Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Bose Noise Cancelling Headphone for live sound ?

Joe Kotroczo wrote:

"Phildo" wrote:
"Joe Kotroczo" wrote in message

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the "noise" you're trying to cancel the
very same thing that you're trying to record and listen too? (In the
theory at least). The idea seems absurd.

Not really. He's trying to do a separate mix from the FOH mix so the band
can listen to their performance.

Yes, I know.

But if these noise-cancelling gadgets were doing their trick perfectly, the
closer his Aux mix would come to the FOH mix, the less he would actually
hear.

Hey, that could lead to a novel way of mixing: you know that you've
perfectly recreated the FOH mix when your headphones are completely silent.
:-)

Personally I would get some proper isolating headphones. My DT150s are
excellent for that.

Absolutely. And if that's not enough, one could try these:
http://www.extremeheadphones.com/ex-29.html

The old Koss Pro-4's are very isolating too due to pure design, especially of the
ear cushion. There's a Chinese Company (Oritech ?) making a copy of the Mk2
version, I saw some when I was there. I asked for a sample but I never got
one. :-(

They're so good, the BBC even got them to make a genuine 600 ohm version.

They also reproduce bass like no other headphone. Turn it up too high and it'll
blow the cans off your ears ! Heavy to wear though and tight on the ears, so
extended use may be uncomfortable. I think Radio Shack may sell them.

Graham

INTENTIONALLY cross-posted to rec.audio.pro.

PA can STFU.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
John Connors John Connors is offline

On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 13:33:30 +0100, Eeyore wrote:

The old Koss Pro-4's are very isolating too due to pure design, especially of the
ear cushion. There's a Chinese Company (Oritech ?) making a copy of the Mk2
version, I saw some when I was there. I asked for a sample but I never got
one. :-(

They're so good, the BBC even got them to make a genuine 600 ohm version.

They also reproduce bass like no other headphone. Turn it up too high and it'll
blow the cans off your ears ! Heavy to wear though and tight on the ears, so
extended use may be uncomfortable. I think Radio Shack may sell them.

Graham

INTENTIONALLY cross-posted to rec.audio.pro.

PA can STFU.

Yea but the Koss Pro's are like wearing rocks on your ears.
Uncomfortable is an understatement
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Connors wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

The old Koss Pro-4's are very isolating too due to pure design, especially of the
ear cushion. There's a Chinese Company (Oritech ?) making a copy of the Mk2
version, I saw some when I was there. I asked for a sample but I never got
one. :-(

They're so good, the BBC even got them to make a genuine 600 ohm version.

They also reproduce bass like no other headphone. Turn it up too high and it'll
blow the cans off your ears ! Heavy to wear though and tight on the ears, so
extended use may be uncomfortable. I think Radio Shack may sell them.

Graham

INTENTIONALLY cross-posted to rec.audio.pro.

PA can STFU.

Yea but the Koss Pro's are like wearing rocks on your ears.
Uncomfortable is an understatement

I appreciate that but they're tolerable for an hour or so. PLUS they do *exactly* what
the OP wants.

I'm tempted to get a new pair (my old ones are nearly 40 yrs old and falling apart)
actually even though I rate my Beyer DT331s for casual use (open back).
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf...%5Efs%5EPRO4AA

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message
John Connors wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

Location Audio makes a set that are obviously patterned off the Pro 4AA's,
but with even thicker gel filled cups, using 7506 drivers. They are a
favorite among the ramps crowd for such occasions as carrier flight decks.

I have a pair, and as far as I can recall, they are more comfortable than
the okd Koss Pros, quite tolerable. They do have one very irritating
characteristic. Due to the very robust all metal cup pivots, they tend to
catch hair and pull it out by the roots

Interesting. Can you give a link ?

Grahaam

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

"Eeyore" wrote ...
Soundhaspriority wrote:
Location Audio makes a set that are obviously patterned off the Pro
4AA's,
but with even thicker gel filled cups, using 7506 drivers. They are a
favorite among the ramps crowd for such occasions as carrier flight
decks.

