pigonthewing

Default Use Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter to Power a MP3 Player?

The plug in back is probably running off of an AC converter, so you can
use a laptop or something on the road (at 110-120v). The cigarette
lighter is only running at 12v. What's more, the wires they used to
power the cigarette adapter may not be large enough gauge to support
higher-drain devices. But an iPod? I think you'll be ok.

--
pigonthewing
pigonthewing's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=24859

Jay Chan

I plan to get a MP3 player (one of those that has a 20GB hard disk) to
send music to my car radio. I would like to use a car-power-adapter to
power the MP3 player. My 1996 PathFinder has two outlets: (1) The
first one is in the front that is for a cigarette lighter (2) The
second one is at the back of the front seat that is called a power
outlet.

The problem is that the manual said that the one in the front is only
for cigarette lighter and is not meant to be used to power an
electronic device, and it said that we should use the one at the back
to power electronic devices. But the one in the front is a more
convenient location for placing the base-station of the MP3 player
than the one at the back. For example, if I get an iPod, they sell a
base-station for iPod that plugs directly into the outlet in the front
and can charge the iPod, keep it in stationary position, and I can
view the iPod screen easily. Seem like the one in the front is a
better position for a MP3 player.

I thought the difference between those two outlets may have to do with
one outlet may have power after the car is turned off, and the other
outlet may not. But this is not the case because both outlets are
dead when I turn off the power of the car.

My questions a
- Can we use the outlet in the front despite what the manual said?
- How's come there are two different types of outlets? What makes
them different anyway?
- Is the can instruction manual just overly cautious?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

The plug in back is probably running off of an AC converter, so you can
use a laptop or something on the road (at 110-120v). The cigarette
lighter is only running at 12v.

This is probably not the case because the power in the front and in
the back seem to be the same. I say this based on the fact that I can
use the same car-power-adapter to recharge my cell phone in both
outlets.

What's more, the wires they used to power the cigarette adapter may
not be large enough gauge to support higher-drain devices. But an iPod?
I think you'll be ok.

Great!!! This is exactly what I love to hear. Thanks.

Seem like an iPod and an iPod car-kit will be my birthday gift.

Jay Chan
Scott Johnson

"pigonthewing" wrote in
message news

The plug in back is probably running off of an AC converter, so you can
use a laptop or something on the road (at 110-120v). The cigarette
lighter is only running at 12v. What's more, the wires they used to
power the cigarette adapter may not be large enough gauge to support
higher-drain devices. But an iPod? I think you'll be ok.

I've seen this additional 12v outlet on a few SUV's lately. I'm thinking it
being usefull for inflating tires, toys, etc with a small compressor. some
small compressors are really stretched to reach a back tire when plugged
into the dash outlet.

Jay Chan

I've seen this additional 12v outlet on a few SUV's lately. I'm thinking it
being usefull for inflating tires, toys, etc with a small compressor. some
small compressors are really stretched to reach a back tire when plugged
into the dash outlet.

Yes, I can understand the need to have a power outlet near the rear of
a car. But what I was questioning is about what the instruction manual
said. It said that we should plug electrical device to the power
outlet at the back, and only use the one in the front for cigarette
lighter. That was what is causing the confusion.

I think I should call the car dealership to ask. I always have my car
serviced in their shop; I think they should be able to set me
straight.

Thanks.

Jay Chan

pigonthewing

Jay Chan Wrote:
I've seen this additional 12v outlet on a few SUV's lately. I'm

thinking it
being usefull for inflating tires, toys, etc with a small compressor.

some
small compressors are really stretched to reach a back tire when

plugged
into the dash outlet.

..was that from this thread?

--
pigonthewing
pigonthewing's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=24859
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=196729
1

Jay Chan

I called the car dealership. They said this is OK to use the outlet in
the front to do things like charging the cell phone. I think I will be
fine using it to play/charge a MP3 player.

Thanks.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

I've seen this additional 12v outlet on a few SUV's lately.
I'm thinking it being usefull for inflating tires, toys, etc
with a small compressor. some small compressors are really
stretched to reach a back tire when plugged into the dash
outlet.

.was that from this thread?

Yes, I was quoting what Scott Johnson said in one of the message in
this thread. You meant you didn't see his message? May be you have put
his name in the kill-file?

Jay Chan