Posted to rec.audio.high-end
chai&cigs chai&cigs is offline

Default DVD Player for hi fi speakers

Hello - i have a query regarding what brand of DVD player i should
purchase, with a particular requirement.

I recently purchased a pair of hi end floorstanding stereo speakers, i
got myself a 90 watt technics amplifier as well, i used to have a
cyberhome DVD player hooked up to it. For the basic reason, that it
had volume control on the remote, so i could keep the volume control
on the amplifier constant and vary from the remote. (the amplifier
does not have a remote, its an old model).

My main question, what kind of DVD player in the current market would
have

1. a good display so that DVD mp3's in sub-folders can be navigated
( within reason.) with relative ease.
2. Will have a volume control on the remote so that the outgoing audio
input from the player can be varied

The dvd player application will be strictly for audio purpose only.

Appreciate your inputs and your experiences on this.

Best regards,

CC
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Sonnova Sonnova is offline

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:32:03 -0800, chai&cigs wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Try Oppo:

http://tinyurl.com/2bp4n4

The 970 at $150 is an incredible bargain and will play any audio format:
regular CD, DVD-Audio, as well as SACD. It also sounds GREAT and has positive
reviews from just about everybody who's anybody in the A/V business. It will
also play videos.

If you want really good video performance and have an HDTV with HDMI
interface, get the 980 or 981. They're a bit more money ($230 for the 981),
but the Faroudja DCDi enhancement is worth the effort if you watch a lot of
DVDs. Be advised that the 980 and 981 only output up-sampled video through an
HDMI connector. If your TV has only component (PbPrY) inputs you can't use
the top two models for up-sampled DCDi video. Only the straight composite or
S-video connections will be available to you. So, if you don't have HDMI or
indeed, an HDTV television monitor, don't bother with the 980 or the 981, you
can't use the extra performance that you would be paying for. Stick with the
970. Believe me you won't regret the purchase - especially for the money.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Chung[_2_] Chung[_2_] is offline

chai&cigs wrote:
[...]

Have you thought about using an mp3 player to play mp3's, instead of
using a DVD player? The iPod does items (1) and (2) very well. And you
no longer need to burn mp3's to DVD's. You can equipped the iPod with
wireless remotes. Or better yet, get a receiver with a remote so that
you can control any source that plays through it. You can get a receiver
with preamp outputs if you want to keep using your power amp.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tynan Agvišr[_2_] Tynan Agvišr[_2_] is offline

Chung wrote in
om:

chai&cigs wrote:
[...]

I second the OPPO suggestion. It is a great way to get your feet wet in
the world of high resolution audio. The only drawback is that the stated
SACD capability is a bit of a wash. THe OPPO handles the DSD Stream by
downsampling to Linear PCM en route to the outputs...so when you load a
SACD disc, be aware that you are *NOT* hearing true DSD. In my opinion,
that issue is of no consequence to the big picture... SACD is a niche
format, definitely not any better to hear than LPCM by default, so unless
you have a burning desire to listen to pure DSD, dont worry about it...Do
be sure and update the firmware, and throw some vibrapods on the feet of
the unit. When you save up more money, you can take things a step higher
by either getting your OPPO modded by one of the many Tweaking gurus
around,(referenceaudiomods.com among others) or,by doing like I did,
getting a really nice outboard DAC to use in tandem . One more thing..,
it is important to note that the "volume control" on the provided remote
control(which is nothing more than an attenuator) should be turned *all
the way up*(unity) and left that way. To change volume, use the controls
on the preamp or integrated, etc..Not having any attenuation in the
signal path is advantageous in terms of getting the best sound quality.
(Signal to Noise ratio is improved quite a bit) Good luck with your
search. www.oppodigital.com

-Tynan

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Tynan Agvi?r" wrote:
Chung wrote in
om:

chai&cigs wrote:
[...]

THe 970HD does that. The 980 does not, unless you tell it to. Either
way, it's unlikely to matter, unless you can really hear the difference between
3 gHz/1 bit and 88.1kHz/24bit

___
-S
"As human beings, we understand the world through simile, analogy,
metaphor, narrative and, sometimes, claymation." - B. Mason

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tynan Agvišr[_2_] Tynan Agvišr[_2_] is offline

THe 970HD does that. The 980 does not, unless you tell it to. Either
way, it's unlikely to matter, unless you can really hear the
difference between 3 gHz/1 bit and 88.1kHz/24bit

so the 980 does not Transcode like the 970? that is good news. I can hear
the difference between DSD and normal high-res...but only on my studio and
nice playback gear...(I dont see the point in listening to either of those
two anywhere but on a decent system anyway)

Cd Player and Speakers help Jaxjags51 Car Audio 2 October 5th 06 11:33 PM
mp3 player to pc speakers bit General 6 June 7th 06 10:26 PM
Unique need for small MP3 player speakers. [email protected] General 1 March 30th 06 03:33 PM
Compact mp3 player + speakers? Baelzar Tech 1 March 31st 05 08:44 PM
Blown car speakers or bad CD player? Help! Paul Car Audio 4 August 5th 04 12:01 AM