I have a pair, and as far as I can recall, they are more comfortable than
the okd Koss Pros, quite tolerable. They do have one very irritating
characteristic. Due to the very robust all metal cup pivots, they tend to
catch hair and pull it out by the roots

Interesting. Can you give a link ?

http://www.remoteaudio.com/high_noise_headset/

They are based on the David Clark ear protectors
http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/model10a.htm
with Sony MD-7506 drivers fitted inside.

David Clark also makes headphones and headsets in this
shell, but they tend to be communication-grade, not suitable
for quality audio monitoring.

I also have a pair of Koss Pro4AA and the RemoteAudio
seem a lot more like David Clark than like Koss.

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 16:24:10 -0400, Soundhaspriority wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in message

John Connors wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

Bob Morein
(310) 237-6511

I have the 4AA or possibly the 4AAA (did they make that one?) anyway, I
think the ones I have are gel filed ear pads.
They are original Koss circa 1977 or so but not the first model, they are
either the second or third generation.

I'd check on it only a friend borrowed them for a gig.

Personally they are industrial strength, but heavy and like I said before
they feel like rocks on my ears.

I think it depends upon how big one's ears are as to how much they hurt
smile!

They do sound great though!
Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Connors wrote:

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"Eeyore" wrote in message
John Connors wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

The Pro4s will do that too.

I have the 4AA or possibly the 4AAA (did they make that one?)

They did. In fact I remember now. Mine started off as 4As, blew the drivers ! Got
upgraded (for free) to AA drivers and finally to AAAs. In fact if I spent a
little time on them replacing the flexible cord and the screw mountings for the
drivers, they could be properly usable again.

anyway, I think the ones I have are gel filed ear pads.

Which *always* seem to 'seep away' somehow and need replacement every 5 or so
years. No different with the Beyers actually ! The foam goes on those. Probably
only a year left on the current ones which were my first replacement set. Beyer
UK sell them directly though.

They are original Koss circa 1977 or so but not the first model, they are
either the second or third generation.

I'd guess 4AAs. Might just be AAAs by then.

I'd check on it only a friend borrowed them for a gig.

Personally they are industrial strength, but heavy and like I said before
they feel like rocks on my ears.

I think it depends upon how big one's ears are as to how much they hurt
smile!

They do sound great though!

They sound astonishing.

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Eeyore wrote:

John Connors wrote:

snip
I have the 4AA or possibly the 4AAA (did they make that one?)

They did. In fact I remember now. Mine started off as 4As, blew the drivers ! Got
upgraded (for free) to AA drivers and finally to AAAs. In fact if I spent a
little time on them replacing the flexible cord and the screw mountings for the
drivers, they could be properly usable again.

I didn't think the AAA drivers would fit the AAs...different shape
earcup; but perhaps same inside. Mine are mint, since I packed them
away when the cushions went flat; and only pulled them out a few years
ago.

Koss used to be very good about upgrading to current spec, all the
components in any cans sent to them for repair.

anyway, I think the ones I have are gel filed ear pads.

Would be AA's, then. The AAA's had pneumatic cushions...much softer and
actually sealed better--more compliant--but probably didn't isolate any
better due to less density.

Which *always* seem to 'seep away' somehow and need replacement every 5 or so
years. No different with the Beyers actually ! The foam goes on those. Probably
only a year left on the current ones which were my first replacement set. Beyer
UK sell them directly though.

They are original Koss circa 1977 or so but not the first model, they are
either the second or third generation.

I'd guess 4AAs. Might just be AAAs by then.

For a while they sold both models, then just the AAA's, then dropped
both. I think I got mine around then. They revived the AA's, sans
grease, some years ago.

I'd check on it only a friend borrowed them for a gig.

