Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

Default Belden 82723 review?

Hey, folks... I've picked up a monthly corporate sound gig, and need
to make a stereo return snake. I own plenty of snakes, but this gig
doesn't require 16x4, 24x4, 32x8, etc.... it at BEST requires a 4
channel snake, but for now I'd be fine with a two channel run.

I've found a good line on Belden 82723... how is this to work with?
Belden always seems to be good wire, but is this sturdy enough to
handle people walking on it, etc.?

In a perfect world, I'd buy a 4-pair run, and use these Neutrik ends:

http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/2...-C_detail.aspx

Seems like a versatile solution. Any suggestions for a 4 pair cable?
I'd like a 150' run.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"coreybenson" wrote ...
Hey, folks... I've picked up a monthly corporate sound gig, and need
to make a stereo return snake. I own plenty of snakes, but this gig
doesn't require 16x4, 24x4, 32x8, etc.... it at BEST requires a 4
channel snake, but for now I'd be fine with a two channel run.

I've found a good line on Belden 82723... how is this to work with?
Belden always seems to be good wire, but is this sturdy enough to
handle people walking on it, etc.?

That PVC-sheath cable is fine for install (or semi-install) but beware
that it won't like very flat, especially in cold weather. And it will be
a trip hazard unless completely secured (gaffer's tape, throw-rug,
rubber channel, etc.) anywhere where people are walking.

Of course it won't have the life expectancy of a proper rubber (or
equivalent) cable which is meant for portable use. Especially if
people will be walking on it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

coreybenson wrote:
Hey, folks... I've picked up a monthly corporate sound gig, and need
to make a stereo return snake. I own plenty of snakes, but this gig
doesn't require 16x4, 24x4, 32x8, etc.... it at BEST requires a 4
channel snake, but for now I'd be fine with a two channel run.

I've found a good line on Belden 82723... how is this to work with?
Belden always seems to be good wire, but is this sturdy enough to
handle people walking on it, etc.?

This is a permanent install wire. It has a foil shield. That shield
will fail if you spend much time rolling the cable up and unrolling it.

For two channels, the CHEAP thing to do is to terminate some star-quad
with two XLRs, using alternate pairs. There is a little crosstalk but
your noise rejection is no worse than one pair alone would be.

In a perfect world, I'd buy a 4-pair run, and use these Neutrik ends:

http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/2...-C_detail.aspx

Neutrik actually makes nifty little 4-jack stage boxes. I have never
used the ambisexual connectors from Neutrik and I kind of shy away from
them because they haven't been on the market for long enough to know
how they will fail.

Seems like a versatile solution. Any suggestions for a 4 pair cable?
I'd like a 150' run.

If you are wedded to Belden stuff, try 7885A or 1904A.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Nov 25, 12:46 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
I've found a good line on Belden 82723... how is this to work with?
Belden always seems to be good wire, but is this sturdy enough to
handle people walking on it, etc.?

This is a permanent install wire. It has a foil shield. That shield
will fail if you spend much time rolling the cable up and unrolling it.

Richard and Scott: Thank you both for letting me know this was install
wire. I was wondering...

For two channels, the CHEAP thing to do is to terminate some star-quad
with two XLRs, using alternate pairs. There is a little crosstalk but
your noise rejection is no worse than one pair alone would be.

In a perfect world, I'd buy a 4-pair run, and use these Neutrik ends:

http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/2...-C_detail.aspx

Neutrik actually makes nifty little 4-jack stage boxes. I have never
used the ambisexual connectors from Neutrik and I kind of shy away from
them because they haven't been on the market for long enough to know
how they will fail.

Drop box end, and jumper off of it into the speakers? That would work.
I'd kind of hoped to avoid another interconnect, if I could, but...

I agree with your thoughts about the new connectors, and they cost
double (or more) what the good Male or Female ends cost. It just makes
the snake SO versatile, and I've had good luck with their gear in the
past. I'll need to think about it. Hmm.

If you are wedded to Belden stuff, try 7885A or 1904A.
--scott

Not wedded to Belden, but I have had good luck with it over the years.

Hmm. Star Quad? What a great idea! Since I'm running line level
signal, I'd bet the cross-talk would be minimal! Thanks for the
suggestion, Scott!

I'll see if I can source 7885A or 1904A through one of my regular
vendors. Thanks, Scott and Richard!

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Nov 25, 2:30*pm, coreybenson wrote:
[...]

