suggestion. With respect to the Tube MP, I'd need to buy
another preamp to deliver phantom power - I'm pretty sure the built-in
preamps in the 1010LT do not have phantom power... So that'd be another
investment.

Are you saying to lose the Tube MP because it's really bad?

Thanks again.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JoyJAG

Hi - I saw your post & thought I would let you know I have a
special-purpose mic for accoustic guitar to sell - from our studio
closing (JAG Studio, Raleigh NC). It is an AKG model C419 with case, 2
years old in excellent condition. This mic is specifically for placing
INSIDE the hole of an accoustic guitar or inside the bell of a horn.
If you are interested, I am selling this to "Best Offer" & you can
email me:

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey

RSS wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. With respect to the Tube MP, I'd need to buy
another preamp to deliver phantom power - I'm pretty sure the built-in
preamps in the 1010LT do not have phantom power... So that'd be another
investment.

So spend $50 for an outboard phantom supply. Or just use only dynamic
mikes for a while.

Are you saying to lose the Tube MP because it's really bad?

He probably is. It is really bad. Do a quick comparison with the internal
preamps and see which one you like best.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"RSS" wrote in message

I've just started up my home studio. Presently my
microphones are an Audix OM-5 and a Shure SM-58, both of
which were purchased for live performance.

I favor the OM-5 much more than the SM-58, based on owning a number of each.

I'm recording
through an M-Audio Delta 1010LT. For preamps, I've got
the ones built into the 1010LT

I own 2 1010LTs - there is no phantom power on those 2 mic inputs. Of course
that is not a problem with the two mics you have.

and I've also got an ART Tube MP.

Yecch.

I want the microphone for recording mainly
vocals, but also some acoustic guitar.

You've got at least one good vocal mic - the OM5. It would be fine unless
you have some problem with it.

It's remotely possible that I might mic one of my amps someday, though
at the moment, I've been very pleased using the POD XL for guitars.

Last time I micd a guitar amp I used a MXL603 - that recording has received
some pretty high praise from some picky people.

I've read good things about the Studio Projects B1 and
C1... and people here speak well of the AT 2020.

I don't have any experience with either - so many mics, so many other better
things to do!

Here's the question:

If I'm going to buy one or two microphones for some
variety, what would be good options in the $100-$200
price range that would offer quality AND a fair
difference in tonal quality between the two?

If you don't like your OM5, don't hold that against Audix. The OM6 is an
even nicer mic among dynamics vocal and general purpose mics.

From what I've heard the AT2020 would be a good choice for you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar

"Are you saying to lose the Tube MP because it's really bad?"

Yes that's what I'm saying. I bought one when they first came out and
I had even less experience than I do now. I couldn't understand why
anything I plugged into it came out sounding like mush. These days I
know why- it's a piece of junk- but back then I thought "well it's a
dedicated toob preamp, it's supposed to be good. Do I need to change
the toob?" So get yourself a dedicated phantom power supply, or just
use your dynamic mics until you get up the money to buy something like
an rnp. I was just thinking, you can use your OM5 for vocals and get
an oktava mc012 from the sound room with all three capsules for like
$175. You can use that for guitar and other instruments, amps, etc...
and with a pop filter you *can* use it on voice too. So I would
consider either that or the AT bundle.

Nate

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RSS

Nate Najar wrote:
[...]

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't *pay* for the Tube MP It
came bundled with my OM-5, for pretty much the same price that the OM-5
usually sells by itself (making one wonder if perhaps the Tube MP is
actually worth exactly zero dollars!)

I've only tried recording with the Tube MP for vocals so far, and I was
very underwhelmed with how my vocals sounded, but was thinking it might
be the microphone - so now I'll go back and rerecord using the Delta
1010LT's built-in preamp. Hopefully they sound better.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

The OM5 is a good decent mic.

I would buy an AKG C535 and a phantom power supply, rather than put it
through the ART. The AKG is good for guitar and vocals, a very
versatile mic.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86

RSS wrote:

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't *pay* for the Tube MP It
came bundled with my OM-5, for pretty much the same price that the OM-5
usually sells by itself (making one wonder if perhaps the Tube MP is
actually worth exactly zero dollars!)

Well, since the OM5 is a damn fine microphone, you did OK. The ART isn't
totally useless (try it as a Di for bass), it just isn't a real tube mic
preamp. It's really only barely a mic preamp at all.

I've only tried recording with the Tube MP for vocals so far, and I was
very underwhelmed with how my vocals sounded, but was thinking it might
be the microphone

Nope, It ain't the microphone.

- so now I'll go back and rerecord using the Delta
1010LT's built-in preamp. Hopefully they sound better.

You won't know until you try. My suspicion is you'll like it better.

good luck

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Engnrguy

I like the OM-5 for live performances. I get alot more gain before
feedback. I haven't used it in the studio.

I LOVE my AT2020's. I have used them for acoustic guitars, vocals, drum
micing, and stereo room mics and they sound great. I recommend checking
them out if your looking for sub $200 mics. I have also heard the
Studio projects mic are pretty good but I have never tried them.

