Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] LeadMagnet69@googlemail.com is offline

Default Bose 601 v Mouse (as in rodent!)

I bought a pair of Bose 601 Series 3 speakers in 91' and they have
been one of the few "good buys" I've made in my life!

They have surrvied 3 children, 2 wives, 2 dogs, a cat and 9 house
moves (covering half the planet!).

But unfortunatley, they have succumed to a mouse!

My wife brought in a box a "stuff" (replace tuff with hit!) which was
the current residence for a mouse. Seems the mouse didn't like having
is house moved, so it decided to find a new one. In my speaker!

I heard something a couple times, but it didn't click something was
inside the damn thing. I should have turned the damn thing on, 1200
watts of Chemical Brothers should have scared it out, but I didn't.

Next morning, while enjoying my coffee, I hear nibbling. Go to the
speaker, knock on it and out comes Mr Mouse having just finished a
dinner of raw driver cone!

The mouse is no more, to say te least, priority one was to eliminate
with extreme prejudice! Which was fun!

But now I'm faced with repairing the damage.

There is a 2 x 3 cm hole at the very edge of the cone and into the
foam surround.

I have been trawling the net, looking for repair idea's and have
settled on 2 possible choices.

Choice 1 - Polyvynil Acetate soaked tissue paper. Three layers on each
side

Choice 2 - Fabric tape (to cover the hole) using a rubber sealant

The damage is not bad enough to warrant re-coning/re-foaming. So I
need something that will not adversely effect performance.

What do you think?

TIA

P.S. - The mouse only suffered for a second or two!
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Go to a store that sounds "quality" speakers.

Buy something else you like, from a different manufacturer.

You will be happier than you were with the Bose.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

On Jul 6, 10:00*am, "
wrote:
[...]

yeah the mouse did you a favor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Earl Kiosterud Earl Kiosterud is offline

wrote in message
I bought a pair of Bose 601 Series 3 speakers in 91' and they have
been one of the few "good buys" I've made in my life!

They have surrvied 3 children, 2 wives, 2 dogs, a cat and 9 house
moves (covering half the planet!).

But unfortunatley, they have succumed to a mouse!

Many have given you their sentiments about Bose, with which I agree -- it's always a strange
techno-babble kind of design with some nebulous appeal. You may find that other speakers
will satisfy you as much or more than the mouse-eaten ones you have (although I'd sure as
heck glue them back together -- it'll probably work fine).

But I must admit that their little Wave Radio, for its small size, doesn't sound bad at all,
even on local FM stations. Overpriced damn thing -- it's somewhere around $400 or $500, I
think. And that taller job, whose name I don't know, actually sounds quite good, size not
even withstanding. It's even more overpriced, at over $1000, accessories not included.
Not much stereo, as you'd expect for its speaker spread. This was all at a Bose demo a few
years ago, and it could, I suppose, have been faked, even the tuning across the FM dial, but
I don't think so.

I once took a lawyer client who'd had some kind of Bose speakers for many years to an audio
store, where they demo'd those tiny Bose wall speakers that work with a subwoofer --
"Acoustimass," or some such. The assistant played a nice little jazz quartet with alto sax,
bass, piano and drums through them. Then I asked him to switch to a larger more
standard-design good-quality floor speaker set and play the same music. This was all my
intent. Then the music just sounded much nicer and fuller. The lawyer turned to me with an
astonished look on his face. After the talk had died down, I asked the assistant to switch
back to the Bose speakers, and he started hemming and hawing and clearly didn't want to do
it.

It was a good day.
--
Earl

Posted to rec.audio.pro
No Name

EK- [Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:49:47 GMT]:
But I must admit that their little Wave Radio...
doesn't sound bad at all,

Surely I'm not on the internet anymore!

The only more amazing thing is so many (claim to)
have heard every Bose product ever made. The
last time I heard a Bose anything (in a non-live
venue) was decades ago. How so many can run into
so much Bose (and apparently take it personally)
is ... well, the internet for you. I have heard
601s, in the 70s! Before and since I've heard so
much worse, but then that's because MOST speakers
are worse. Given poor positioning or room
acoustics, all sound bad.