Personally they are industrial strength, but heavy and like I said before
they feel like rocks on my ears.

Very soft rocks, but yes...rocks indeed. Like clamping your head in a vice.

I think it depends upon how big one's ears are as to how much they hurt
smile!

They do sound great though!

They sound astonishing.

I still like mine. That's why I had them retreaded...not to mention
$5.00 was much cheaper than buying a new set of phones.

I also have a set of high impedance K-141 AKGs that I like. No
isolation to speak of, but much more comfortable; and I like the sound.
They have foam cushions with a thin layer of leather-like vinyl--which
has peeled away leaving only the foam--still very comfortable.

jak

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro

Eeyore wrote:

John Connors wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

If you send them to Koss, they'll repair and upgrade to current spec for
a set fee...assuming they have the pieces/parts. They should still
stock Pro4AA stuff. Back in the 70's, when I was in consumer audio,
they'd replace everything that wasn't perfect...like getting a brand-new
set of cans.

jak

Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

jakdedert wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Connors wrote:

I have the 4AA or possibly the 4AAA (did they make that one?)

They did. In fact I remember now. Mine started off as 4As, blew the drivers ! Got
upgraded (for free) to AA drivers and finally to AAAs. In fact if I spent a
little time on them replacing the flexible cord and the screw mountings for the
drivers, they could be properly usable again.

I didn't think the AAA drivers would fit the AAs...different shape
earcup; but perhaps same inside.

They do fit in there but for proper fit of the earcups they need mild fettling with a
file.

Mine are mint, since I packed them
away when the cushions went flat; and only pulled them out a few years
ago.

Koss used to be very good about upgrading to current spec, all the
components in any cans sent to them for repair.

They were excellent and best of all for me, their office was in my home town. All you
had to do was walk or drive up there. I think they gave out new cushions for free too.

anyway, I think the ones I have are gel filed ear pads.

Would be AA's, then. The AAA's had pneumatic cushions...much softer and
actually sealed better--more compliant--but probably didn't isolate any
better due to less density.

Which *always* seem to 'seep away' somehow and need replacement every 5 or so
years. No different with the Beyers actually ! The foam goes on those. Probably
only a year left on the current ones which were my first replacement set. Beyer
UK sell them directly though.

They are original Koss circa 1977 or so but not the first model, they are
either the second or third generation.

I'd guess 4AAs. Might just be AAAs by then.

For a while they sold both models, then just the AAA's, then dropped
both. I think I got mine around then. They revived the AA's, sans
grease, some years ago.

I got a surprise when I was touring one of the the Oritech factories in China aboout
2001 and there were some 4AAs in full colour packaging in Q/A. That's where they're
made now. I did ask for a 'sample' but they never sent me one. :-(

I'd check on it only a friend borrowed them for a gig.

Personally they are industrial strength, but heavy and like I said before
they feel like rocks on my ears.

Very soft rocks, but yes...rocks indeed. Like clamping your head in a vice.

Almost exactly. But that's what keeps the sound out.

I think it depends upon how big one's ears are as to how much they hurt
smile!

They do sound great though!

They sound astonishing.

I still like mine. That's why I had them retreaded...not to mention
$5.00 was much cheaper than buying a new set of phones.

I also have a set of high impedance K-141 AKGs that I like. No
isolation to speak of, but much more comfortable; and I like the sound.
They have foam cushions with a thin layer of leather-like vinyl--which
has peeled away leaving only the foam--still very comfortable.

I use Beyer DT331s for everyday use. Never tried AKGs. always Beyers, even the horrid
DT100s.

Cheers, Graham

Posted to alt.audio.pro.live-sound,rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

jakdedert wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Connors wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

You're in the States though. I don't think Koss still have direct UK representation. It used
to be in my own town !

Graham

mariarayan mariarayan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Connors View Post

"Eeyore" wrote in message

John Connors wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

yeah i agree with you, they feel exactly like rocks on the ear!