Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

Default Mixing film and concert styles

For a TV project last year I aquired some tiny wireless gear, Lectrosonics
SM transmitters and almost-invisible Countryman B6 lavalier mics,

I have recently found myself using this easily-hidden gear for spot mics in
live concerts when appearance counted more than sonic quality.

Case in point: Last Sunday I recorded the Christmas extravaganza at a
large downtown church. I was allowed one visible mic stand to record four
different choruses in three different locations with everything from
handbells to pipe organ plus large brass ensemble for accompaniment. I
wound up using about 12 channels to capture everything, but I'll never have
more than about six in the mix at a time.

The lavaliers came in handy to record the children standing behind the
altar table with two tall candles. Intimidated by the grand surroundings,
the girls made almost no sound. I taped the lavaliers to the back side of
the candles and ran the cables down behind the tables to the transmitters.

Given the choice between the somewhat harsh lavs and no sound at all, I
much prefer what I got.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
WillStG WillStG is offline

On Dec 8, 10:08*pm, Carey Carlan wrote:
[...]

Well are the B6's harsh? The better Lectrosonic RF's tend to be
pretty clean I've thought.

You know some Vintage Neumann lavs used the KK83 omni capsule, and
your DPA 4021's are basically lav mics,
with cool mounting accessories for various stringed instruments. Man
they are fabulous on a string section,
I've used them for live sound and they just work, really really well.

Also for studio work Sennheiser MKE102's are better mics than a
lot of Shure's I think - and cost more too.
If you love omnis. They have kits to use them as PZM as well, which
should be easy to conceal on a stage set.

Will Miho
NY TV/Music/Audio Post/Live Sound Guy
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Carey Carlan Carey Carlan is offline

WillStG wrote in
:

Given the choice between the somewhat harsh lavs and no sound at all,
I much prefer what I got.

Well are the B6's harsh? The better Lectrosonic RF's tend to be
pretty clean I've thought.

They are not as smooth as my Schoeps and DPA. I'll try fiddling with
the caps. Countryman provides three covers for the capsule with flat,
bright, and very bright response. I was using the "flat" cap. I'll try
it without caps entirely and after whittling on the caps and see what
happens.

I'm hearing something slightly distorted as well in the high end.
Perhaps it's just my ears getting old. The sound is by no means ugly.
I could solo it and no one would mind except me.

You know some Vintage Neumann lavs used the KK83 omni capsule, and
your DPA 4021's are basically lav mics,
with cool mounting accessories for various stringed instruments. Man
they are fabulous on a string section,
I've used them for live sound and they just work, really really well.

Also for studio work Sennheiser MKE102's are better mics than a
lot of Shure's I think - and cost more too.
If you love omnis. They have kits to use them as PZM as well, which
should be easy to conceal on a stage set

I had not heard of the Sennheiser MKE102. Looks interesting.