Posted to rec.audio.car
Devin Dow Devin Dow is offline

Default Coil or Resistor to cut Engine Noise in one speaker (Dodge Magnum)

I have annoying Engine Noise in only ONE speaker in my Dodge Magnum.
The radio is the top, high power one, with GPS.

I've made many unsuccessful attempts to have my dealer deal with it, and
I refuse to take it back. During the last attempt, they joy-rided my
car for 80 miles on the odometer and ran out my gas, and when confronted
said sometimes that's necessary to find the problem. (Union Dodge,
Garden Grove, CA. Spread the word!)

I have disconnected that speaker, and my sanity has returned. I'd like
to do better... I'd like at least some sound to come out of that
speaker but less of the engine noise. I'm considering attenuating that
speaker with a Resistor or Power Attenuator OR Low-Pass filtering with a
Coil or Inductor or something.

Please help by suggesting solutions and values for the passives.

Devin Dow

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Devin Dow wrote:
I have annoying Engine Noise in only ONE speaker in my Dodge Magnum.
The radio is the top, high power one, with GPS.

I've made many unsuccessful attempts to have my dealer deal with it, and
I refuse to take it back. During the last attempt, they joy-rided my
car for 80 miles on the odometer and ran out my gas, and when confronted
said sometimes that's necessary to find the problem. (Union Dodge,
Garden Grove, CA. Spread the word!)

I have disconnected that speaker, and my sanity has returned. I'd like
to do better... I'd like at least some sound to come out of that
speaker but less of the engine noise. I'm considering attenuating that
speaker with a Resistor or Power Attenuator OR Low-Pass filtering with a
Coil or Inductor or something.

Please help by suggesting solutions and values for the passives.

there is no telling exactly how the circuit is wired or opperating. It
might use a separate driver, or a poor connection might actually
be causing it. My first thought is to try a ferrite core around the speaker
output, either near the speaker or near the amp. Try them both.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.
jsp?productId=2103222&cp=&sr=1&origkw=ferrite+core &kw=ferrite+core&parentPage=search

This should do something.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
g g is offline

On May 2, 3:37 pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article , Devin Dow wrote:
[...]

http://tinyurl.com/ywqh97

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article .com, g wrote:
On May 2, 3:37 pm, (GregS) wrote:
In article , Devin Dow

wrote:
[...]

Another possibility is faulty unit. It might just need replacement.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
Devin Dow Devin Dow is offline

You're really going to laugh:
I "Attenuated" or "Low-Pass Filtered" that speaker by covering it with a
piece of foam, and it works great with no real side-effects!

I was fairly happy simply disconnecting the speaker to eliminate the
engine noise that drove me insane sometimes, but I couldn't help feeling
that that wasn't good enough even though I didn't really notice less
sound since it was the back-right speaker.

Now the engine noise is imperceptible, but most of the sound comes through.

While I was in there, I added some speakerbox insulation to the
enclosure... It's never sounded so good!

Today is a good day. F-You Union Dodge of Garbage Grove!

Devin

Devin Dow wrote:
I have annoying Engine Noise in only ONE speaker in my Dodge Magnum. The
radio is the top, high power one, with GPS.

I've made many unsuccessful attempts to have my dealer deal with it, and
I refuse to take it back. During the last attempt, they joy-rided my
car for 80 miles on the odometer and ran out my gas, and when confronted
said sometimes that's necessary to find the problem. (Union Dodge,
Garden Grove, CA. Spread the word!)

I have disconnected that speaker, and my sanity has returned. I'd like
to do better... I'd like at least some sound to come out of that
speaker but less of the engine noise. I'm considering attenuating that
speaker with a Resistor or Power Attenuator OR Low-Pass filtering with a
Coil or Inductor or something.

Please help by suggesting solutions and values for the passives.

Devin Dow

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Devin Dow wrote:
You're really going to laugh:
I "Attenuated" or "Low-Pass Filtered" that speaker by covering it with a
piece of foam, and it works great with no real side-effects!

I was fairly happy simply disconnecting the speaker to eliminate the
engine noise that drove me insane sometimes, but I couldn't help feeling
that that wasn't good enough even though I didn't really notice less
sound since it was the back-right speaker.

Now the engine noise is imperceptible, but most of the sound comes through.

While I was in there, I added some speakerbox insulation to the
enclosure... It's never sounded so good!

Most any enclosure that does not have stuffing will sound better stuffed,
mostly dealing with midrange. Without stuffing, it sounds like a box without stuffing.
I even put stuff inside those foam inserts.

Another problem with most interiors,its too bouncy. It is possible to provide some
counter measures, but can be difficult. Cloth seats are a big plus.

greg