Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema
Mario[_2_] Mario[_2_] is offline

Default dynamic EQ feature in what A/V receivers?

Hello,

I am looking for receivers that have the Audissey Dynamic EQ feature,
Denon AVR-1709 has it, do you know any other A/V amplifiers that have
it?

DO the other brand of A/V amplifiers have similar feature? what is it
called?

Its a feature that at low level volume: ( in order not to disturb
neighbours )

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dynamicEQ.html

Have any of you used this feature? its good?

thanks

Mario
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 03:56:23 -0800 (PST), Mario
wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for receivers that have the Audissey Dynamic EQ feature,
Denon AVR-1709 has it, do you know any other A/V amplifiers that have
it?

Denon, Onkyo, Integra have it but the best info is at the Audyssey
website.

DO the other brand of A/V amplifiers have similar feature? what is it
called?

Dolby Volume

Its a feature that at low level volume: ( in order not to disturb
neighbours )

http://www.audyssey.com/technology/dynamicEQ.html

Have any of you used this feature? its good?

I've heard it but I don't use it.

Kal
Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema
David Grant David Grant is offline

Have any of you used this feature? its good?

They have another feature called MultEq which supposedly corrects for room
acoustics. My studies* to date have led me to believe that there is no
decent electronic solution to the problem of room acoustics that has been
discovered, and that any product which claims to be that solution is bogus.
I'd hesitate to put much faith in a feature designed by the same company
that touts MultEq.

*Frequency response varies based on location in the room. If you use EQ to
flatten frequency response at one point in a room, you make it worse in most
other points, and you can also add phase distortion to the signal due to the
EQ filters.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema
Kalman Rubinson[_3_] Kalman Rubinson[_3_] is offline

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 12:10:56 -0500, "David Grant"
wrote:

They have another feature called MultEq which supposedly corrects for room
acoustics. My studies* to date have led me to believe that there is no
decent electronic solution to the problem of room acoustics that has been
discovered, and that any product which claims to be that solution is bogus.
I'd hesitate to put much faith in a feature designed by the same company
that touts MultEq.

*Frequency response varies based on location in the room. If you use EQ to
flatten frequency response at one point in a room, you make it worse in most
other points, and you can also add phase distortion to the signal due to the
EQ filters.

Spoken by someone unfamiliar with Audyssey MultEQ, as it is not simply
an amplitude/frequency EQ. They acknowledge the points in your last
paragraph but have solutions. (Yes, I know, no solutions, other than
correct acoustical design and treatment, are perfect.)

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:

[...]

The problem is that everybody and his brother claims to have solutions...
last year's AES show had a dozen or so companies with magic room equalization
devices, from JBL, Genelec, and Equator down to Coneq and IK Multimedia,
and the only thing they all had in common is that they all sounded bad.

It's possible to fudge some low end problems in small rooms a little bit
with EQ, and it's possible to fudge speaker problems that cause frequency
response problems that are position-independant, but beyond that the physics
just don't work.

I don't ask for a system to be perfect, but in the case of most of the
systems I have seen they sounded substantially worse with the magic box
turned on. The exceptions were systems like the JBL which worked only
below around 200 Hz and made only mild correction.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"David Grant" wrote in message

They have another feature called MultEq which supposedly
corrects for room acoustics. My studies* to date have led
me to believe that there is no decent electronic solution
to the problem of room acoustics that has been
discovered, and that any product which claims to be that
solution is bogus. I'd hesitate to put much faith in a
feature designed by the same company that touts MultEq.

The problem of what speakers sound like in a room has several aspects, some
of which can be addressed with electronic equalization, and some of which
cannot. The big, big issue that can't be addressed very well by electronic
means relates to slap echoes and standing waves. Those are best addressed by
room design and/or room treatments.

*Frequency response varies based on location in the room.

True, but there are also overall trends.

For example, if you put a bookshelf speaker in a corner, there will be a
build up in the bass region due to the corner's effects on the speaker. The
room will tend to be bass-heavy all over.

If a speaker is designed for a very large room, it will be bass-heavy in a
small room.

If a speaker is designed for reverberant rooms, it might have a dip or a
peak in a crossover region in a dead room, or vice-versa.

Some speakers can be a little light on the bass end, but take well to
electronic equalization.

A speaker may be voiced for use in a very dead room, and then be overly
bright everywhere in a live room.

If you use EQ to flatten frequency response at one point
in a room, you make it worse in most other points,

Please see former comments about overall trends.

and you can also add phase distortion to the signal due to
the EQ filters.

Pretty much a "fear of the dark" issue. Phase response in most of the room
is soup. Its so bad it can hardly be hurt.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema

On 9 Dec 2008 17:09:15 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

The problem is that everybody and his brother claims to have solutions...
last year's AES show had a dozen or so companies with magic room equalization
devices, from JBL, Genelec, and Equator down to Coneq and IK Multimedia,
and the only thing they all had in common is that they all sounded bad.

I cannot dispute that since I have not used, listened to or measured
those systems. I did get a nice technical run-through of the JBL
system but not a demo.

It's possible to fudge some low end problems in small rooms a little bit
with EQ, and it's possible to fudge speaker problems that cause frequency
response problems that are position-independant, but beyond that the physics
just don't work.

Again. No argument. Filtering for room modes at low frequencies can
be quite effective especially since physical acoustical treatments for
those frequencies are bulky and generally eschewed by the domestic
user. Simple electroniv magnitude EQ at higher frequencies can be
done but is more easily accomplished physically.

I don't ask for a system to be perfect, but in the case of most of the
systems I have seen they sounded substantially worse with the magic box
turned on. The exceptions were systems like the JBL which worked only
below around 200 Hz and made only mild correction.

I have a similar experience with the Meridian system but several
Audyssey implementations have been very effective and more than
acceptable for domestic use.

Kal

Posted to rec.audio.pro,alt.home-theater.misc,aus.audio-visual.home-cinema

In alt.home-theater.misc Mario wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for receivers that have the Audissey Dynamic EQ feature,
Denon AVR-1709 has it, do you know any other A/V amplifiers that have
it?

Did you look on the Audyssey website?

http://www.audyssey.com/products/index.html

--
-S
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the greatest complexity, can