SZ

Default Replacing Factory Audio of 96 Toyota Camry?

Hi,

I am new to the Car audio, but I found that the audio from the
car does not sound good to me and I also need to add CD function
to it.

I am considering:
1. replace the AM/FM/tape with an AM/FM/CD reciever ( $200).
2. replace the two speakers in front (at doors).

Questions:
1. The car has a powered retractabel antenna. Does normal receivers
support that? What extra kit do I need to connect the receiver
to the car?
2. Does anyone know that the bad sound of the factory setting
is most due to the speakers or the receiver?
3. Is it feasible to replace the front speakers by myself?

Thanks a lot.

-SZ
Daniel Snooks

SZ wrote
I am new to the Car audio, but I found that the audio from the
car does not sound good to me and I also need to add CD function
to it.

I am considering:
1. replace the AM/FM/tape with an AM/FM/CD reciever ( $200).
2. replace the two speakers in front (at doors).

Questions:
1. The car has a powered retractabel antenna. Does normal receivers
support that? What extra kit do I need to connect the receiver
to the car?

The receiver you buy will have a power antenna turn on wire. You will not
need an extra kit for it.
That being said, the best solution for wiring a new receiver is buying a
harness (by Metra or equivalent) so that you don't have to cut the factory
wiring.

2. Does anyone know that the bad sound of the factory setting
is most due to the speakers or the receiver?

In my friend's '93 Camry, we found that the biggest flaw in his factory
system was the speakers in the rear deck. When he first upgraded the factory
deck to a CD player, he bought one without amplifiers in it, so he also
installed an external 4 channel amp to run the factory speakers. The front
speakers sounded fantastic running off the new receiver/amp, but the rear
speakers were horrible. It wasn't the speakers themselves, it was the
mounting of them. The entire rear deck rattled like mad with even the
slightest application of power to the rear speakers. Instead of trying to
stiffen up the rear deck, we installed a 10" sub in a sealed box and
disconnected the rear speakers completely. He was very satisfied with the
results.

3. Is it feasible to replace the front speakers by myself?

Yes. Although in my experience, it is better to have external amplification
first and then upgrade the speakers (or do both at the same time).

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

Bill Pallies

As indicated in the title,
my car is 96 Toyota Camry (4 speaker version) with
AM/FM/Cassette receiver.

Yeah, umm, oops. :-)

Regarding the wiring harness, could you explain a little more
on how it works? If I need to connect the wires from new receiver
to the harness, how do I know which wire should connect to which
pin on the harness? Where can I buy it for my car?

There is a standard color code that everybody uses. What you buy is an
adapter that matches your make and model of car. Wal-Mart has them as well
as any electonics retailer that sells car stereo. The stock plug in your
car plugs into this adapter, the adapter is wired color by color to the
harness that comes with your new stereo, and that harness plugs into the
back of the new headunit. When you buy the harness adapter, you'll also
need to get some wire crimp caps and a pair of crimpers to crimp them on.
Probably 15 or so should do it. It's really pretty simple once you look at
it, just connect each wire color by color and when you're done, you will
have a socket on one end that your car plugs into, and a plug on the other
that goes into your new headunit.

If I buy a right harness, does that mean I can buy any aftermarket
receiver as far as it physically fits?

Yes.

This morning, I peeked through the front speaker cover and I found,
as you mentioned, the speakers seem to be made of paper cone and they
do not even have a tweet cone in the center. I definitely want to
replace them. Could you give me a little more details on how to do
that?

As far as your specific car goes, I don't know. In *general*, door panels
are held in by retaining clips and some screws (like under the door handle
or along the bottom edge sometimes.) This means that you basically find and
remove your screws, then ently pry the door panel off. When you work with
it, you'll notice where the panel is not separating from the door and you
should be able to slip a flatnose in there and work it out. If it seems too

involved or you want to make sure you don't break anything, go down to a
Toyota dealer and ask them for the service manual pages pertaining to that.
Many dealers will print them out for you for free or really cheap. I've
always manages to get door panels off without breaking too many clips, but
even if you snap one or two you should be alright.

As far as swapping out the speakers, you should be able to unscrew the old
and drop in the new. According to Crutchfield your door speakers are 6 1/2"
and your rear deck speakers ar 6"x9"s. Sometimes they're wrong, so verify
with Best Buy or Circuit City. They keep databased on all the models.
Anyway, as far as wiring goes, you may need to cut off the factory plugs and
replace them with the standard quick-slide connectors. As far as what color
wire is [+] and which is [-], this may help
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/Toyota-Wiring.pdf. If your colors match
what's on that chart, then the descriptions should match as well.

Another site to look at is
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

-Bill

--- Bill Pallies wrote:
My replies are inline below...

Questions:
1. The car has a powered retractabel antenna.
Does normal receivers support that?

Yes, most receivers supply a turn-on lead that provides 12V for a power
antenna. If you happen to use one that doesn't, you can always run the
amplifier turn-on lead to a relay which will swich on the antenna. Go

here
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm for more info on

that.

What extra kit do I need to connect the receiver to the car?

Many import cars require no kit, just unbolt the old and bolt in the

new.
You should get a wiring harness adapter though, this will make the

install a
lot easier. If you have a car with a non-standard headunit (Which is

almost
all American cars and some imports), you can get an adapter to fit your
aftermarket stereo into the dash opening.

2. Does anyone know that the bad sound of the factory setting
is most due to the speakers or the receiver?

A litlle from column A, a little from column B. Most stock headunits

lack
good frequency response in the high-end. They also put out very little

power
on the speaker leads. Stock speakers are even worse, typically made from
paper with paper or foam surrounds and a paper cone in the center to

make
the higher frequencies.

3. Is it feasible to replace the front speakers by myself?

Definitely. Most vehicles are a snap to remove door panels. After that,

it's
unscrew the old, screw in the new.

Thanks a lot.

No problem. I'd like to know what car you're talking about. I'm sure

you'll
get much more detailedinformation here with that.

-Bill

SZ

Thanks, Bill and Daniel.

I will definitely give a try. I actually have repair manual for
the car (bought from an auto shop). I think I can handle removing
the door panels even though the manual is not very detailed on it.

Since I am not really a fan on auto audio and just want to have
a decent audio system, I will buy a receiver with built-in
amp (~40w x 4). Maybe a pioneer or sony will do. ($150)

For the speakers, I will get a pair of probably pioneer or sony
with cost less than $79.

Thanks again for all your help.

-SZ
pepperfraggle

Hello all,
I just bought a JVC KD G400 car stereo and I'm putting it into my 97
Camry and was wondering if you know what the plug next to the antenna
plug is. I think I'm going to buy 2 metra harnesses (one for the radio
and one for my toyota) from circuit city so that I don't have to splice
any wires but I cannot figure out where that last plug plugs into next
to the antenna and not in the grouping of wires. Also will these
purchased harnesses work with the remote wire just fine? Will these 2
harness purchases be all that I need to hook this puppy up or will I
need to buy anything else? I've already taken out the old radio and
the new one should fit. Thanks for all your help,
Nichole

--
pepperfraggle