beeyp jars

Default [newbie] Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones

I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
(http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).

But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
(Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.

Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
a headphone-amp?
Owain

"beeyp jars" wrote
| I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
| (http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).
| But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
| (Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.
| Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
| a headphone-amp?

The volume will depend on how sensitive the headphones are. It won't hurt to
try it though.

Owain

Owain

"beeyp jars" wrote
| I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
| (http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).
| But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
| (Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.
| Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
| a headphone-amp?

The volume will depend on how sensitive the headphones are. It won't hurt to
try it though.

Owain

Owain

"beeyp jars" wrote
| I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
| (http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).
| But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
| (Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.
| Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
| a headphone-amp?

The volume will depend on how sensitive the headphones are. It won't hurt to
try it though.

Owain

Owain

"beeyp jars" wrote
| I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
| (http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).
| But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
| (Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.
| Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
| a headphone-amp?

The volume will depend on how sensitive the headphones are. It won't hurt to
try it though.

Owain

Dave Plowman

In article EPfic.610$yd1.356@newsfe1-win,
beeyp jars wrote:
I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
(http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).

But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
(Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.

Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
a headphone-amp?

Pretty well all headphones will work ok off a 32 ohm output. High
impedance types may not go as loud as they can, but the difference is
likely to be marginal.

--
*I never drink anything stronger than gin before breakfast *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Laurence Payne

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:23:42 +0100, beeyp jars wrote:

I was about to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990 PRO
(http://www.veronica.co.uk/dt990.htm).

But noticed its impedance is 250 ohms and my sound card's manual
(Creative Live 5.1 Digital) says 32ohm for the OUT socket.

Q: Will it sound very bad with a low volume and hence definitely require
a headphone-amp?

Don't expect miracles from the direct output of a sound card whatever
the rating. But the mismatch here isn't huge.

If you're into music, you feed the output into a decent stereo system,
I hope? Not into toy "computer" speakers. This will have a
headphone jack.

beeyp jars

tim wrote:
I've heard beyer 880's, 990's, and 770's. I really wasn't impressed
with any of them. For that price, my advice would be to go with a pair
of grados.

The headphones will be worn for very long periods and the Grados will be
painful (think 6 hours+ per day).

Hence I prefer Circumaural headphones that rest around the ears.