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
phantasm.40th.com - The finest sound in the world
Posted to rec.audio.pro
RDOGuy RDOGuy is offline

OP... opinion about Bose products aside, the easiest (and cheapest)
solution to your problem is to make the repair yourself (which will
probably work fine, providing you use care and common sense) or to
simply buy a replacement 601 woofer on eBay. eBay sellers sometimes
come home from their Saturday morning garage sales with some speakers
that aren't working 100%. When that happens, they often "part out"
the speakers... so it shouldn't be too hard to find a working 601
woofer - very likely for less cost than having it reconed by a local
professional.

That said... I would like to chime in on the Bose question. During my
(thankfully) brief career as a stereo salesman in 1978, I was always
astounded when customers would find the sound of Bose 901s preferable
to other designs in A/B listening tests. Indeed, their very drawbacks
(as perceived by the audio professionals who inhabit this NG) were
*sometimes* seen as virtues by consumers; the phase inaccuracies
generated by those 16 small drivers was perceived by some consumers as
additional "lifelike" ambience, and the small size of those drivers
did, in fact, give them a very "tight" sound. The problem, of course,
was that there was no real low end, and any audio engineer will tell
you that a speaker that requires an external equalizer just to get in
the ballpark (such as the 901) will never be preferable to a speaker
that doesn't need one.

So it's fair for audio professionals to be snooty about the 901,
because it really was snake oil. More traditional designs like the
301 and 601 did, in fact sound much better - although they, too,
relied on some of the Bose snake oil... just not as much. As to the
Wave Radio designs... I cannot say. I've never had my hands on one.
But since my prejuidice about Bose is built on the 901, it's hard for
me to expect that it's really a good piece of gear.

However... if you still like your 601s... by all means, get them
fixed, and continue to enjoy them.

And invest in some mouse traps.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Earl Kiosterud wrote:

But I must admit that their little Wave Radio, for its small size, doesn't sound bad at all,
even on local FM stations. Overpriced damn thing -- it's somewhere around $400 or $500, I
think. And that taller job, whose name I don't know, actually sounds quite good, size not
even withstanding. It's even more overpriced, at over $1000, accessories not included.
Not much stereo, as you'd expect for its speaker spread. This was all at a Bose demo a few
years ago, and it could, I suppose, have been faked, even the tuning across the FM dial, but
I don't think so.

The problem with the Wave Radio is that the huge lower midrange boost, which
exists to make you think it has bass, actually reduces intelligibility.

Take a Wave Radio in one room, then listen to it from the next room and see
how easy it is to understand a news broadcast. Try it again with a Tivoli
or GE Superradio or an old All-American Five, and you'll find it's a lot
easier to understand the words from the other room.

And that, frankly, is how most people use table radios.

I once took a lawyer client who'd had some kind of Bose speakers for many years to an audio
store, where they demo'd those tiny Bose wall speakers that work with a subwoofer --
"Acoustimass," or some such. The assistant played a nice little jazz quartet with alto sax,
bass, piano and drums through them. Then I asked him to switch to a larger more
standard-design good-quality floor speaker set and play the same music. This was all my
intent. Then the music just sounded much nicer and fuller. The lawyer turned to me with an
astonished look on his face. After the talk had died down, I asked the assistant to switch
back to the Bose speakers, and he started hemming and hawing and clearly didn't want to do
it.

The Acoustimass system has no midrange. It has bass and it has treble, and
there is a big hole in the middle. That's what you get if you want satellite
speakers that are tiny and easy to blend into your decor. The folks that
designed the Acoustimass took that as their design constraint.

Incidentally, the sales assistant is NOT supposed to allow doing that kind
of A-B test. It's specifically forbidden by the Bose dealer contract.
For the most part, the Bose speakers are very well designed, but their
design constraints don't involve sounding good.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
AJ AJ is offline

In article LI6ck.701$Ae3.6@trnddc05, says...
Many have given you their sentiments about Bose, with which I agree -- it's always a strange
techno-babble kind of design with some nebulous appeal.

Is Monster Cable owned by Bose... ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message ...

The Acoustimass system has no midrange. It has bass and it has treble, and
there is a big hole in the middle. That's what you get if you want satellite
speakers that are tiny and easy to blend into your decor. The folks that
designed the Acoustimass took that as their design constraint.

Incidentally, the sales assistant is NOT supposed to allow doing that kind
of A-B test. It's specifically forbidden by the Bose dealer contract.
For the most part, the Bose speakers are very well designed, but their
design constraints don't involve sounding good.

