Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jay Stevens Jay Stevens is offline

Default Wireless Lav Mics

Hi,
I need to buy two lav mic kits. Mics with receivers and transmitters,,,
cheap!

I was thinking about this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
or something cheaper.

This is for audio/video gig.

Could you please suggest something or direct me elsewhere if this is no
good?

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Feb 26, 11:08 am, "Jay Stevens" wrote:

I need to buy two lav mic kits. Mics with receivers and transmitters,,,
cheap!

This is for audio/video gig.

Will it be in the middle of a forest, miles away from anything
electronic (including power lines)? If not, don't buy cheap wireless
mics. Otherwise you might find yourself recording things other than
what you planned.

You could get lucky, but don't depend on it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
"Jay Stevens"wrote:

I need to buy two lav mic kits. Mics with receivers and transmitters,,,
cheap!

This is for audio/video gig.

Will it be in the middle of a forest, miles away from anything
electronic (including power lines)? If not, don't buy cheap wireless
mics. Otherwise you might find yourself recording things other than
what you planned.

You could get lucky, but don't depend on it.

I'm using my wireless mics less these days because of
cell-phone interference.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising Roy W. Rising is offline

"Jay Stevens" wrote:
Hi,
I need to buy two lav mic kits. Mics with receivers and transmitters,,,
cheap!

I was thinking about this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...details&Q=&sku
=324242&is=REG&addedTroughType=search or something cheaper.

This is for audio/video gig.

Could you please suggest something or direct me elsewhere if this is no
good?

Thanks

For about 50 years, Sennheiser always has made the best RF mic systems.
You can get a Sennheiser UHF True Diversity frequency-agile system for a
reasonable price, giving you channel flexibility and superb quality.

F.Y.I. ~ A "lavalier" is a "necklace". The word "lapel" is more useful.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"Jay Stevens" wrote in message
Hi,
I need to buy two lav mic kits. Mics with receivers and transmitters,,,
cheap!

I was thinking about this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
or something cheaper.

This is for audio/video gig.

Could you please suggest something or direct me elsewhere if this is no
good?

Thanks

The Sennheiser Evolution G2 100 microphone systems are thought of by many as
the best of the lower priced wireless. They can be purchased in several
different frequency blocks, which helps to minimize interference from other
rf services. (Go to the Sennheiser web site for guidance.) Within the block
the units are frequency agile. A frequency can be chosen to get around
locally interfering signals much of the time. I have two of these and they
perform well in Chicago, a difficult RF environment. I have yet to
encounter a situation, where I could not find a usable frequency. Maybe
I've been lucky. As another poster suggested, cell phones can interfere.
Often the only way to remove that interference is to turn off cell phones in
the vicinity. I've also encountered cell phone interference with Lectros
and Audio Limited wireless systems, which cost much more than the
Sennheisers. I think for your application you've made a good choice.

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Steve King" wrote ...
[...]

Indeed. I didn't mean to imply that the Sennheiser was any more
susceptible to cell-phone interference than other analog wireless
mics. The Bruup-Bruup-Bruup burst transmissions from them is
not that different from the kind of signals the USSR and other
Eastern Bloc countries used to use for jamming western short-
wave broadcasts, etc.

I agree that the Sennheiser Evolution series is the one most
mentioned as being decent in the low-price area. Consensus
seems to be that anything that costs less than that is a cheap
plastic toy and a poor investment.

But the people who do high-stakes wireless (like the people
over on the film sound newsgroup who do feature films, etc
news:rec.arts.movies.produciton.sound) seem to think that
brands like Lectrosonics analog systems (which cost 3-4x
more) are the "workhorse of the industry" and the "high-end"
are the digitial systems from Zaxcom, Lectro, etc.

I'm not in that league, but in someting inbetween. I have
several ~$800 Sony wireless systems that I like (except for
the cell-phone interference).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
Jay Stevens wrote:
Hi,
I need to buy two lav mic kits. Mics with receivers and transmitters,,,
cheap!

I was thinking about this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search
or something cheaper.

This is for audio/video gig.

Could you please suggest something or direct me elsewhere if this is no
good?

This is basically the minimally acceptable wireless rig. It ain't no
Lectrosonics, but it will probably work for noncritical applications, and
it's pretty inexpensive.

Before you buy it, of course, MAKE SURE that the channel bank you order
has frequencies that are usable in your area AND that those frequencies
will continue to be usable even after the change in TV station allocations.
The Sennheiser web site should have some info on the TV band plan changes.

Valid to conclude noise is from mics? HiC Pro Audio 19 February 9th 07 01:34 PM
Recording Drums Matrixmusic Pro Audio 10 February 12th 05 03:23 AM
Small, wireless stereo mics? [email protected] General 16 July 1st 04 09:32 AM
Condenser mics Matthew Coffay Pro Audio 44 May 23rd 04 05:43 AM
Condenser mics Matthew Coffay Pro Audio 0 May 15th 04 10:08 PM