Scott/Richard/anyone else with more of a clue than me:

I purchased 200' of Star Quad cable (VTG Audio Professional Braided
Shield Quad Balanced Microphone Cabel Made in U.S.A.) and wired up a
70' two-channel snake, per your recommendation on the RAP newsgroup. I
am getting a HORRIBLE buzz when I test it. I've checked my wiring, and
it's fine. Should I not be connecting one or both of the shields?

I sacrificed about two feet of the cable to harvest the shield, in
order to make sure the separated 9" sections had shielding, and tied
that shielding to the original shield. I did not tie the shield to the
shell of the connector (I never do). I'm using Neutrik NC3FX and NC3MX
connectors, 3M 3x16" heat shrink tubing, and high quality 63/37 rosin
core solder. My solder joints look great under a magnifying glass.
I've been soldering for 20+ years, and have US Navy training in
Microsoldering. I wired my entire studio with zero bad connections, so
I'm fairly confident in my connections.

Symptoms: If nothing is conencted to the Female ends of the snake,
dead silence at the board. As soon as I connect ANYTHING to either
side of the snake (line level, which is the designated purpose, or
microphone), I get buzzing on both channels of the snake. I've made
sure Phantom Power is off, no change.

So, assuming my mechanical connections are correct, what have I
potentially done wrong? Thoughts? Opinions? Help! Any suggestions
greatly appreciated!

Corey

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:18:42 -0800 (PST), coreybenson
wrote:

Symptoms: If nothing is conencted to the Female ends of the snake,
dead silence at the board. As soon as I connect ANYTHING to either
side of the snake (line level, which is the designated purpose, or
microphone), I get buzzing on both channels of the snake. I've made
sure Phantom Power is off, no change.

So, assuming my mechanical connections are correct, what have I
potentially done wrong? Thoughts? Opinions? Help! Any suggestions
greatly appreciated!

First, lift the shield at the source end. Better?

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

wrote:
Symptoms: If nothing is conencted to the Female ends of the snake,
dead silence at the board. As soon as I connect ANYTHING to either
side of the snake (line level, which is the designated purpose, or
microphone), I get buzzing on both channels of the snake. I've made
sure Phantom Power is off, no change.

So, assuming my mechanical connections are correct, what have I
potentially done wrong? Thoughts? Opinions? Help! Any suggestions
greatly appreciated!

First, lift the shield at the source end. Better?

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck

Hey, Chris... thanks for the prompt response. Sadly, the answer is No.
No improvement. Not it won't pass signal at all, it seems.

The cable I purchased does not have a ground AND shield, just a shield
(like most cable I've worked with, other than true snake cable).

Thoughts?

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 10:56:41 -0800 (PST), coreybenson
wrote:

First, lift the shield at the source end. Better?

Hey, Chris... thanks for the prompt response. Sadly, the answer is No.
No improvement. Not it won't pass signal at all, it seems.

The cable I purchased does not have a ground AND shield, just a shield
(like most cable I've worked with, other than true snake cable).

Thoughts?

??? What ground? Balanced lines have two hot (signal-
carrying) wires and (usually) a sheild. No grounds, per se.

Maybe you'll need to be more specific about what you're
actually connecting. Something's getting lost in the
translation to-n-from Usenet.

Line level source =

Line level detination =

All good fortune,
Chris Hornbeck
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"coreybenson" wrote ...
I purchased 200' of Star Quad cable (VTG Audio Professional Braided
Shield Quad Balanced Microphone Cabel Made in U.S.A.) and wired up a
70' two-channel snake, per your recommendation on the RAP newsgroup. I
am getting a HORRIBLE buzz when I test it. I've checked my wiring, and
it's fine. Should I not be connecting one or both of the shields?

Symptoms: If nothing is conencted to the Female ends of the snake,
dead silence at the board. As soon as I connect ANYTHING to either
side of the snake (line level, which is the designated purpose, or
microphone), I get buzzing on both channels of the snake. I've made
sure Phantom Power is off, no change.

So, assuming my mechanical connections are correct, what have I
potentially done wrong? Thoughts? Opinions? Help! Any suggestions
greatly appreciated!

You didn't describe how everything is connected.
There should be a single shield around all four wires
in the cable. That shield should connect to BOTH
connectors on BOTH ends, to pin 1 in every case.

Quad cables typically have two white and two blue
internal wires (at least the ones I've used had that
color convention). I usually take the two white wires
and connect one to pin 2 and one to pin 3, and then
on the same pin numbers at the other end. Note that
since you can't tell which white wire is pin 2 and which
is pin 3, you will need to do an electrical test with a
meter or some circuit tester gadget. Then do the same
with the two blue wires, for the other channel, etc.

That wiring scheme has never failed to work for me
across a wide variety of applications including both
mic and line-level signals.