Well, I didn't say it was state-of-the-art. It just sounded surprisingly good for its size.
The larger one was a bit strong in the lower midrange, but not overwhelmingly so. I heard
them in a fairly large room, and didn't get that cheap upper-bass peak with no real bass
that's used in so many small systems. It wasn't one-note bass, for sure. I haven't heard
them in smaller rooms. No walls were close to them. There was no wall near the back to
muck up the midrange with reflected sound diffracted from the box. And no walls farther to
the side to cause peaks and holes in the bass. The ceiling was kind of high, and I think
was a drop ceiling of acoustic stuff. And maybe they did do some faking -- I wouldn't put
it past them. No one was sitting up close. I've not heard either model anywhere else.

The Acoustimass in the store incident certainly didn't have much midrange, and the
comparison with another set of speakers made that almost ridiculously obvious. Sounded a
bit like a PA system for a rock band. Damn funny that A-B'ing isn't allowed, per Bose! But
I'm not surprised.
--
Earl

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

wrote:

There is a 2 x 3 cm hole at the very edge of the cone and into the
foam surround.

I have been trawling the net, looking for repair idea's and have
settled on 2 possible choices.

Choice 1 - Polyvynil Acetate soaked tissue paper. Three layers on each
side

Choice 2 - Fabric tape (to cover the hole) using a rubber sealant

What about Choice 3 - Call Bose and order a replacement driver? I'll
refrain from commenting on your love of these speakers, but if they're
OK for you, there's no better way to restore one to its original sound
than to replace the damaged part. You'll probably find that a new driver
isn't that much more expensive than a reconing kit and will work better
than a home made patch. I had a Boston Acoustics speaker with a surround
that was so disintegrated that the spider could no longer keep it
centered. I was looking at replacement surround kits and reconing kits
(and services) and found that BA had the exact replacement speaker for
only about $10 more than I'd pay for a "learning experience" (and about
$20 less than a local shop with a good reputation wanted to re-cone it).
I bought a pair of new drivers so the speakers would again be matched,
and now have a spare to store until it decays to uselessness. I tend to
do things like that. g

Though given the speaker you're talking about, perhaps a patch, or even
a hole, won't really make that much difference. Oops! I said I wasn't
going to comment on the speaker.

The damage is not bad enough to warrant re-coning/re-foaming. So I
need something that will not adversely effect performance.

In that case, just leave it alone. Chances are a patch will affect
performance more than the hole. If there's a tear (which I wouldn't
expect from a mouse gnawing at it) you could fix that with a little
white glue (Elmer's) but don't agonize over what to patch the hole with.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

" wrote:

[...]

I want to hear the details !

Have you considered fitting almost any other driver that will fit the hole
? In all probability it will sound better.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Jul 6, 10:00*am, "
wrote:
[...]

Well - I think it's about $13 to replace - including shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-301-501-601...QQcmdZViewItem

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away... " Tom Waits

Posted to rec.audio.pro
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , WillStG wrote:
On Jul 6, 10:00=A0am, "
wrote:
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-301-501-601...NET-COVER-NEW=
_W0QQitemZ280205364228QQcmdZViewItem

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away... " Tom Waits

Well thats not a LF driver. How about a Bose replacement ?

As far as fixing try the doped paper routine and use silicon rtv where the foam
meets.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Jul 9, 10:25*am, (GregS) wrote:
Well thats not a LF driver. How about a Bose replacement ?

As far as fixing try the doped paper routine and use silicon rtv where the foam
meets.

greg

The woofers and tweeters are the same thing on my 800's. Ack.
They do sell replacement surrounds for the 601 though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSE-601-8-Speak...QQcmdZViewItem

Will Miho
NY TV/Audio Post/Music/Live Sound Guy

Will Miho
mariarayan mariarayan is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

i also agree that you better try another manufacturer, problem is people think Bose is the best when there are many better others!

Got a new mouse!!!! MOSFET Car Audio 8 August 30th 06 06:07 AM
Art, get a new mouse please! Sander deWaal Audio Opinions 7 August 24th 04 04:24 AM
FS: BLUE Mouse mic Cheapseller Pro Audio 0 August 16th 04 07:09 PM
USB 2.0 Mouse Matt Pro Audio 0 October 22nd 03 11:51 AM
for all geetah Rodent nutzs Choky Vacuum Tubes 3 September 10th 03 06:21 AM