Magnusfarce

Default Replace Old Speaker Cables ?

I have some old Kimber cable that I use for my Mirage M-3's. These are from
the days when, if I remember correctly, they specified their speaker wires
types by color. This is the "brown" jacketed wire, with four wires inside:
green, brown, blue, and white. Needless to say these cables have a few
years on them. Aside from clipping an inch or two from each end every few
years when I reset or replace connectors, is their any reason to ever
upgrade or replace these wires?

- Magnusfarce

Robert Morein

"Magnusfarce" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have some old Kimber cable that I use for my Mirage M-3's. These are

from
the days when, if I remember correctly, they specified their speaker wires
types by color. This is the "brown" jacketed wire, with four wires

inside:
green, brown, blue, and white. Needless to say these cables have a few
years on them. Aside from clipping an inch or two from each end every few
years when I reset or replace connectors, is their any reason to ever
upgrade or replace these wires?

- Magnusfarce

Not in my opinion.
Instead of clipping, I would simply tin the wires.
The wires can be retinned as necessary.
A tinned connection provides a pressure weld bond to a properly secured
thumbscrew, which is far superior to bare copper, which rapidly oxidizes.

Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 02:06:51 GMT, "Magnusfarce"
wrote:

I have some old Kimber cable that I use for my Mirage M-3's. These are from
the days when, if I remember correctly, they specified their speaker wires
types by color. This is the "brown" jacketed wire, with four wires inside:
green, brown, blue, and white. Needless to say these cables have a few
years on them. Aside from clipping an inch or two from each end every few
years when I reset or replace connectors, is their any reason to ever
upgrade or replace these wires?

If you keep clipping the ends, they will become too short one day.
Then replace them.

Kal

Richard Crowley

"Magnusfarce" wrote in ...
I have some old Kimber cable that I use for my Mirage
M-3's. These are from the days when, if I remember correctly,
they specified their speaker wires types by color. This
is the "brown" jacketed wire, with four wires inside:
green, brown, blue, and white. Needless to say these
cables have a few years on them. Aside from clipping
an inch or two from each end every few years when I
reset or replace connectors, is their any reason to ever
upgrade or replace these wires?

Sustaining the income stream to the "boutique cable"
vendors so they can maintain their yachts? :-)

There are several ways of making "gas-tight" connections
that don't involve exposing fresh copper annually.

Don Hills

In article ,
"Robert Morein" wrote:
Not in my opinion.
Instead of clipping, I would simply tin the wires.
The wires can be retinned as necessary.
A tinned connection provides a pressure weld bond to a properly secured
thumbscrew, which is far superior to bare copper, which rapidly oxidizes.

If you tin the wires, remember to retighten the connections regularly. The
solder "cold flows" over time, loosening the connection. This is why many
electrical codes forbid tinning the wires when fastening to a fixture such
as a plug or socket. A loose speaker connection is no big deal, but a loose
mains connection can overheat and cause a fire.

"I don't use Linux. I prefer to use an OS supported by a large multi-
national vendor, with a good office suite, excellent network/internet
software and decent hardware support."

Karl Uppiano

"Don Hills" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Robert Morein" wrote:
Not in my opinion.
Instead of clipping, I would simply tin the wires.
The wires can be retinned as necessary.
A tinned connection provides a pressure weld bond to a properly secured
thumbscrew, which is far superior to bare copper, which rapidly oxidizes.

If you tin the wires, remember to retighten the connections regularly. The
solder "cold flows" over time, loosening the connection. This is why many
electrical codes forbid tinning the wires when fastening to a fixture such
as a plug or socket. A loose speaker connection is no big deal, but a

loose
mains connection can overheat and cause a fire.

I'd just solder some nice gold spade lugs onto the ends.

Geoff Wood

Magnusfarce wrote:
I have some old Kimber cable that I use for my Mirage M-3's. These
are from the days when, if I remember correctly, they specified their
speaker wires types by color. This is the "brown" jacketed wire,
with four wires inside: green, brown, blue, and white. Needless to
say these cables have a few years on them. Aside from clipping an
inch or two from each end every few years when I reset or replace
connectors, is their any reason to ever upgrade or replace these
wires?

If the insulation decomposes. Otherwise no.

geoff