John Noll

Default Pioneer RT-707 (RT707) reel to reel parts

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Weird. Around here, the A-77 was worth more used than the B-77 was, because
the B-77 was prone to failure of the pushbutton assembly which basically
rendered the machine worthless since the replacement parts cost far more
than the machine.

And the PR-99 is a real sleeper because nobody seems to have a clue what
it really is. The PR-99 sells for less than the B-77 for the most part.
--scott

And I've seen B67's selling for less than PR99's. Even
more weird.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

http://www.retromedia.net

Marc Wielage

On Mar 16, 2005, Scott Dorsey commented:

Very weird. Around here, quarter track machines are thick on the ground
and you can't give them away. I sold my last A-77 (with a rackmount flange)
for around $100 not too long ago.

Speaking of the A77, I just watched the biopic BEYOND THE SEA, about the life
of Bobby Darin, and was appalled to see them using a Revox B77 in several
scenes where they needed a reel-to-reel deck in the shot. You saw the same
machine in Darin's house, at a recording studio, and I think again at a
broadcast station... and this was supposed to be the 1960s. Yeah, right.

They did at least get the microphones right most of the time.

--MFW