Norm Dresner

Default Seeking "circuits" for DIY suround-sound

I'm trying to find some circuits that I could build to implement a
suround-sound system to compare it to a more tranditional one. While I'm
capable of building and programming a DSP-based system, that's not exactly
what I had in mind -- and most of the algorithms that commercial vendors use
are proprietary anyway. All URL's and references to books and magazines
gratefully accepted.

Norm
Steve P.

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message ...
I'm trying to find some circuits that I could build to implement a
suround-sound system to compare it to a more tranditional one. While I'm
capable of building and programming a DSP-based system, that's not exactly
what I had in mind -- and most of the algorithms that commercial vendors use
are proprietary anyway. All URL's and references to books and magazines
gratefully accepted.

Norm

Most surround systems rely, at least to some degree, on crossfeed
circuits (or algorithms). Headwize has a few circuits in their
library. Try browsing around http://www.headwize.com. If you can't
find what you're looking for, let me know and I'll provide a couple of
circuits via email.
Steve P.

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message ...
I'm trying to find some circuits that I could build to implement a
suround-sound system to compare it to a more tranditional one. While I'm
capable of building and programming a DSP-based system, that's not exactly
what I had in mind -- and most of the algorithms that commercial vendors use
are proprietary anyway. All URL's and references to books and magazines
gratefully accepted.

Norm

Although geared towards private listening, the analog crossfeed projects at
headwize.com could be applied to normal listening, quite effectively. In
any case, browse around http://headwize.com/library.htm.

IMO, I perceive only subtle functional differences between the application
of crossfeed in the analog domain, vs. digital algorithms. One can even
implement adjustable crossfeed, to tweak L+R/L-R to one's tastes.

Personal caveat; I'm not really into crossfeed signal processing. I prefer
listening in a good acoustic, to well-placed loudspeakers. I find crossfeed
moot when seated equidistant to the speakers. Furthermore, when seated
asymmetrical to the speaker positions, I find crossfeed (and surround-sound)
distracting and fatiguing, with all the musicians effectively crowded to one
side of the soundstage, etc.

That stated, I do encourage you to experiment and decide for yourself, as I
did.