I typically put a 5-pin XLR on each end of the quad
cable, and then make a 5-pin to two 3-pin "Y-adapter"
cable for each end rather than trying to do an in-line
splice to bring out the individual shielded pair at the
ends. This has the added advantage of making up
end adaptors with other kinds of connectors (TRS,
or even RCA phono if needed, etc.)

An added advantage of using the 5-pin connectors on
the ends of the quad cable is that stereo microphones
use the same connector so I can easily make single-
cable runs to my stereo mics and then split out Left
and Right back at the preamp end. And I frequently
use the Y-adaptor at the mic end when I am doing
coincident pair with discrete microphones, also.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Kuschel Richard Kuschel is offline

On Nov 25, 11:27 am, coreybenson wrote:
Hey, folks... I've picked up a monthly corporate sound gig, and need
to make a stereo return snake. I own plenty of snakes, but this gig
doesn't require 16x4, 24x4, 32x8, etc.... it at BEST requires a 4
channel snake, but for now I'd be fine with a two channel run.

I've found a good line on Belden 82723... how is this to work with?
Belden always seems to be good wire, but is this sturdy enough to
handle people walking on it, etc.?

In a perfect world, I'd buy a 4-pair run, and use these Neutrik ends:

http://www.neutrik.com/us/en/audio/2...-C_detail.aspx

Seems like a versatile solution. Any suggestions for a 4 pair cable?
I'd like a 150' run.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Corey

What I use for stereo lines is VTG two pair ultra flexible
professional grade multipair. It has two separate sets of lines, each
insulated from one another with a spiral shield and drain wire. It's
not much thicker than microphone cable at 0.320 inches in diameter.
Very flexible, coils easily and I use it for all my stereo microphone
lines.

I can also get it in 4 pair up to 58 pair.

There is another less flexible version of the same cable which is
slightly less expensive.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

coreybenson wrote:

I purchased 200' of Star Quad cable (VTG Audio Professional Braided
Shield Quad Balanced Microphone Cabel Made in U.S.A.) and wired up a
70' two-channel snake, per your recommendation on the RAP newsgroup. I
am getting a HORRIBLE buzz when I test it. I've checked my wiring, and
it's fine. Should I not be connecting one or both of the shields?

You tried to use the four conductors in the star quad as two
two-conductor cables? You probably got the pairing wrong. Check it out
with an ohm meter and be sure that you don't have Pin 2 of one channel
on one end going to Pin 2 of the other channel on the other end. In
Belden star quad, the two blue wires equal one conductor of the pair,
the two white wires are the other wire of the pair. So if you used one
blue and one white wire for each of the two pairs, you have a 50-50
chance of not having both microphones connected to both inputs, but an
antenna connected to each input.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

wrote:
First, lift the shield at the source end. Better?

Hey, Chris... thanks for the prompt response. Sadly, the answer is No.
No improvement. Not it won't pass signal at all, it seems.

The cable I purchased does not have a ground AND shield, just a shield
(like most cable I've worked with, other than true snake cable).

Thoughts?

??? What ground? Balanced lines have two hot (signal-
carrying) wires and (usually) a sheild. No grounds, per se.

Maybe you'll need to be more specific about what you're
actually connecting. Something's getting lost in the
translation to-n-from Usenet.

Sorry - I've seen many a cable with two hot (one red, one black), a
foil shield, and another bare wire. I was trying to be clear that this
cable doesn't have that bare wire, just a braided shield and four
conductors. Usually the cable i described with the foil shield was for
install use, in conduit, not for mobile use.

Line level source =

Yamaha 01V mixer L/R main XLR outputs

Line level detination =

Eventually, a set of four powered speakers, which have line level or
mic level inputs. Currently, I'm running from the outputs of the
Yamaha into the inputs on my studio console.

Wiring is as thus:
Left: Shield to Pin 1, Red to pin 2, White to pin 3.
Right: Shield to Pin 1, Green to Pin 2, Black to Pin 3.

I've tried multiple connections:

1 Shure Beta 58 microphone, plugged into the Female end of the Left
XLR, Right Male end into my studio console. Silent until the 58 is
plugged in, then Buzz.

1 Shure Beta 58 microphone, plugged into the Female end of the Right
XLR, Right Male end into my studio console. Silent until the 58 is
plugged in, then Buzz.

1 Shure Beta 58 microphone, plugged into the Female end of the Left
XLR, Left & Right Male ends into my studio console. Silent until the
58 is plugged in, then Buzz on the Right channel.

