Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Speaker surround replacement - any recommended or not-recommended suppliers?

I've got a few pairs of speakers I need to replace the foam
surround on. I have found a bunch of places with widely
different prices for the foam surrounds. Does anyone here have
experience with these or others. I am curious about the
quality/durability of their products. Are the expensive
ones worth the price difference?

Some places sell the surrounds only with angled or only with flat inside edges.
Does the angle make any real difference?

http://speakerex.com/refoam_kits.html

http://www.wholesaleaudioaccessories...ES/CTGY/Repair

http://www.parts-express.com/webpage...Group_ID= 373

http://www.decware.com/newsite/repairs.html

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/speakerkits.htm

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...y_Code=AHI_RRC

http://matelectronics.com/cgi-bin/sh...R_2d8#aFER_2d8

Posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Bob F wrote:
I've got a few pairs of speakers I need to replace the foam
surround on. I have found a bunch of places with widely
different prices for the foam surrounds. Does anyone here have
experience with these or others. I am curious about the
quality/durability of their products. Are the expensive
ones worth the price difference?

Some places sell the surrounds only with angled or only with flat inside edges.
Does the angle make any real difference?

http://speakerex.com/refoam_kits.html

http://www.wholesaleaudioaccessories...ES/CTGY/Repair

http://www.parts-express.com/webpage...Group_ID= 373

http://www.decware.com/newsite/repairs.html

http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/speakerkits.htm

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchan...y_Code=AHI_RRC

http://matelectronics.com/cgi-bin/sh...R_2d8#aFER_2d8

Last question first: the angle makes a difference. If your driver has a
an angle, you need to match it. If it has a flat rim, you need to match
that.

As far as the different products go, if you need a kit, with glue,
shims, instructions and dust cap; go with one of the brand-specific full
kits offered. I doubt you'll get better components than if you buy from
the company which sells bulk surround rings, but I can't say for sure.

I went that way myself the first time I did a refoam; but I've still got
plenty of glue left from that job. Shims are merely pieces of paper or
cardboard; and the dustcap can often be reused. So, if I were doing it
again, I'd probably just buy a pair of surrounds and go at it.

Also, beware of woofers you acquire in deteriorated condition. If you
know the history of the driver, and you are sure they have not been
played since the surrounds rotted; you have a pretty good chance of
resurrecting them. If not, your chances are less than 100%. There are
many bad things that can happen to a driver if it has been used with a
bad surround...all of which are fatal (another reason to do it as
cheaply as possible).

Also be aware that the driver may not sound 'exactly' as new. It's
almost a sure bet that the compliance of the replacement (unless--or
even 'if'--sourced from the OEM) will not match the original. It's left
to you to determine if that's an issue or not. Given the wide variance
in driver compliance--and the small contribution of that parameter to
the overall sound--I tend to discount it. However, the process should
always be done in pairs...never fix only one of two. Even if the other
'looks' okay it will need to be done, sooner than later (especially
keeping in mind that bad things happen to otherwise good woofers, when
the surround deteriorates in use).

jak
Posted to rec.audio.pro
thepaulthomas thepaulthomas is offline

On Dec 13, 11:39*am, "Bob F" wrote:

Orange County Speaker Repair (speakerrepair.com) does good work with
fast turnaround time. I've had at least half a dozen speakers of
varying brands and sizes rebuilt by them in the past 2-3 years (I
handle the maintenance for a club where the PA takes a hell of a
beating, 7 nights a week). I've been very happy with their service.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Bob F wrote:
I've got a few pairs of speakers I need to replace the foam
surround on. I have found a bunch of places with widely
different prices for the foam surrounds. Does anyone here have
experience with these or others. I am curious about the
quality/durability of their products. Are the expensive
ones worth the price difference?

What kind of speakers are they and how is the surround attached?

If it is at all possible to use a refoam kit from the manufacturer, do so.
Otherwise the Waldom kits are pretty good for most speakers althout not for
all.

