Posted to rec.audio.tubes
RealRadioarmature RealRadioarmature is offline

Default Equivalent for EF86???

Hi,

Is there a near equivalent for EF86? It's a replacement for a ham radio
modulator but the EF86's cost more than the transmitter cost me.

Steve H

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

RealRadioarmature wrote:
Hi,

Is there a near equivalent for EF86? It's a replacement for a ham radio
modulator but the EF86's cost more than the transmitter cost me.

Steve H

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/tubes/ef86.htm

Shows a 6267.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/

AES Shows them for as little as $15.

Hope this helps.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

RealRadioarmature wrote:

Hi,

Is there a near equivalent for EF86? It's a replacement for a ham radio
modulator but the EF86's cost more than the transmitter cost me.

Steve H

New Sensor offers the Reflektor/Tung-Sol EF-806, a "premium" version.

I had a couple. Gold pins and all...and you know if you use
a tube with gold pins, you have my personal guarantee
that the sky *will* stay ****in' blue. Really. Anyway,
the geetah-******s I sent 'em to seemed to like 'em
fine. Damn near any EF86 is microphonic in a
geetah-amp - even the snob glass the audiophools
get all creamy over - but these seemed to be OK.
Should be all right for a modulator. I don't have any
right now, so you can't get 'em from me. I put a whole
pile of scratch into a large batch of the Reflektor/Tung-Sol
5881s, which are absolutely *killer* tubes for guitar
amps. I don't know what the audiophools think of 'em,
but the geetah-pickers are **** crazy for 'em.

And so am I. ;-)

Lord Valve
Expert

VISIT MY WEBSITE: http://www.nebsnow.com/LordValve
I specialize in top quality HAND SELECTED NOS and
current-production vacuum tubes for guitar and
bass amps. Good prices, fast service.
Authorized dealer for QSC amps, Sovtek/Electro-Harmonix,
Behringer, Hammond-Suzuki, Leslie, Rolls, many more!

- Partial Client List -
* Derek Trucks (Allman Brothers Band/Derek Trucks Band) *
* Meatloaf * Catherine Wheel * Yo La Tengo * Let's Go Bowling *
* Kofi Burbridge (DTB) * Tod Smallie (DTB) * Susan Tedeschi *
* Roy Pritts (former head, Audio Engineering Society) *
* Rob Hyckys (guitarist for Commander Cody) * Waky Amps *
* Jamie McLean (guitarist for the Dirty Dozen Brass Band) *
* John Pierce (bassist for Huey Lewis and the News) *
* Coco Montoya * Clint Black * Bill McKay * John Denver * Dick Dale *
* Fleetwood Mac * Tyrin Benoit * Eugene Fodor * Dale Bruning *
* Komet Amplification * Dr. Z * Maven Peal * Blockhead Amps *
* Jim Kelley * Balls Amplification * Roccaforte Amplifiers *
* Gerhart Amplification * Aiken Amplification * Germino Amplification *
* Lots More *

NBS Electronics, 230 South Broadway, Denver, CO 80209-1510
Phone orders/tech support after 1:30 PM Denver time at 303-778-1156

- Our 25th Year -

VISA - MASTERCARD - PAYPAL - DISCOVER

"It ain't braggin', if ya can do it." - Dizzy Dean

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

RealRadioarmature wrote:

Hi,

Is there a near equivalent for EF86? It's a replacement for a ham radio
modulator but the EF86's cost more than the transmitter cost me.

How much are they these days ?

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

RealRadioarmature wrote:

Hi,

Is there a near equivalent for EF86? It's a replacement for a ham radio
modulator but the EF86's cost more than the transmitter cost me.

http://search.ebay.co.uk/ef86_W0QQfromZR40

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal Sander deWaal is offline

"RealRadioarmature" said:

Hi,

Is there a near equivalent for EF86? It's a replacement for a ham radio
modulator but the EF86's cost more than the transmitter cost me.

E80F is said to be a replacement.

I have heaps of EF86s, if you're in the UK, I'm willing to send you
one without going bankrupt from shipping.

You have e- mail.

--
"Due knot trussed yore spell chequer two fined awl miss steaks."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bob H. Bob H. is offline

I use a pair of triode connected ef86's in my dynaco tube amp for the
VA stage. I took some time to swap my various sets. To me,
recent-make russian (svetlana/circle c) ef86's sound identical to
Mullards and Tele's. They all sound great for tube audio. And in
fact, I have left the russian ones in the amp for good.

Bob H.

Lord Valve wrote:
RealRadioarmature wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ned Carlson Ned Carlson is offline

RealRadioarmature wrote:
Hi,

Is there a near equivalent for EF86? It's a replacement for a ham radio
modulator but the EF86's cost more than the transmitter cost me.

Steve H

If you shop around you can find them pretty cheap.
http://tinyurl.com/m2da8

You could rewire it for a different pentode or
pentode-triode (just ground the unused elements)
or even a cascoded triode, if you want, but
overall it looks like the easiest and cheapest
thing to do is just get an EF86. They probably
used EF86 because as pentodes go it's got pretty
low noise & distortion.

--
Ned Carlson
SW side of Chicago, USA