Ricky W. Hunt

Default Sound on Soundstage

I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this bad?
They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of a
Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
muddy.

--
Thanks,
Ricky W. Hunt

Don Cooper

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote:

I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this bad?
They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of a
Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
muddy.

I saw that the other night, and I agree. Although we know these guys are
great musicians, there's something about the mix, or their arrangements,
that doesn't blend too well, especially on those acoustic tunes.

And I thought the "unplugged" thing was over for now.
Andy

"Don Cooper" wrote in message

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote:

I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this
bad?
They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner
of a
Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
muddy.

I saw that the other night, and I agree. Although we know these guys are
great musicians, there's something about the mix, or their arrangements,
that doesn't blend too well, especially on those acoustic tunes.

And I thought the "unplugged" thing was over for now.

I tried to watch and enjoy their Soundstage show some the other night and it
was just as muddy as it was when I saw them live in 1979...

I'm guessing Yes is simply a better studio band?

Dunno...

Andy

Ricky W. Hunt

"Andy" wrote in message

I'm guessing Yes is simply a better studio band?

I definitely didn't feel their chops were what they were in their prime (but
whose are?). But "Yes" has done some great sounding live recordings. I'm
betting it's "Soundstage". I saw Todd Rundgren awhile back and he had that
same awful sound and I think it was on Soundstage. That "full" acoustic
guitar just DOES NOT go over well on TV. Union Station (Alison Krauss' band)
pulls it off better than about anyone IMO.

mark

I saw Yes in Montreal in August of this year and some of their songs were
great others not so great. It's not like your going to see classically
trained musicians. After all its a rock band that has an elitist aura around
them - they are labeled as these musical virtuoso's. Which I think is a bit
exaggerated. Of all of them I think Rick Wakeman is the most talented
musician of the bunch. This doesn't take anything away from their creative
abilities as musicians. I enjoy their music and I think they are very
creative and stimulating musicians. But they are better as studio musicians
with the help of sound engineers. The live sound equipment they use is
probably not the best , they don't always give a great performance live,
maybe this has to do with not rehearsing with each other and partly due to
the type of music they play which is a little more demanding then your
regular rock for the fun it kind of music; also perhaps it wasn't recorded
properly with sources taken directly from the instruments and with mic's for
that live effect. I don't think they really gave a **** about how it sounded
live on record . After all would you if all you were playing was a bunch of
old songs you wrote long time ago and people kept asking you to play them
exactly the same way you played them 40 years ago. Also, the fact that you
were in your sixties and had only had a few good years left, wouldn't you
feel a bit like a circus act - which is probably how they feel. They are
really doing it for the money. Sure they have fun ****ing around on stage
and interacting with people, but in the end what it comes down to is the
money; they have bills to pay and a life they are accustomed to living.
Just kidding around a bit, though partly serious.
I don't mean to be so hard on them, I do like them.

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message
"Andy" wrote in message

I'm guessing Yes is simply a better studio band?

I definitely didn't feel their chops were what they were in their prime

(but
whose are?). But "Yes" has done some great sounding live recordings. I'm
betting it's "Soundstage". I saw Todd Rundgren awhile back and he had that
same awful sound and I think it was on Soundstage. That "full" acoustic
guitar just DOES NOT go over well on TV. Union Station (Alison Krauss'

band)
pulls it off better than about anyone IMO.

georgeh

"Ricky W. Hunt" writes:

I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this bad?
They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of a
Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
muddy.

Didn't see that one, but I caught Steve Winwood on Soundstage over
the weekend. He and the band were SO damned GOOD I didn't even notice
the sound quality.

Ricky W. Hunt

"georgeh" wrote in message
"Ricky W. Hunt" writes:

I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this
bad?
They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing "Owner of
Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT working). Very
muddy.

Didn't see that one, but I caught Steve Winwood on Soundstage over
the weekend. He and the band were SO damned GOOD I didn't even notice
the sound quality.

Was it an acoustic set? The two times I've noticed it was acoustic sets.

Don Cooper

georgeh wrote:

Didn't see that one, but I caught Steve Winwood on Soundstage over
the weekend. He and the band were SO damned GOOD I didn't even notice
the sound quality.

Steve was great on Austin City Limits, too. It was more of a Traffic
vibe than his MIDI'ed, triggered, 80's sound.
serious fun

Actually, the sound from KCET-HD, from my Comcast Motorola6208 HD DVR cable
box in DD2.0 to my Denon receiver decoded with Dolby ProLogic to my M&K
MPS2510 system sounded fabulous. Not muddy, very well mixed and transmitted.

I recorded the show on the DVR, and you're welcome to come over and
listen...

--
Doug Osborne

my day job: http://www.martinsound.com/

I'm watching "Yes" on Soundstage. Is the sound on this show always this
bad? They're trying an acoustic set (all the ORIGINAL members playing
"Owner of a Lonely Heart" on ACOUSTIC instruments and it's just NOT
working). Very muddy.

--
Thanks,
Ricky W. Hunt
freendeed

Ricky W. Hunt

"serious fun" wrote in message
Actually, the sound from KCET-HD, from my Comcast Motorola6208 HD DVR
cable box in DD2.0 to my Denon receiver decoded with Dolby ProLogic to my
M&K MPS2510 system sounded fabulous. Not muddy, very well mixed and
transmitted.

I recorded the show on the DVR, and you're welcome to come over and
listen...

Maybe it's my (admittedly cheap) subwoofer on my TV setup.