If you need an outboard pre and really can't spend alot check out the
VTB-1 and the RNP. The RNP is a little more than the VTB-1 but if you
can wait, save up for it. I DO love my VTB-1 though. I have used it
when micing a Djembe, acoustic guitars, drums, and vocals. (I have used
it in conunction with the AT2020's, SM58, SM57, and a couple of
different AKG dynamics) It sounds great for the price.

Ebay the Tube MP and put the money toward one of the above Pre's.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RSS

You won't know until you try. My suspicion is you'll like it better.

good luck

Your suspicion is correct. The vocals sounded WAY better with the
internal preamps. Someone had described that Tube MP as sounding like
you put a large blanket over the microphone, and that's a pretty apt
analogy. I still might upgrade to something like the M-Audio DMP-3
though, since I'll need something to provide phantom power to a
condenser mic anyway - probably worth the extra money to get a better
preamp.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"RSS" wrote in message

You won't know until you try. My suspicion is you'll like it better.

good luck

Your suspicion is correct. The vocals sounded WAY better with the
internal preamps. Someone had described that Tube MP as sounding like
you put a large blanket over the microphone, and that's a pretty apt
analogy. I still might upgrade to something like the M-Audio DMP-3
though, since I'll need something to provide phantom power to a
condenser mic anyway - probably worth the extra money to get a better
preamp.

Try before you buy; if the DMP-3 is the same caliber as the one you already
have, you could save some money and just get a standalone phantom supply.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86

Paul Stamler wrote:

Try before you buy; if the DMP-3 is the same caliber as the one you
already have, you could save some money and just get a standalone phantom
supply.

And don't forget the Behringer UB802. It's still in the same league, but
it's only $50 for 2 preamps with 48v phantom plus you get a mixer (of
sorts), which is never a bad thing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RSS

Agent 86 wrote:
Paul Stamler wrote:

Try before you buy; if the DMP-3 is the same caliber as the one you
already have, you could save some money and just get a standalone phantom
supply.

And don't forget the Behringer UB802. It's still in the same league, but
it's only $50 for 2 preamps with 48v phantom plus you get a mixer (of
sorts), which is never a bad thing.

The concept of try-before-buy is a nice one, however not particularly
practical. The only way I'm going to know if either of those is better
than the internal preamps on my 1010LT is if I connect the preamp and do
an A/B comparison.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Agent 86

RSS wrote:

Agent 86 wrote:
Paul Stamler wrote:

Try before you buy; if the DMP-3 is the same caliber as the one you
already have, you could save some money and just get a standalone
phantom supply.

And don't forget the Behringer UB802. It's still in the same league, but
it's only $50 for 2 preamps with 48v phantom plus you get a mixer (of
sorts), which is never a bad thing.

The concept of try-before-buy is a nice one, however not particularly
practical. The only way I'm going to know if either of those is better
than the internal preamps on my 1010LT is if I connect the preamp and do
an A/B comparison.

I just realized I misread Paul's post. He said "If the DMP-3 is the same
caliber...". I missed the "If". I'll save you some trouble WRT the UB802.
It has decent preamps. I can't compare them to the 1010 or the DMP-3 'cause
I haven't used those, but they're decent, and you could easily pay more
than $50 for just a 2-channel phantom supply. The UB802 is low end, no
doubt. But on the low end, it's one of the best buys out there.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler

"RSS" wrote in message
Agent 86 wrote:
Paul Stamler wrote:

Try before you buy; if the DMP-3 is the same caliber as the one you
already have, you could save some money and just get a standalone

phantom
supply.

And don't forget the Behringer UB802. It's still in the same league,

but
it's only $50 for 2 preamps with 48v phantom plus you get a mixer (of
sorts), which is never a bad thing.

The concept of try-before-buy is a nice one, however not particularly
practical. The only way I'm going to know if either of those is better
than the internal preamps on my 1010LT is if I connect the preamp and do
an A/B comparison.

Right, so buy from a place with an ironclad money-back guarantee; if you
like the one you buy better than what's in the 1010LT, keep it, if not send
it back. You'll be out shipping and maybe a restocking fee, which isn't a
bad price for the chance to try something.

I raised the question because my impression is that M-Audio only makes one
basic preamp circuit, and puts it into every product they sell which
includes a preamp. If I'm correct, then the DMP-3 won't gain you anything
over the 1010LT except phantom, and you can buy that for less.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Nate Najar wrote:
the audio techinca kit that includes a 2020 plus a small diaphragm
whose number i cannot recall has been getting some good comments around
here. And it's cheap. Lose the tube mp.

Nate

I think they're great for the price , I've sold a few already and
people really like them.

One person in our area uses the Kit I sold him for his voice and
guitar doing live shows ( folk music)

http://www.bridgeclassicalguitars.co...-at2041sp.aspx

Ed Bridge
2890 N. Franklin st.
Christiansburg VA
24073
www.bridgekaldromusic.com
www.bridgeclassicalguitars.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

If you want to hear how the studio projects C1 sounds on guitar and
vocal, go visit my site at

http://www.gearaudition.com