Some of the Parts Express kits seem to be good and others seem to be crap and
you don't know until they arrive which they are.

Some places sell the surrounds only with angled or only with flat inside edges.
Does the angle make any real difference?

It depends on the drivers you're working on. Your goal is to have the same
stiffness and same X-max as before, and to have the resistance linear across
the whole travel. The good news is that the surround really affects the
suspension stiffness less than you'd expect, but you can move the Fs around
a little if you don't use the right replacement.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob F Bob F is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:
I've got a few pairs of speakers I need to replace the foam
surround on. I have found a bunch of places with widely
different prices for the foam surrounds. Does anyone here have
experience with these or others. I am curious about the
quality/durability of their products. Are the expensive
ones worth the price difference?

What kind of speakers are they and how is the surround attached?

First to try AR18B's
Second Speakerlab 7's
Third Dahlquist DQ12's

They are all glued. Foam to paper.

If it is at all possible to use a refoam kit from the manufacturer, do so.
Otherwise the Waldom kits are pretty good for most speakers althout not for
all.

The only Waldom I find is a "distributer's distributer" - I can't find a catalog
on their site.

Some of the Parts Express kits seem to be good and others seem to be crap and
you don't know until they arrive which they are.

What is the difference? What do I need to look for or watch out for?

Some places sell the surrounds only with angled or only with flat inside
edges.
Does the angle make any real difference?

It depends on the drivers you're working on. Your goal is to have the same
stiffness and same X-max as before, and to have the resistance linear across
the whole travel. The good news is that the surround really affects the
suspension stiffness less than you'd expect, but you can move the Fs around
a little if you don't use the right replacement.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob F Bob F is offline

"jakdedert" wrote in message
news
Bob F wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the info.

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bob F wrote:

What kind of speakers are they and how is the surround attached?

First to try AR18B's
Second Speakerlab 7's
Third Dahlquist DQ12's

They are all glued. Foam to paper.

AR should have kits available. I'd ask Dahlquest also if they have
kits.

If it is at all possible to use a refoam kit from the manufacturer, do so.
Otherwise the Waldom kits are pretty good for most speakers althout not for
all.

The only Waldom I find is a "distributer's distributer" - I can't find a catalog
on their site.

The catalogue costs money to get. Image Communication can sell you most
Waldom items, or they can set you up with a recone shop that might be
willing to sell you parts.

Some of the Parts Express kits seem to be good and others seem to be crap and
you don't know until they arrive which they are.

What is the difference? What do I need to look for or watch out for?

The differences is that some fit well and some don't fit well, some are
very poorly made with a lot of flash around the edges, and some of them
match the compliance of the original and some do not. You order them
and then you see what shows up. Sometimes some cut and paste work is in
order.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bob F wrote:

What kind of speakers are they and how is the surround attached?

First to try AR18B's
Second Speakerlab 7's
Third Dahlquist DQ12's

They are all glued. Foam to paper.

AR should have kits available. I'd ask Dahlquest also if they have
kits.

Dahlquist is long gone, as far as I can tell.

If it is at all possible to use a refoam kit from the manufacturer, do so.
Otherwise the Waldom kits are pretty good for most speakers althout not for
all.

The only Waldom I find is a "distributer's distributer" - I can't find a
catalog
on their site.

The catalogue costs money to get. Image Communication can sell you most
Waldom items, or they can set you up with a recone shop that might be
willing to sell you parts.

I can't find "Image Communication" either

Some of the Parts Express kits seem to be good and others seem to be crap
and
you don't know until they arrive which they are.

What is the difference? What do I need to look for or watch out for?

The differences is that some fit well and some don't fit well, some are
very poorly made with a lot of flash around the edges, and some of them
match the compliance of the original and some do not. You order them
and then you see what shows up. Sometimes some cut and paste work is in
order.

Thanks for that info.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Bob F wrote:

I can't find "Image Communication" either

They are the country's largest dealer of pro audio drivers. 800-552-1639