Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mark D

Default Tone Controls, EQ's Etc.

Hi All, Sorry if this has been covered a zillion times before, but I
have some questions concerning Hi-End equipment, and thier features, or
I should say, lack of.

I notice that many modern high end Pre-Amplifiers have an absence of
simple Tone Controls.

I basically understand the reasoning behind this, as the simpler the
chain, the less interference, or "destruction" I should say of the
purity of sound by introducing Tone Controls into the Pre-Amplifier's
Circuittry.

Do purists now cringe at the thought of having at least a Bass-Treble
Control on thier Pre-Amps?

We would all assume with these modern Pre-Amps, that the signal produced
would be flat from xxHz to xx,xxxHz, but I wonder what one now does due
to inefficiencies in room acoustics, or the inefficiencies of a given
speaker?

Does one with these caliber of systems now have to typically resort to
modifying thier speaker's x-overs, spend countless $100's, to $1,000's
of dollars in room treatments, call in the "sound techs-geek squad" for
advice-testing or what?

Is the addition of a simple Graphic EQ such a taboo thing nowadays?

I do see EQ's in abundance for the pro user, but really not much
available for the home audio user?

What is left out there? Is there such a thing as a good EQ that will not
be a detriment to high-end audio components?

Or am I missing the boat somehow, that people who own audio gear like
$12K Krell Amps, $7K Krell Pre-Amps, and $14K Speaker systems have no
need for such an animal?

TIA, Mark
(PS: I posted this to RAHE, and it seems everyone there is afraid to
respond)