1 Shure Beta 58 microphone, plugged into the Female end of the Right
XLR, Left & Right Male ends into my studio console. Silent until the
58 is plugged in, then Buzz on the Left Channel.

1 Shure Beta 58 microphone, plugged into the Female end of the Left
XLR, one Shure Beta 56 plugged into the Right XLR, Left & Right Male
ends into my studio console. BUZZ on both channels. Horrible buzz.

Thinking perhaps it was a connection only suitable for Line level
signals, I then tried the following:

1 Shure Beta 58 microphone, plugged into a known-good microphone
cable, plugged into Channel 1 on my Yamaha 01V. Left Output of the O1V
had the Left Female XLR of the new snake plugged into it, then ran the
Male into the input of my studio console. Every permutation of this
configuration possible also buzzed terribly.

I've checked all connections visually. I'll pull out my multimeter and
check it again. Perhaps something got perfuncled somehow.

Thanks, folks! I appreciate the assistance!

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

On Dec 6, 2:28*pm, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"coreybenson" *wrote ...

[...]

Sorry. Yes, this is how I initially wired it. I snipped the ends at
the Female connector per Chris's suggestion. The problem worsened.

Quad cables typically have two white and two blue
internal wires (at least the ones I've used had that
color convention). *I usually take the two white wires
and connect one to pin 2 and one to pin 3, and then
on the same pin numbers at the other end. Note that
since you can't tell which white wire is pin 2 and which
is pin 3, you will need to do an electrical test with a
meter or some circuit tester gadget. Then do the same
with the two blue wires, for the other channel, etc.

I've seen cable like this as well. However, this cable is Braided
Shield, Red, White, Black and Green conductors. As far as I can tell
(and I'll peel another chunk back to verify) it's NOT wired in twisted
pairs. It's 4 conductors, twisted together.

That wiring scheme has never failed to work for me
across a wide variety of applications including both
mic and line-level signals.

I typically put a 5-pin XLR on each end of the quad
cable, and then make a 5-pin to two 3-pin "Y-adapter"
cable for each end rather than trying to do an in-line
splice to bring out the individual shielded pair at the
ends. This has the added advantage of making up
end adaptors with other kinds of connectors (TRS,
or even RCA phono if needed, etc.)

This is a great idea. Wish I'd thought of it! LOL

I may run out and buy some more connectors to do this. Very slick.

An added advantage of using the 5-pin connectors on
the ends of the quad cable is that stereo microphones
use the same connector so I can easily make single-
cable runs to my stereo mics and then split out Left
and Right back at the preamp end. *And I frequently
use the Y-adaptor at the mic end when I am doing
coincident pair with discrete microphones, also.

Good point. Thanks for the suggestion!

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Dec 6, 6:00*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
coreybenson wrote:
[...]

This is definitely the next step, but visually, they all look correct,
based on my planned wiring pattern. If only I'd actually purchased
Belden, as I'd initially planned. My supplier talked me out of it.

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 17:55:59 -0800 (PST), coreybenson
wrote:

Wiring is as thus:
Left: Shield to Pin 1, Red to pin 2, White to pin 3.
Right: Shield to Pin 1, Green to Pin 2, Black to Pin 3.

This isn't American standard color code; are you
fersure-fersure that *both* ends are wired this way?
The insides of the connectors are dark...

BTW, standard is red= right +
black = right -
white = left +
green = left -

Don't mean diddly, natch.

I've tried multiple connections:

Very thorough procedure outlined

I've checked all connections visually. I'll pull out my multimeter and
check it again. Perhaps something got perfuncled somehow.

Mike Rivers' seems to best bet. The good thing about these
episodes is the permanent learning imprint, the bad thing
is that you sometimes hurt your hand leaving that imprint
in your forehead. I'm pretty lumpy, personally.

All the best fortune,
Chris Hornbeck

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"coreybenson" wrote ...
Sorry. Yes, this is how I initially wired it. I snipped
the ends at the Female connector per Chris's suggestion.
The problem worsened.

I have no clue what that means. I saw no suggestion from
Chris to snip anything?

I've seen cable like this as well. However, this cable
is Braided shield,

Makes no difference (except that it makes it harder to
do your inline splice, etc.)

Red, White, Black and Green conductors.

If you REALLY AND TRULY have the colors connected
to the proper pins at each end (and if your inline splice is
good) then you wouldn't be having a problem. I'd bet $
that you wiring is misrouted or misidentified somewhere.

Or open/shoted in your inline splice. Inline splices are
never road-worthy IMHO, and to be avoided at almost
any cost.

As far as I can tell (and I'll peel another chunk back to
verify) it's NOT wired in twisted pairs.

