Default Can anyone fix my EV RE55?

Hi all...

I just sent in an RE55 to EV to have it repaired, and it came back with
a note saying that they cannot repair the mic...

Does anyone know of any other options for repair?

The mic works, but it sounds like there's bacon frying in the
background.
An intermittant crackling...

Thanks in advance...

Bruce

Phil Allison

I just sent in an RE55 to EV to have it repaired, and it came back with
a note saying that they cannot repair the mic...

Does anyone know of any other options for repair?

The mic works, but it sounds like there's bacon frying in the
background.
An intermittant crackling...

** Have you tried turning off the phantom power ??

Hard to see how an dynamic can make noise with no power source.

........... Phil

Scott Dorsey

Hi all...

I just sent in an RE55 to EV to have it repaired, and it came back with
a note saying that they cannot repair the mic...

Does anyone know of any other options for repair?

The mic works, but it sounds like there's bacon frying in the
background.
An intermittant crackling...

Any tech can resolder the connections inside, which is a possible
issue. BUT, that sort of thing can also be caused by an break in the
coil wire, which is basically unrepairable.

I don't know anybody who can repair damaged dynamic elements. It really
shouldn't be all that difficult... you'd need some specialized winding
jigs for various microphones and you'd need to get a supplier to make
you some mylar diaphragms, but it doesn't seem like it would be THAT
much worse than reconing speakers. But nobody is doing it.

There are a huge number of 666 mikes out there with open coils too.

Thanks all for the input....

"Who did you send it to? Was it EV? "

I sent it to Telex, who now does the authorized repairs on EV mics...

It wasn't all that long ago that if you sent a mic to EV to have it
repaired, it came back fixed, and they didn't charge for the service
(!).
It was too good to be true, and alas, those days are over...

I *highly* recommend insisting on an estimate before having Telex
undertake repairs on your mic, based on this recent experience.
I sent in the RE55 and a 635a, and they fixed the 635a and charged 91
bucks plus shipping without informing me on what it would cost...
Not exacly what I had in mind...

Bruce

Scott Dorsey

playon wrote:

I'm speaking out of ignorance here, but there are quite a few guys out
there rewinding and making electric guitar pickups, couldn't that gear
be modified to be used for repairing the coils?

I dunno, I never saw a pickup rebuilt. It would seem like a much easier
thing to do, though, at least if it's like making chokes and transformers.
SSJVCmag

On 4/20/05 7:07 PM, in article , "Scott Dorsey"
wrote:

playon wrote:

I'm speaking out of ignorance here, but there are quite a few guys out
there rewinding and making electric guitar pickups, couldn't that gear
be modified to be used for repairing the coils?

I dunno, I never saw a pickup rebuilt. It would seem like a much easier
thing to do, though, at least if it's like making chokes and transformers.

Same thing. You;re talking VERY do-able real-thin-wire-on-a-bobbin.
And remember, in a pickup, NOTHING MOVES,
Not so in a mic...
I repositioned a ribbon once in a nothing-to-lose Rca Junior situation and
it was cool, I'm still kinda goggle-eyed that you can rediaphragm a
condensor mic outside of a micro-waldo-clean-room, recone a speaker pretty
easy, and drop-in-diaphragms for compression drivers are normal field fixes
as of +40yrs ago. The sheer tiny size, fragile former, glues and critical
mass and flexibility that are so critical to a dynamic mic make me just get
all crazy thinkin about it.

Phil Allison

"SSJVCmag"

The sheer tiny size, fragile former, glues and critical
mass and flexibility that are so critical to a dynamic mic make me just
get
all crazy thinkin about it.

** I still have a small stock of AKG D19 diaphragms which are the ones
used in the famous D12 "bass drum" mic. Theses were available for a couple
of dollars each from AKG as replacements for the D12 since it used a screw
down metal ring to hold the edge of the diaphragm in place. Fixed quite few
broken D12s that way.

The D19 diaphragm was also used in the D707 and D190 mics.