Quad cable is never construsted as two separate
twisted pairs because that would not be "quad".
No reason to peel back any more cable just for
this.

It's 4 conductors, twisted together.

Yes, that is the definition of "quad cable".

If you are running two *correlated* balanced signals
through the cable having all 4 wires twisted together
any problem with crosstalk is highly unlikely. In this
case "correlated" typically means a stereo pair, not
two different (and dissimilar) audio signals. Or one
line-level and one mic-level, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

coreybenson wrote:

I've seen many a cable with two hot (one red, one black), a
foil shield, and another bare wire. I was trying to be clear that this
cable doesn't have that bare wire, just a braided shield and four
conductors.

The wire in a foil-shielded cable is called the "drain wire" and it's
designed to carry current, like for phantom powering (or for ground
loops g). The foil provides the RF shielding and doesn't carry current.

me he
)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

Default Belden 82723 review? And an admission of idiocy.

On Dec 6, 6:00*pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
You tried to use the four conductors in the star quad as two
two-conductor cables? You probably got the pairing wrong.

Mike, Chris, Richard, Scott:

I'm an idiot. Popped the tester on, and voila. I reversed pins 1 & 2
on the female XLR's. Took less than 5 minutes to fix the problem.

Once again, for the record: I'm an idiot. :-)

I appreciate all of the assistance. I've been making cables for years,
and have NEVER made this mistake before. Guess my eyes aren't what
they used to be. Snake is dead silent now. Absolutely perfect.

Corey
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"coreybenson" wrote...
I appreciate all of the assistance. I've been making cables for years,
and have NEVER made this mistake before. Guess my eyes aren't what
they used to be. Snake is dead silent now. Absolutely perfect.

I bought a couple of those big magnifying glasses on an
articulated arm with a circular fluorescent light around the
rim, just for the purpose of soldering connectors. I guess
my eyes aren't getting any better with age, either. :-)
Fortunately I got them for a very low price at the Tektronix
"country store" as surplus equipment.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_] Laurence Payne[_2_] is offline

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 00:05:00 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"coreybenson" wrote...
I appreciate all of the assistance. I've been making cables for years,
and have NEVER made this mistake before. Guess my eyes aren't what
they used to be. Snake is dead silent now. Absolutely perfect.

I bought a couple of those big magnifying glasses on an
articulated arm with a circular fluorescent light around the
rim, just for the purpose of soldering connectors. I guess
my eyes aren't getting any better with age, either. :-)
Fortunately I got them for a very low price at the Tektronix
"country store" as surplus equipment.

Tell me about it :-( It was soldering up a D-connector for some
computer cable that finally brought it home that I needed glasses.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

coreybenson wrote:
On Dec 6, 6:00=A0pm, Mike Rivers wrote:
You tried to use the four conductors in the star quad as two
two-conductor cables? You probably got the pairing wrong.

Mike, Chris, Richard, Scott:

I'm an idiot. Popped the tester on, and voila. I reversed pins 1 & 2
on the female XLR's. Took less than 5 minutes to fix the problem.

Once again, for the record: I'm an idiot. :-)

I once made a whole cable harness this way. You're not the only one.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
coreybenson coreybenson is offline

"Richard Crowley" wrote in message
. ..
"coreybenson" wrote...
I appreciate all of the assistance. I've been making cables for years,
and have NEVER made this mistake before. Guess my eyes aren't what
they used to be. Snake is dead silent now. Absolutely perfect.

I bought a couple of those big magnifying glasses on an
articulated arm with a circular fluorescent light around the
rim, just for the purpose of soldering connectors. I guess
my eyes aren't getting any better with age, either. :-)
Fortunately I got them for a very low price at the Tektronix
"country store" as surplus equipment.

LOL - I USED a magnifying glas to verify connections (a holdover from my
Navy days). I just didn't use it verifying the pinout. DOH!

Thanks again for the assistance. I really appreciate it! (Corey busily wipes
egg off of face)
--
Corey Benson

Radio by dogs, for dogs:
http://www.HenryAndBuster.com/

http://www.curbsideproductions.com/

Belden? Dave Martin Pro Audio 2 February 9th 05 11:23 PM
FA: Belden 16pr Multi . NEW...100'..Roll MGM Marketplace 0 January 5th 05 11:05 AM
Audio cable - Belden - Andrew Gerome Tech 0 July 2nd 04 12:50 PM
belden Coax with Canare RCA $20 Bert Weber Marketplace 0 March 8th 04 07:37 AM
Belden 1800B AES cable T Cable Pro Audio 3 March 6th 04 03:06 PM